What are you reading these days?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Pyres

What are you reading these days?

Post by Doc Pyres »

In honour of Agent Starling's excellent recent thread, "What Music are you listening to lately?" I'd like to hear what people are reading - books, magazines, newspapers, online stuff, whatever strikes your fancy.

I've usually got a few books going simultaneously but when I get busy, my reading usually goes on the backburner. For now though, I'm on vacation, so it's reading heaven. :D In addition to this wonderful forum and the daily online news sites I visit, I'm reading the following:

The Dragon Syndicates - The Global Phenomenon of the Triads by Martin Booth

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan (Sci-fi)

And the latest edition of Motor Trend :)
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I'm most of the way through a book called "Tyranosaur Canyon"

It's more of a mystery thriller, but there is a bit of science in there too. It's not a bad read.

But other than that I really Highly reccomend Harlan Coben. He writes in a way that no other can (IMHO of course :) ). I'd say start with Tell No One
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

lets see...

The Prince by Machiavelli

Learning Perl, Learning the BASH Shell, and Bash cookbook... all by O'Reilly (getting back to my programming, referencing all 3 at the same time)

CyberTerror by Pineiro

The Historian by Kostova
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

I am rereading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I am on Lord of Chaos right now. It is sad that RJ passed away before he could complete what is pretty much the best fantasy series ever. I heard that his wife has picked out an author to finish the series from RJ's notes. I read some of his books and was impressed.

Also reading: Handguns mag, Guns & Ammo, about 10 or some comics I get every month.

Watching: BaliYo DVD :D
Agent Starling

aw, shucks...

Post by Agent Starling »

Doc Pyres wrote:In honour of Agent Starling's excellent recent thread, "What Music are you listening to lately?" I'd like to hear what people are reading - books, magazines, newspapers, online stuff, whatever strikes your fancy.
Glad it tickled your fancy, Doc P. :)

I'm done w/school & studying for my boards now, so it's full-on geekdom all the way.

But in June and July I read a few Dean Koontz books...zen's recent thread got me started on that, as I had never heard of DK before...so I read Intensity, Life Expectancy, and The Husband. All are excellent reads! :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Tank

Post by Tank »

I just started Brimstone by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child and next is the Black Order by James Rollins. Rollins has become one of my favorite authors. All his books are page turners. A mix of action adventure and sci-fi with a touch of non fiction in the mix.
As far as mags go.. Popular Mechanics and Popular Science and the Smithsonian are the current subscriptions
-John
Shike

Post by Shike »

I try to find old classic first edition books for my young son. So right now I am reading a first edition (1914) Tarzan of the Apes :D
Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

a history of The Khyber Rifles.

As well as manual on building stitch and glue plywood Kayaks.
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Shike wrote:I try to find old classic first edition books for my young son. So right now I am reading a first edition (1914) Tarzan of the Apes :D
see if you have any flea markets or book resellers around you ;)

I've got a few old and rare books in my collection, usually bought for a couple bucks :D
The local orchestra has an annual book sale with donated books, and they carry over books for a couple years before recycling if they don't sell. We're talking $100 text books for $5-6, early 20th century works for $2-10 depending on quality. Picked up a 4 book collector set of Dune in paperback for $10 this year, still in plastic :cool:

Get most of my reference books from an antiques/reseller guy on the other side of the city... but with them being in as good condition as possible he charges 25-50% of the book's original price. Think my philosophy books were about $20.
Still think my best find was the old college dictionary for $8-10... I think it's 1968, have to confirm when I get home.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
gac

Post by gac »

Recently read:
Tango For a Torturer by Daniel Chavarria
Dirty Money by Richard Stark
Volk's Shadow by Brent Ghelfi
Dust Devils by James Reasoner

Waiting or in the process:
That's Alright Elvis: the untold story of Elvis's first guitarist and manager, Scotty Moore
Bill Mauldin : a life up front
A dirty war : a Russian reporter in Chechnya
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

One Shot and The Hard Way by Lee Child
The Day Before Midnight by Stephen Hunter

I re-read Den of Thieves by James Stewart recently too, since the more I look at about the troubles of the subprime credit and mortgage markets the more it reminds me of what I read in that book about the junk bond boom and bust of the 1980s.

Havana by Stephen Hunter is on deck, as well as Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon since it was the basis for one of my all time favorite TV shows and I've been meaning to get to it for years now.

As far as magazines go, I get Blade and F1 Racing. I might pick up the odd Road & Track if it has something that interests me when I leaf through it at the store.
~ Nate
Shike

Post by Shike »

vampyrewolf wrote:see if you have any flea markets or book resellers around you ;)

I've got a few old and rare books in my collection, usually bought for a couple bucks :D
The local orchestra has an annual book sale with donated books, and they carry over books for a couple years before recycling if they don't sell. We're talking $100 text books for $5-6, early 20th century works for $2-10 depending on quality. Picked up a 4 book collector set of Dune in paperback for $10 this year, still in plastic :cool:

Get most of my reference books from an antiques/reseller guy on the other side of the city... but with them being in as good condition as possible he charges 25-50% of the book's original price. Think my philosophy books were about $20.
Still think my best find was the old college dictionary for $8-10... I think it's 1968, have to confirm when I get home.
Thank you! That is a very good idea.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Cisco CCNA ICND2 book from Cisco Press. It's about a 700 page hardback book to help with my Cisco certification that I will shortly be getting. Yeah I know.......geeky technical reading. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

"Materials for Inspirational Design" and "Making It"
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Do newspapers count? I read the Wall Street Journal every morning! :)

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Agent Starling wrote:Do newspapers count? I read the Wall Street Journal every morning! :)

Agent Starling
Definitely newspapers count. :) I much prefer print news to the TV variety anyway. The Economist is one of my favorite newspapers, but trying to keep up with international news, local news here in Korea, and news from back home in Canada, I end up reading multiple online papers as well.
JBE

Post by JBE »

I just finished John Grisham's "The Appeal" a few short weeks ago. Nothing else on the must-read fiction list at the moment.

As far as magazines, I have a subscription to the trade journal "EMS Magazine" which is published monthly.
Jason
LowSpeedHighDrag

Post by LowSpeedHighDrag »

No True Glory by Bing West describing the Marines in Fallujah, great pro-USMC book.
I just finished Generation Kill by Evan Wright. And Im also reading One Bullet Away by Ret. USMC Cpt. Nate Fick.

A devildog has to know his past present and future.
MOLON LABE
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis:

Out of the Silent Planet
Perelandra
That Hideous Strength

They can be read out of order but if possible, go in the order listed.
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

glockfire wrote:No True Glory by Bing West describing the Marines in Fallujah, great pro-USMC book.
I just finished Generation Kill by Evan Wright. And Im also reading One Bullet Away by Ret. USMC Cpt. Nate Fick.

A devildog has to know his past present and future.
'No True Glory' and 'Generation Kill' are both excellent books. I think I'll have to get to 'One Bullet Away' soon. Not specifically about the USMC, but good reads about the war nonetheless, are 'Not a Good Day to Die' by Sean Naylor, and 'Roberts Ridge' by Malcolm MacPherson (both about Afghanistan). 'Ambush Alley' is an excellent book about US Marines from Task Force Tarawa in Nasiriyah (although you've probably read that one already, Glockfire :) )