which do you prefer? caly3 or FFG g10 delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ousanas

which do you prefer? caly3 or FFG g10 delica?

Post by ousanas »

I just traded for a caly3 a couple weeks ago, and already I'm looking at new toys. I wouldn't mind trying the g10 delica, as I still like the feel of the delica in my hand (other than being a bit narrow). plus I'd love to get the FG g10.

so who has both, and which do you prefer more and why?
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Delica, for some reason i am not a fan of the caly3
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

I can't give a comparison, per se, as I don't have a G-10 Delica, but comparing the FRN Caly Jr to an FRN Delica, the Calypso handle is far superior (IMO) to the Delica.

It really boils down to whether or not you like small details, especially the finger choil and wire clip (both of which I prefer).

I wouldn't fault anyone for prefering the Delica, though...
ousanas

Post by ousanas »

Riot, I kind of agree with you right now, I like the caly3, but not the way I figured I would love it. Love the G10, do like the finger choil, but it's not quite the love at first feel I usually have with spydies.

as for the wire clip, it's ok, but I actually like the delica one a bit more. oh well, I'll give it a couple more weeks, then maybe see about trading someone for the g10 delica :) wish the budget allowed me to have both, but it doesn't :(
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

For me, the Caly3 just does not fit my hand right, the area that swells out for your ring finger just doesn't feel right. As I EDC a G-10 Endura, I'd have to vote Delica.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
ccpmedic

Post by ccpmedic »

I have the FG G10 Delica and I am very pleased. It is my EDC knife. I do not have a Caly to compare to though. If you like the FRN D3 you will like the G10 variant.
Roy
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Simple Man wrote:For me, the Caly3 just does not fit my hand right, the area that swells out for your ring finger just doesn't feel right. As I EDC a G-10 Endura, I'd have to vote Delica.

maybe an FRN caly3 would change my thoughts
lightwait

Post by lightwait »

I have both. By a small margin, I prefer the Delica. It just feels better in my hand, maybe because I have other Delicas. The hole feels better to me too, it is slightly larger and sits out a little further. It feels more comfortable to open.
The low riding clip is a nice idea on the Caly, but I prefer the Delica's clip. I don't carry it clipped. The only time I use the clip is if I am in the middle of a project that needs a lot of knife work, then I will clip to my pocket. In that case I prefer the Delica's clip because I can grab it easier without putting my greasy fingers into the pocket. I also can feel the Caly's wire clip move slightly against my palm when I use the knife. The Delica's clip is less noticeable in my hand. These are minor differences, neither knife is a bad choice. I had the Caly first and I loved it, but I couldn't hold back from getting the FG D4.
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

Well...
I know ya'll might disagree....

But; One is Beautiful. The other is Vomit colored.
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

FFG G10 Delica.

Reasons: Better clip, thinner blade. Better handle with no choil.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Caly3 by huge margin.
Better ergos, finger choil, low ridding wire clip, beautiful knife.
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

David Lowry wrote:FFG G10 Delica. ...thinner blade.
I'd forgotten about this difference. That is the only reason that I would consider getting the Delica. Well, that and I happen to like the vomit green... :p
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Well written bh49, I've nothing to add ... besides the impressive black G-10 :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Caly3 with vomit green,sorry Foilage green handle,if that one excisted?ps.love the FG!on any knifehandle.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Caly 3 for these reasons:

Finger Choil
More Comfortable
Wire Clip

I find the wire clip works well with my pockets. It's discrete, easy to clip/unclip, and looks nice. I've actually gotten a compliment on the clip alone!!

Of course, I'd own both if finances permitted :-)
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
ousanas

Post by ousanas »

yeah, I'd own both as well, but finances don't permit, I'm working on a Para for a trade cuz I want one of those to. wanted black blade pe, but not happening. Got a line on a SE blade that I think I'm gonna snatch up since I been wanting a nice se blade again :)

the fg g10 ffg delica willl have to wait/be a dream for a while :)
Henry1960

Post by Henry1960 »

bh49 wrote:Caly3 by huge margin.
DITO :cool:
Henry

My Wife Say`s I Buy One More Spydie She`s Going To Divorce Me....God I`m Going To Miss Her!!! :rolleyes:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Caly 3, it has a choil and, although CF is pretty far down on my list of handle materials, Spyderco's implementation of G-10 rates just ahead of used bubble gum. Yes, I know, it provides traction, but it looks like crap. Tractors may not have to look like Ferraris, but they don't have to look like they rolled out of State Factory Number 7 either. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

I love the Caly for all the reason previously mentioned.

But ... having handled (not owned) the Delica and Caly, I must say that the Delica felt better. In truth, the feel is very close, so if you tally the pros and cons, the choils have it … the Caly probably wins.

But, you really should add price into the decision making process and the Sage!! With those two factors (and if you like liner locks … I do) the Sage is tops.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
ozspyder

Caly 3

Post by ozspyder »

bh49 wrote:Caly3 by huge margin.
Peter1960 wrote:Well written bh49, I've nothing to add ... besides the impressive black G-10 :D
Spot on !

I love the Caly 3 by a fair margin due to it having the following features which I personally love:

1) Leaf shaped blade
2) Black G10 (well this is not such a big deal)
3) Wire clip ( love them as they snag less, feel less obtrusive)
4) Finger choil (I love choking up on the blade for detailed work)
5) Smooth action

Don't get me wrong the Delica is one of my most favourite knives and I collect and use them all the time. The Caly 3 is just more refined and a much nicer blade to work with than the D4. Even in FFG and G10 the Caly 3 wins. The D4 is much nicer and a better slicer in FFG, the other little things make a difference.

The only thing I'd request on a Caly 4 is possibly a low riding wire clip. Any other improvements would be a bonus as it is close to being a bloody perfect EDC knife (for me).
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *