Is the Native 3 lined?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Veegun

Is the Native 3 lined?

Post by Veegun »

Seems kind of big to be unscrewed and unlined.

Does it hold up well to use?
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

VG 10 Japan made Native 3 is not lined.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
dete

Post by dete »

memories...
making me wish I still had mine...
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

No worries about the lack of liners. Natives (both the C41 Native and the C78 Native III) are tough knives and the handles will take lots of good hard use.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
Farmall

Post by Farmall »

what's the difference between the 1,2, and 3?
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

All Natives have pinned construction and all unlined.

Picture below shows (From Left to Right):
1) BRK Native (red-headed stepchild Native, sometimes known as pseudo Native or Native 0.5 :p )
2-5) Native I, silver blade and black bladed versions. Rarer ones would be the black bladed PE. Flattish FRN handles (compared with Native III), flat clip. Made in Golden, CO
6 & 7) Native II, stainless steel versions of Native I, same grinds different steels IIRC. I think made in Seki in VG10 ???. Someone help me out (sorry at office ATM and hurriedly trying to answer fellow forumites query). Rarer version is the PE one.
8 & 9) Native III, made in Seki, Japan. Also refered to as Native 3D in reference to its contoured handles. It's got a different blade grind to it. Wire clip :D

A few more Natives below. A lot of them have now sadly had to depart my residence to be enjoyed by fellow Spydernuts :)

IMHO the Native I & II ride better in pocket or in waistband due to their flatter profile. To me the Native III is better in hand and clipped in hip pockets. Also, to me for harder use the Native III seems to be more solid. And I think the Native I is a tad lighter. No need to worry about ANY of the Natives being flimsy, as they are all rock solid and can take almost any abuse that 99% of people can throw at it.

The Native II makes awesome gifts as the S/S platform just begs for laser engraving. I'll see if I can dig up an engraved pic.

The Deacon's personal Spyderco collecting website ( http://www.paulberetta.com ) is the best resource I know for anything to do with Natives...and other Spydies. And along with UK Ken they both ushered me toward my first love..... Natives :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

datan wrote:All Natives have pinned construction and all unlined.

Picture below shows (From Left to Right):
1) BRK Native (red-headed stepchild Native, sometimes known as pseudo Native or Native 0.5 :p )
2-5) Native I, silver blade and black bladed versions. Rarer ones would be the black bladed PE. Flattish FRN handles (compared with Native III), flat clip. Made in Golden, CO
6 & 7) Native II, stainless steel versions of Native I, same grinds different steels IIRC. I think made in Seki in VG10 ???. Someone help me out (sorry at office ATM and hurriedly trying to answer fellow forumites query). Rarer version is the PE one.
8 & 9) Native III, made in Seki, Japan. Also refered to as Native 3D in reference to its contoured handles. It's got a different blade grind to it. Wire clip :D

A few more Natives below. A lot of them have now sadly had to depart my residence to be enjoyed by fellow Spydernuts :)

IMHO the Native I & II ride better in pocket or in waistband due to their flatter profile. To me the Native III is better in hand and clipped in hip pockets. Also, to me for harder use the Native III seems to be more solid. And I think the Native I is a tad lighter. No need to worry about ANY of the Natives being flimsy, as they are all rock solid and can take almost any abuse that 99% of people can throw at it.

The Native II makes awesome gifts as the S/S platform just begs for laser engraving. I'll see if I can dig up an engraved pic.

The Deacon's personal Spyderco collecting website ( http://www.paulberetta.com ) is the best resource I know for anything to do with Natives...and other Spydies. And along with UK Ken they both ushered me toward my first love..... Natives :p

oh my god thats a gathering, my fav is the blue g10
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

datan, described the variations very well, I learned something with that too. Nice collection by the way.
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Wow Daniel! That's an impressive Native collection. Nice pics. :D
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil