Tanto Style Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SelfDefenseNut

Tanto Style Military

Post by SelfDefenseNut »

I'd be more than interested if Spyderco were to combine my two favorite
models of all time. The Mili and Lum Tanto. Specifically I'd love to see
a flat ground, wider and thicker tanto style blade with black matte BodyCote
and the larger thumb whole. My problem with the Lum tanto besides it's unnecesary weight was that the blade was too thin. I gave one to my stepfather who is retired INTERPOL and is very tough on blades and he snapped it in half in the field. A Mili tanto would rival the tanto folders from Stryder which in my opinion are too pricey, bulky and quite ugly. Is anyone else interested in this style of blade? I know I'd purchase at least one for my self and one for my son.
Attachments
mili_lumtanto.jpg
mili_lumtanto.jpg (49.28 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
markg

Post by markg »

I would consider it... I would have to see it first.
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

Definatly. I would have to see it first. it could be a ugo or a real beaut.
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Hey SDN. Welcome to the Spyderco Forums!

A couple of quick questions. How did your stepdad manage to break the Lum Tanto blade in half? Was he chopping or prying with it? Sounds very unusual.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
SelfDefenseNut

Post by SelfDefenseNut »

Yeah I'm sure he expected stronger steel and tried to pry something but it snapped in the middle not near the tip. I don't think it's that unusual because I have snapped an old Endura before. I think it's a tribute to Spyderco that users would even think of using their blades for prying.
DRod

Post by DRod »

Sounds interesting.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
Zozo*HC*

Post by Zozo*HC* »

i would buy one too :D thats sounds like a real hardcore piece! i love tanto and i absolutely love my military, 2 things in one knife, that's sweet!
No sacrifice, No victory!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

To me full flat grind and tanto do not go together. Tantos are supposed to have strong tips for doing more grunt work and/or piercign work. If I want a Tanto blade I wouldn't want it to be full flat grind. I prefer the LUM Tanto as is. I just want them to make it again so I can buy one without having to sell my limbs to do so. I would also like to see the LUM tanto be brought back as a compression lock or a back lock.

:D
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
kimjune01

Post by kimjune01 »

Like this?
LouDog5446

Post by LouDog5446 »

I'd buy
gac

Post by gac »

I greatly dislike tanto blades. To me they have no use. The point on my Native is plenty sharp to pierce anything I need to. If I need to pry something I'll use an appropriate tool.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Lets just ask for a sprint of the Lum Tanto
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Snapped the blade on a Lum tanto?

Wow.

No offence, but if you're prying at that level, perhaps a crowbar or a wonderbar would have been a better choice. Though I know sometimes a job needs to be done without the right tools.

You would not get any more blade strength out of the mili's blade though, I doubt the blade stock is that much thicker, and the full flat grind reduces the cross sectional area by a very large amount (about half I'd guess).

Personally though, I probably wouldn't buy a tanto. I'm a user of my knives, and I don't see the tanto blade shape as helpful to the chores I often do. I would be interested if it was a approx 2.5 inch blade with a full flat grind and a deep grind on the tip (think Salsa with a tanto blade).
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
SelfDefenseNut

Post by SelfDefenseNut »

David Lowry wrote:To me full flat grind and tanto do not go together. Tantos are supposed to have strong tips for doing more grunt work and/or piercign work. If I want a Tanto blade I wouldn't want it to be full flat grind. I prefer the LUM Tanto as is. I just want them to make it again so I can buy one without having to sell my limbs to do so. I would also like to see the LUM tanto be brought back as a compression lock or a back lock.

:D
You might have a point David but studying the blade up close I'm not sure that a flat ground blade would compromise it's tip strength. I have to admit that I haven't seen a flat ground tanto but that doesn't mean it's technically unsound or a bad idea. Honestly I believe that if the Lum were released again it could benefit from some improvements. If you don't like tanto style blades then this discussion is moot but for us who like variety a complete Spyderco tanto blade would be a welcome addition.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

gac wrote:I greatly dislike tanto blades. To me they have no use. The point on my Native is plenty sharp to pierce anything I need to. If I need to pry something I'll use an appropriate tool.
Xactly what he said. Don't have one, and don't want one - not dissin' all you who like them, though.

- best wishes, Jazz.
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

I wouldn't want to own a tanto blade, as I really don't plan on stabbing on anyone. The only reason I bought my millie is because of the long belly blade for slicing :)
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
kimjune01

Post by kimjune01 »

perhaps a sheepsfoot is better suited for prying if needed?
DRod

Post by DRod »

kimjune01 wrote:perhaps a sheepsfoot is better suited for prying if needed?
a Military Rescue perhaps?
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
sal

Post by sal »

The Tanto tip was created to pierce bamboo body armor. They wer used on longer Japanese swords. A tanto tip is rel;ly more like the Military is now.

However, for the purposes of discussion:

It takes quite a bit of pressure to bread a piece of 3mm thick heat treated steel. I would be curious as to what he was actually doing (detail) and how much force was applied.

The only advantage that I can see of a full flat ground "tanto" style blade would be: the "extra" tip at the bend of the blade, the flat (straight) edge that could be created from the "bend" to the tip, and the fact that it would be thinner for slicing.

A full flat tanto would not be as effective to pry with, than a saber grind in my opinion.

sal
SelfDefenseNut

Post by SelfDefenseNut »

Obviously I can't argue with you Sal, you know your stuff very well. I would ask your opinion however on this Strider, seemingly flat ground blade. I would have to say that I prefer it's profile over the Lum tanto.
Attachments
gb(1).jpg
gb(1).jpg (33.43 KiB) Viewed 2074 times