Tactical Fixed Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TVOSK

Tactical Fixed Blade

Post by TVOSK »

I would love to see Spyderco create a fixed blade geared toward Police/Military/SWAT...something with a black blade 4.5 to 5 inches, G-10 scales and possibly compatible with a Molle sheath. I'm an avid Spyderco user but theres nothing like this that I can carry on duty. Any chance on adding something like this to the SAVE & SERVE line-up?
Courage is rightly esteemed to first of human qualities... because it is the quality that guarantees all others. -Winston Churchill
JD Spydo

Tactical Temperance FB-05

Post by JD Spydo »

I really like your idea of a Spyderco tactical fixed blade knife. They've had a couple of them but I have an idea for one that I think almost anyone would like. I wish that they would make a tactical version of the FB Temperance model. I've always thought that knife would be a tactical gem with a better handle and a tactical sheath I truly think it would be a winner :cool: .
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
ronberens

Post by ronberens »

I'd like to see one like the tactical blades Dozier offers. 3 - 3 1/2 inch blade with a micarta or CF handle. Maybe a blade profile like the T-mag, or the old Terzuola folders from back in the mid 1990's.
TVOSK

Post by TVOSK »

I think the lack of a high end tactical fixed blade leaves a hole in an otherwise perfect line-up. Spyderco added Automatics to the line -up and did a great job. (I have both) I hope to see this hole filled soon to.
Courage is rightly esteemed to first of human qualities... because it is the quality that guarantees all others. -Winston Churchill
Shike

Post by Shike »

JD Spydo

I'll second Dozier

Post by JD Spydo »

ronberens wrote:I'd like to see one like the tactical blades Dozier offers. 3 - 3 1/2 inch blade with a micarta or CF handle. Maybe a blade profile like the T-mag, or the old Terzuola folders from back in the mid 1990's.

I like that idea :) I've thought for a long time that Spyderco and Bob Dozier would make a great collaboration :cool:

Not only do I think that a Dozier design would be great for this proposal but I bet that Spyderco and Bob Dozier could come up with one super hunting knife also :cool:

I've met Mr. Dozier on a couple of occasions and I thought he was a great guy. Not to mention his knives are that of a master craftsman.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

I'd definitely like to see an offering from Spyderco in the size/style range the OP mentioned.
~ Nate
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

Well, if I remember correctly, there will not be a Dozier collaboration.

TVOSK -

What purpose do you see needs to be accomplished, that a current Spyderco product does not accomplish?

What features do you believe have to be present, to meet your requirements?

Length? Thickness? Width? Construction? Materials?

And a specific question from my perspective.... Does it have to be 4.5 to 5 inches, or could it be 6 inches?
Marion David Poff
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

Have you seen the Perrin Streat Beat? Not sure if it fits your needs or not, but it's worth a look.
:spyder: The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their swords, in such a just and charitable war.
-William Shakespeare :spyder:
JD Spydo

Street Beat: probably too small

Post by JD Spydo »

DFD04 wrote:Have you seen the Perrin Streat Beat? Not sure if it fits your needs or not, but it's worth a look.
I would be willing to bet that he wants something a bit larger than the "Street Beat". Now don't get me wrong because it is a very well designed blade with super quality construction but it sure was too small for what I need a fixed blade for.

I would also be willing to bet that for this kind of a tactical fixed blade you would need at least a 4.5 to 5.5 inch long blade.

I would be almost certain that the first Spyderco Perrin would be much closer to TVOSK's desire for the perfect fixed blade :)

OK where were we:? A tactical blade with some type of high tech coating. Hopefully a Micarta or G-10 handle and maybe a blade with a tool steel like CPM-D2. Oh and don't forget we need a really nice tactical sheath. I sure wish Mike Sastre would chime in on this one. I'll see if I can run him down ;)
TVOSK

Post by TVOSK »

I really like the design of the Street Beat but agree that it is WAY too small. I think that this knife has to have full tang, a non-reflective black blade, possibly either D-2, 154CM or S30V steel and be made a combo edge with either a drop point or a tanto style blade design...I also like the idea of a glassbreaking tip, and it being compatable with a molle style sheath...I would like to see a 5" blade with and overall length to be around 10" and a G-10 handle with a deep finger choil.

