H1 Dress Knife -- Crazy Idea?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clovisc

H1 Dress Knife -- Crazy Idea?

Post by clovisc »

okay -- i've had a peculiar dilemma for a little while...

i live in a part of alaska where rainfall is measured in feet, i go fishing for hours everyday, "field dress" fish with my folder, and expose whatever i'm carrying to saltwater frequently.

yet at the same time, i work in an office.

while there's a special charm to the utilitarian aesthetics of my salt folders, the stylings of other spydies are better suited to some of the places i find myself in. i frequently find myself tempted into carrying something more stylish in VG10 or S30V, only to find myself outdoors with it, faced with rain, and a saltwater cutting task... d'oh!!!!!

and it stinks to look at the upcoming kukri, barong, rock lobster... amazing-looking, hard-use knives... and to think: "well... that wouldn't exactly be ideal for my environment. might want to save my scratch for something i'll carry and use more often."

what i really wish i had was a "dress knife" in H1... something that could fit within the world of a business professional, as well as handle some marine cutting tasks.

i'm thinking... people within the nautical world make some good bread, love knives, and treasure and value good gear... sometimes they even want to look good. they might really go for a "nautical dress knife."

i recognize, though, that this idea might be a little too "specialized."

but who knows... would anyone else benefit from a dressier H1 knife?

a G10 H1 folder would also be pretty sweet. :D
KaliGman

H-1 Dress Knife

Post by KaliGman »

I like it. Navy blue and gold micarta handle, titanium bolsters, H-1 blade, and call it the Spyderco Yachtsman or Spyderco Regatta.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

KaliGman wrote:I like it. Navy blue and gold micarta handle, titanium bolsters, H-1 blade, and call it the Spyderco Yachtsman or Spyderco Regatta.
whoa -- that would indeed be nice!!!

seriously, though -- i've seen sooooo many sailors with spydercos... more spydie sightings here than anywhere else in the country!
KaliGman

H-1 Dress Knife

Post by KaliGman »

I see Spydercos in law enforcement--especially in my agency--a lot. As for the nautical dress knife, I think there might actually be a market for a super nice gents folder in that genre. Your post made me think of how many very serious boating types I have seen who sport their nautical Breitling, Rolex, or Omega watches. A nautical themed gents knife with all the trimmings from Spyderco would be a fraction of the cost of those watches. I think you brought up a very interesting idea.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: I love that idea :cool: My Idea would be(in a small, dress up Spyder)the same design as the AWESOME Poliwog :eek: I'm cool with g-10 handle slabs with H1, or Titanium liners :D Oh ****.....I'm up for whatever; It's Spyderco :)
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
markg

Post by markg »

I think you could even keep the cost down some by making a FRN handled Jess Horn Jr. In H-1... Still would work good, not be too expensive, but would have a bit more "class."
amen74

Post by amen74 »

An H1 dress knife would be great for many that don't want to worry about rust. Fisherman, Athletes, Hunters LEOS, Military, Businessman. Anyone who want a dressier knife available to use in all conditions without the worry. Sounds like a great idea to me. H1 should be taken into consideration in many Spyderco designs.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Guys, I think we are onto a golden nugget here! Spyder crew.............take this and run with it! I like this alot! :D
JBE

Post by JBE »

markg wrote:I think you could even keep the cost down some by making a FRN handled Jess Horn Jr. In H-1... Still would work good, not be too expensive, but would have a bit more "class."
+1...I like your idea... :cool:
Jason
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

markg wrote:I think you could even keep the cost down some by making a FRN handled Jess Horn Jr. In H-1... Still would work good, not be too expensive, but would have a bit more "class."
i agree that an H1 FRN jess horn would be classy, cost effective, and most awesome. it's a great knife design... one of my favorites... and heck... i'd be all over it!!!

although, it seems to me like a specially tailored sprint run would maybe be a temporary solution. a good solution, but... there might be a lot more potential in this area. spyderco could potentially step it up, and cash in even more.

