Recommend a Watch.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
fellyjr

My Favorite Watch

Post by fellyjr »

If your into chronograpghs and not worried about the cost (MSRP $9,200) then I highly recommend the Rolex Stainless Steel Cosmograph Daytona. ;) IMO this is the cream of the crop! I have one in each dial color they offer. :cool:

fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

You could also check out Panerai. Here's the one I wear the most. It's the 286 Luminor Regatta Rattrapante with a Paris Hobnail dial and limited to 500 pieces worldwide. I fell in love with the splash of blue on the sub dial and chrono hand.

MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

Are you into watches Now Felly>jr...

9200 FOR A WATCH. I think you suck felly.jr.
Maarten
member of FFG Club
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

MAT888 wrote:Are you into watches Now Felly>jr...

9200 FOR A WATCH. I think you suck felly.jr.
9,200 is CHEAP compared to the prices of a lot of other fine Swiss timepieces! ;)
My 286 in the pic above was $13,700. :eek: :eek: :D :D

Not sure what you mean by "you suck", but I'll take it as a friendly jibe or insult. :p :rolleyes: :D
Shike

Post by Shike »

Nice watches Felly! Rolex are the bomb!!! One of theses days......... A Submariner or a GMT master.

Regards

Shike
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

fellyjr wrote:9,200 is CHEAP compared to the prices of a lot of other fine Swiss timepieces! ;)
My 286 in the pic above was $13,700. :eek: :eek: :D :D

Not sure what you mean by "you suck", but I'll take it as a friendly jibe or insult. :p :rolleyes: :D
Why spend so much on a watch when you can spend it on your nephew's first car...??? Or a new Thermo pump that will reduces your energy consumption... or just get a 2500.00 watch and spend the rest in your country in travelings, voyages, trips and restaurants so the economy will rise......

I think spending THAT much on a watch is..... Well.... Insane...

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
nathan310

Post by nathan310 »

Vincent wrote:Can you guys recommend me a watch. I think I want something thats quite rugged but also classy for dress. I also think I would want a Analog rather than a digital.
Rolex submariner is one of the best out there if you can afford it!

If you have even more get the rolex daytona.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

psimonl wrote:Why spend so much on a watch when you can spend it on your nephew's first car...??? Or a new Thermo pump that will reduces your energy consumption... or just get a 2500.00 watch and spend the rest in your country in travelings, voyages, trips and restaurants so the economy will rise......

I think spending THAT much on a watch is..... Well.... Insane...

Simon
Why not get your Nephew his first car, get the thermo pump that reduces energy consumption, get the watch of your choice AND go traveling?? Some can afford it, so if you can then why not?

As for insane Simon, there are watches that cost more than a lot of houses or sports cars.........THAT'S Insane.......... :eek: :D
Qrt

Post by Qrt »

buying a rolex is far from insane, seeing that they only go up in value after you buy them
Shike

Post by Shike »

A Rolex is always like $ the bank.
huugh

Post by huugh »

I haven't worn a watch for years now. It just got redundant when you have to carry a phone with you. (If I could choose, I would not carry a phone, a wallet nor keys :) )

However, if I was to buy a watch, can you push me forward to something plain and simple like this (but much cheaper, no way I could afford Rolex :) , actually, I think $500 would be bit too much)?
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Qrt wrote:buying a rolex is far from insane, seeing that they only go up in value after you buy them
Very true. The Rolex that I own have gone up between 2 to 5 thousand dollars the very second I left the store. :D
Shike wrote:A Rolex is always like $ the bank.
You should see what the Rolex that cost a few hundred in the 70's are selling for now........Astronomical! ;) :cool:
Raqudu

Post by Raqudu »

kraziekurtis wrote:I've had a Citizen EcoDrive Blue Angels Skyhawk for over 8 years now. Still going strong (minus a chip out of the glass and a few scratches... accidentally smacked it real hard into the end of a beam at work :( ) If I don't wear it for a while or leave it inside in a dark area I have to put it in the sunlight for 24 hours for it to work again.
About the same for me and my Blue Angels Skyhawk. Got too close to a cinder block wall while moving in to my wife's house a few years ago. They're not chips and scratches, they're memories.

The Citizen Eco-drives are great watches - no batteries, good looks and moderately priced.
Raqudu :D

Freedom is never a gift. It is the "pearl of great price" in anguish won.
[RIGHT]- The Theological Concept of Freedom[/RIGHT]

"Well, it's a nice soft night so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason."
[RIGHT]- Michaleen Flynn (Barry Fitzgerald) in "The Quiet Man"[/RIGHT]
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Vincent wrote:Can you guys recommend me a watch. I think I want something thats quite rugged but also classy for dress. I also think I would want a Analog rather than a digital.
i'd strongly recommend a good invicta. not too spendy (check out ebay and you'll find sweet deals under $100) for an amazing deal in looks, quality, and durability. find one with a sapphire crystal if you can -- that thing'll never scratch. swiss movement on most of them. mine has no problem going from grant-writing in an office to fishing in salt for shark and roaring rivers for coho salmon... and back again. i've beaten the bejesus out of it climbing around on rocks, scraping it accidentally over barnacles... and it still looks impeccable.

i've had really bad luck with skagens.
JT

Post by JT »

My choices, all quite cheap, but good for the cost:

-Seiko SKX 007:
rugged, yet somewhat dressy, self-winding=no batteries needed, ever. Keeps good time, I regulated mine, now it's +-3sec/ day...

-Ollech&Wajs:
any diver M- models, or M65 or MP, all auto's.. Swiss made ETA 2824-2 movements, again, +-3sec/ day..

more rugged:
-Luminox/H3/Traser with Tritium, guaranteed to see the time in the dark :cool: I use mine as we speak, @work, nightshift.

-Casio G-shock, many models to choose from. I abuse my Mudman a lot.. riding my bike, etc..
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
DRod

Post by DRod »

Im a Timex guy. They always work fine for me and aren't too pricey.
Mine I got this morning actually.
Note the stubble on the back of my hand. :p
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
cedjunior

Post by cedjunior »

Swiss Army makes some decent watches ;)

cwt

Post by cwt »

I think it's funny that there aren't more SAK watches or at least related brands. Here's mine, after a few years of wear... holding up pretty well, I think. FWIW, my Dad has 2 Breitlings and he's had to have one of them repaired a couple times. YMMV.

Edit: almost forgot, I have one of those Eco-drives too, and it's nice looking but I could never get the band to fit the way I wanted, so it's not my EDC. Might fit your tough but dressy rule.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Anyone heard of the Rolex green crystal Milgauss?

Th232

Post by Th232 »

Haven't heard of it, but I get this distinct feeling that I'll go into shock if I hear the price...
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.