Sal has done a unbelievable job with the Military and Paramilitary (best knife ever) and I could see this fixed blade following that path as well.

I think JD Spydo is on the money...I would like a few designers to chime in on this...
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

TVOSK wrote:I would love to see Spyderco create a fixed blade geared toward Police/Military/SWAT...something with a black blade 4.5 to 5 inches, G-10 scales and possibly compatible with a Molle sheath. I'm an avid Spyderco user but theres nothing like this that I can carry on duty. Any chance on adding something like this to the SAVE & SERVE line-up?
Well, there was the Spyderco/Fred Perrin FB04PBOD, and it seems to fit some of your criteria, except it was a very exclusive sprint run. But I guess it shows what is possible. Here's a pic link:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... red+perrin
TVOSK

Post by TVOSK »

That Perrin Sprint run with the black blade is awesome...thats what I am talking about...Thanks for the pics...
JD Spydo

The Temperance: Has tactical potential

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm still not giving up on a Temperance FB05 with a coated blade and possibly made with an exotic tool steel ( preferrably Crucible ;) )

Don't get me wrong that older Perrin is one that I traded that I truly wish I had back. However I did trade well for it. This Sprint run is one I missed during my time away from Spyderville and I'm sure I'll be working overtime to attain one eventually.

But do consider an FB05 Temperance with a boron carbide coating, Micarta handle and a Mike Sastre tactical sheath. It's worth considering to say the least.

And what about a laminated VG-10 blade :cool:
cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

I don't think Spyderco needs to fill this area. If you were looking for a tactical blade, you would look for (in no particular order):

A) Kabar
B) Chris Reeve
C) Strider

and not Spyderco...they don't fit that 'image'.
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN
:spyder: SPYDIE NUT
:spyder:

:spyder: Spyderco OG Manix PE
:spyder: Spyderco Black Dodo SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Black Paramilitary PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco SPOT PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco OG Blackhawk SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Ladybug/Photon *gone*
TVOSK

Post by TVOSK »

Cyberspyder,
Im not sure what you mean by "they dont fit that image"...I know I can get tactical fixed blades other places, but if given the choice, I'd chose Spyderco...We're just throwing ideas out there...
cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

Granted, this is a Spyderco forum...I'm just suggesting that even IF there was a Spyderco tact. FB, they'd be introduced in a market where the other manufacturers I listed excel at. Not sure on whether or not that's goiong to be sucessful.
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN
:spyder: SPYDIE NUT
:spyder:

:spyder: Spyderco OG Manix PE
:spyder: Spyderco Black Dodo SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Black Paramilitary PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco SPOT PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco OG Blackhawk SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Ladybug/Photon *gone*
sal

Post by sal »

Hi TVOSK,

I think that it depends on what you think a "tactical Fixed blade" knife is?

Assuming "Tactical" means "short time" is an issue, as opposed to "strategic", where planning time is available.

Function and "looks" also become a major design consideration. Spyderco is primarily focused on function. We make very few knives with thought to making them primarily eye appealing.

What is the intended use for this tactical fixed blade?

sal
TVOSK

Post by TVOSK »

Sal,
Thanks for replying...I was thinking something a little heavier duty designed specificly for Police/Military...kinda like the way you designed the Military/Paramilitary for the duties that they will encounter..I would love to see a fixed blade designed for similar purposes...
sal

Post by sal »

The Military and Paramilitary are designed to be light, strong reliable folders. The key being folders which take up less space and weight than fixed blades. Most Military are issued a knife, which is ususally not the best cutting tool.

Fixed blades, especially with 4.5"-5" blades, plus a handle of 5" or more gives you a very large package. Far more difficult for a Law enforcement professional to carry and would probably not be used as a "duty issue" for military, which are most often used for digging and prying rather than cutting.

We have a design for a Temperance2 with a full tang, micarta scales and a 5" flat ground blade. It would still be large for many to carry. It's something that I would carry out in the forest but not likely in urban situation, where it would be somewhat cumbersome and probably illegal.

sal