kaligman's points about the dive / nautical watch market are pretty encouraging... :D
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

KaliGman wrote:I like it. Navy blue and gold micarta handle, titanium bolsters, H-1 blade, and call it the Spyderco Yachtsman or Spyderco Regatta.
Wasn't there already a design by Eric which was called the Yachtsman. So if it's on the back burner we might as well make it with H1 and give it a bit more pissaz :D

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

bladese97 wrote: :spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: I love that idea :cool: My Idea would be(in a small, dress up Spyder)the same design as the AWESOME Poliwog :eek: I'm cool with g-10 handle slabs with H1, or Titanium liners :D Oh ****.....I'm up for whatever; It's Spyderco :)
Poliwog Salt? Salt Frog?

Can they do the Ball Bearing lock in H1?

I dig my Poliwog, and recently really enjoy my new H1 Mariner Salt...could Spyderco do it? Would they want to?
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Navy blue FRN Jess Horn, beadblasted/polished titanium clip, H1 blade with a more subtle "H1" logo on it... I'd get one.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

SoCal Operator wrote:Navy blue FRN Jess Horn, beadblasted/polished titanium clip, H1 blade with a more subtle "H1" logo on it... I'd get one.
Ding Ding !!!
I hear some alarms bells calling out to me :D
I like it SoCal. I'll have 2 please, I can do without the H1 logo, H1 bladestamp is more than adequate.

I abuse my Salt I PE and carry it almost everywhere I go - office, garden, dinners etc. I know I can abuse it and it will come back ready for more. I can use it and not worry about cleaning it until later.

As for names.... Saltwater Croc if you want something from DownUnder :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

There's always the "STR option" if you're willing to pay the "myway" tax...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

H1 steel, ti liners, stablized birdseye maple scales.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tap

Post by tap »

clovisc wrote:
what i really wish i had was a "dress knife" in H1... something that could fit within the world of a business professional, as well as handle some marine cutting tasks.
I thought that was why we have the Salt 1 with Black FRN and PE. Are you asking for a CE? :)
Don't leave earth without some teeth. I carry a knife to open a can of worms.
markg

Post by markg »

SoCal Operator wrote:Navy blue FRN Jess Horn, beadblasted/polished titanium clip, H1 blade with a more subtle "H1" logo on it... I'd get one.
Oh... Now you are talking!!!
frogmorton11

FRN cost effective?

Post by frogmorton11 »

clovisc wrote:i agree that an H1 FRN jess horn would be classy, cost effective, and most awesome. :D
I think it's a popular misconception that FRN would be cost effective. To build the mold to make FRN is very expensive. Each FRN handle is very cheap, but you have to add to that the cost of the tooling. It only makes sense for high volume production, like the Endura or Delica. Then they can come out with other colors easily, by using the same tooling. For low voume, stainless or G-10 makes more sense.

Thanks
Jamie
Gollum

Post by Gollum »

Hmmm, I'm thinking a PE H1 Harpy!
Intentionally Left Blank
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

frogmorton11 wrote:I think it's a popular misconception that FRN would be cost effective. To build the mold to make FRN is very expensive. Each FRN handle is very cheap, but you have to add to that the cost of the tooling. It only makes sense for high volume production, like the Endura or Delica. Then they can come out with other colors easily, by using the same tooling. For low voume, stainless or G-10 makes more sense.

Thanks
Jamie
Jamie, I think perhaps that either markg meant the C38 FRN Jess Horn Lightweight, rather than the AG Russell exculsive Baby Jess Horn when he suggested an FRN Jess Horn Jr., and that's what clovisc was agreeing with. Since the mold for that already exists, there'd be no tooling costs involved. While FRN would not be my first, or even fifth, choice of handle material for a "dress knife", assuming it's the C38 being suggested, the idea is reasonable. On the other hand, an all H-1 version of the all stainless Baby Horn would be kind of "dressy". :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!