I'm Not Kidding...Purple G10 Hawkbill Scales!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Hawkbill + Purple G10

Poll ended at Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:30 am

YEAH!!
52%
(no)
30%
Yes, but only if...
15%
No, unless...
4%

Total votes: 54

Agent Starling

I'm Not Kidding...Purple G10 Hawkbill Scales!!

Post by Agent Starling »

OK, so I can't get the Hawkbill thread to load, JD's on the hawkbill warpath, and I'm in a pickle. So I'll do my small part right here... :D

Purple is my favourite colour...so I'll ask the question: who's up for Dark Purple G10 Scales on this new Fantasy Hawkbill?

Doc Snubnose has said to me: "Spray paint, Starling, spray paint!"

But I'm afraid that won't do...Real G10 with Real Purple on it made by the Spyder Factory it has to be, I'm afraid.

Anyway, I'll stop talking and get on with this...who's with me on the purple G10 scales?

Agent Starling :D
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
JD Spydo

Timely and appropriate

Post by JD Spydo »

How incredibly timely Agent Starling :cool: With our new trial baloon for a new Hawkbill just being launched this morning your timing couldn't have been better for this poll and discussion.

To bring the rest of you up to speed we had a proposal for another New Hawkbill this morning. One brother suggested the possibility of a New Matriarch. But it will be proportioned differently. It will be a 3 inch blade proportioned down to being Delica sized. Also with a beefy ( hopefully purple G-10) G-10 handle and a compression lock to boot.

You call can check it out on the Hawkbill thread. We are ironing out the details at this time. Now's the Time for a Purple G-10 handle ;)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Billy

Post by Billy »

I would definitely like to see some purple G-10 on the next hawkie! Sounds cool. :cool:
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Eh, it wouldn't be my thing, but who am I to say no to those who want it?

I suppose ambivalent is the word for me, but keep reaching for that purple G-10 star!
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I kinda like purple, so I voted yeah ;)

Heck, as long as the blade is in full SpyderEdge I'll even settle for pink :D
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
gandalfe

Post by gandalfe »

Purple is my favorite colour.Spyderco is a bold enough company to pull this off.A purple Endura would go well with my pink one.They would even make a good team.
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

You've got to be kidding me.

Umm

No!

I have nothing against purple. But from a purely business standpoint its crazy!
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
v8r

Post by v8r »

purple would probably make it a little more sheeple friendly! :p
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Guess the first question would be, is purple G-10 commercially available. If so, then consider aftermarket modification by one of our esteemed customizers. If not, I don't see much hope for it, too limited a market. Like Brad, I have nothing against purple, heck I even have a couple purple Kiwis. :D But I agree with him that the market would be way too limited, especially if it had to be made to order like the foliage green and digital camo stuff.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

gandalfe wrote:A purple Endura would go well with my pink one.
a new endura..im in ;)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
nuubee

more colors, please...

Post by nuubee »

It may not be as economically feasible, but I like bright/rich colors on Spydies, and I wish there were more options in that regard. I do like what another company has done on a series of knives with axis locks, even though I don't own any of them (and I know that any allusion to that company tends to engender strong feelings on this forum). I'd like to see more models in 'Dodo blue', whether it was FRN or G-10, and I would like to see purple, too. I don't own the pink delica yet, but I will eventually. I think 'colors' are definitely more NKP-friendly.

I received my 5th Spydie in the mail today, a Ti Salsa (s/n 065V). I like it a lot.
JD Spydo

It's just a good idea overall

Post by JD Spydo »

When you think about how unique Spyderco's Hawkbill blades are it just makes good marketing sense to me to designate certain colors for highly specialized blades i.e. Hawkbills and other Special purpose blades.

Now Deacon does raise an interesting point as to whether or not Purple G-10 is even commercially available. With as much G-10 that is being used I'm sure they are already using it or they could produce any color if you would buy enough of it.

I just recently was working as a mechanic in an injection molding plant and at that facility we could concoct any color imaginable with combinations of resin colorants similar to what you see them use in paint stores to manufacture a wide array of colors of plastic products. We even had a guy whose job it was to see that certain parts that were made with the customer's specified color. G-10 is a different polyer than most injection plastics for sure but if they can already color it black, blue & red then they could certainly color it purple.

Being Spyderco has made so many knives already with very unique handle materials, distinct colors and a lot of unorthadox styles which many collectors find attractive and desirable I can't see why Purple wouldn't be a good seller for certain blades.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Yes, but only if its NOT the superhawk
catamount

Post by catamount »

I'm thinking a sprint run of the Merlin in purple FRN might have more chance of becoming a reality.

I'd go for a darker purple.

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34724
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
JD Spydo

color me serrated

Post by JD Spydo »

RIOT wrote:Yes, but only if its NOT the superhawk
You know Mr. RIOT you just touched on something :) Remembering the old Spyderhawk model they had a fully serrated version with a black handle and they also had a plain edged version with a blue handle. It was a good way to differentiate the 2 models and it added to the unique appeal and collectibility of them as well.

Being we have started to lobby for a fully serrated Superhawk it would only make good sense to have a certain designated color for it's handle if it ever comes to fruition. And purple would be fine with me ;)
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

Whatever pulls your handle, I myself lean towards the earthtone and black colors. :cool:
learning it the hard way... :rolleyes:
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Tricod wrote:You've got to be kidding me.

Umm

No!

I have nothing against purple. But from a purely business standpoint its crazy!
Prince wasn't kidding, bro...and he made a WHOLE lotta money out of using the color purple and being the Purple Funk Prince...but thanks for you input!! ;) :D :spyder:

Agent Starling
JBE

Post by JBE »

As interesting as that color of G10 handle sounds, I just can't see Spyderco purchasing that particular color of G10 just to produce one variant of a single knife. (Of course there is the camo Millie, but then maybe we haven't seen the end of camo G10 either). Add to that, I don't think the Superhawk became quite as popular as many were hoping it would be (but that's just my opinion based on what I've read in the forums). Realistically, we're more likely to see such a color variation on a FRN-handled model.
Jason
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

Nope sorry Starling. I don't mean to say that I dislike the color purple, I don't. In fact it's also one of my favorites. Just not on my knives.
Feeding the addiction

Proud member of The Cult of the Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Agent Starling

Spyderville has Spoken...

Post by Agent Starling »

Hey, all great input, I hoped this thread would sort of get it all on the table:
who is for, who is opposed, and the reasons why! ;) :D

This purple issue goes way back before my time, I think Dr. Lecter started it, and maybe some other brothers, in the Now's the Time Hawkbill Thread...I just love the color and simply thought to revive the idea... :cool:

Agent Starling :D