Matriarch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Caly E

Post by Caly E »

ClockWork wrote:Were can you get one for $60?
In a dream. Was sayin you could get them EASILY a few years back.
shrpshn

Post by shrpshn »

Mike Sastre wrote:Matriarch is one of my favorite carry pieces.
Great SD folder; especially when teamed up with a Mike Sastre River City neck sheath. :D No plans to part with mine.
John
SharpShin' Blades
Affordable Knives & Air Guns
Ed Ricketts

late to the feast

Post by Ed Ricketts »

I think it's a late to the feast phenomena, Clockwork. I've had that problem numerous times, but a gray forum matriarch was one of my earlier spydercos. Pretty sweet! And add my voice to the chorus for a sprint run matriarch, maybe in the dark green frn.
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

Wouldn't it help that it's already been a forum knife?
So, it's already been done, maybe it could be done again? :)
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
ngohari

Post by ngohari »

I really hope Sal takes into consideration reproducing the Matriarch, even just for a short time... Maybe even incorporating a wave opening feature on it (or the Civilian?).
Ian UK

Post by Ian UK »

I just got this 2 days ago.. :)

:spyder: IAN UK Collector #116.
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Very very nice Ian. Where did they come from? Beautiful specimens. Thanks. :D
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Ian UK

Post by Ian UK »

The dreaded Fee-Bay. :(

What can you do?
:spyder: IAN UK Collector #116.
Slick

Post by Slick »

Piercieve wrote:*Cough* forum knife *Cough* :D

Beat me to it. I owe you a Coke. I have no idea as to costs to make a batch. My Civi is just to big to carry. It is also almost usless for hard work and I work hard.

I'd definately buy a smaller version of the same pattern.
Not really all that slick ;)
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Paul, Mike, for the history.

The Matriarch wasn't a very popular model. As I remember, we ended up closing out the last of them.

We've created and built quite a few models over the past 25 years. We always try to build them to the best of our ability in; design, quality and materials. We stop building them when the demand slows. We cannot keep all models in the line, we're too small for such a large inventory.

Many of our models seem to hold their value, or even appreciate as time goes on. I'm sure that's true of many knives from many companies that have stopped production.

While we rarely build models for collectors, we respect those that do collect our designs and try to avoid doing anything that will damage their investment in the pieces.

At this time, we have so many new models "in-the-works", that I would hesitate to add any more until some of our backlog in new models simmers.

We can discuss for the future, but I can make no promises at this time.

I do appreciate the interst.

sal
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

I'm not sure if it's okay to say this or not.... so mods, feel free to remove this post if it isn't.

That being said, there is a Spyderco Matriarch for sale in The Cove on The USN for $100. It's not mine, don't know anything about the guy selling it, but he has some pictures of it up and says it's mint.

Anyway, I already have one, but I just ran across it and thought I'd share the info.

:spyder:
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I wouldn't mind having a matriarch (the thin tip makes me a little nervous regarding durability but it looks less severe than the civvies) but not only (thank you Sal!) were sales not cutting it but if you read that earlier link about "deadliest design" and how cheap it used to be, if you put 2 and 2 together, you have a grim reminder of the fear people have of sharp items: in other words, the matriarch is like a Saturday Night Special in the eyes of some. Do I feel that way? of course not. I believe that the 2nd amendment should allow me to carry anything (though I keep it legal for good reason)-however, Sal and the folks at Spyderco are smart enough to need a good reason to redo a run-maybe if enough of us signed affadavits it could be done? No sarcasm here, I wouldn't mind signing my name to paperwork in Spyderco's hands to help this happen (or work with balis or autos).

My .02,
d-fens ;)
JD Spydo

My Matriarch is UNTOUCHABLE

Post by JD Spydo »

I would just love to see a sprint run of them. I cherish my VG-10 Matriarch so much that I deem it one of my "untouchable" Spyders. Which means it's not for sale or trade no matter what is offered>> unless of course someone would be willing to get completely ridiculous and offer me 2 or 3 grand for it.

I feel the same way about my FB-05 Temperance set and my Ayoob and about 3 others that I deem "untouchable".

I too would be extremely appreciative of a Sprint run of the Matriarch in a colored FRN handle ( probably purple for Agent Starling's sake :D ) along with a tool steel blade. I'm certain that at least 200 of them wouldn't last a week once the word got out. The same handle would be fine with me.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Baconman69

Post by Baconman69 »

ngohari wrote:I really hope Sal takes into consideration reproducing the Matriarch, even just for a short time... Maybe even incorporating a wave opening feature on it (or the Civilian?).
I would love to see a knife like this with the wave opening feature. It would get a permanent spot in my right front pocket :D
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

In the words of Jim Carey as Loyd in Dumb and Dumber " So you're telling me theres a chance"
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

I have a grey FRN model in my display, so I appreciate Sal's comments. One is enough for me and part of the joy of collecting is "hunting" for those old and discontinued models.
...oh you know why!
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

i got mine when i was like 17 or 18 and forgot about it and found it in its original package never used still RAZOR sharp. yes the tip worries me cuz one SD fight and the knife tip would be gone but still it is a great knife that holds up well in a dark room in a box airtight forgotten about for a decade. j/k it is only available online from collectors who want to resell it. i don't think it sold well in usa so i doubt sal will re release it considering we have the civi instead... but maybe
Attachments
spy 004.jpg
spy 004.jpg (103.8 KiB) Viewed 7531 times
MCM

Post by MCM »

A sprint run of 250 with all screw construction, bronze bushings and S90v would sell fast, and not bother the collectors... :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......