Could you survive with just a UKPK?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Could you survive with just a UKPK?

Post by GarageBoy »

I may probably say "screw it" sell off all my "gravity" Spydies and pick up a UKPK. Will I be "underknifed"? Not doing any outdoor chores, just rope, boxes and packaging.
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

Blasphemy. Why?
I mean, selling a collection to make some cash when it's tight is understandable. I'de at least keep 2 of my favorites. I think rope would be a ***** with a UKPK
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Could I survive with just a UKPK?
I think yes, but why? It would be sad life to survive. I want to live and enjoy my life, this is what Persians, Kopas, Caly3 and others for. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Sure you could do everything with it, but why restrict yourself?
The place where you live will not be any safer if you don't own a locking folder anymore, or do you stab others on a regular basis?

To **** with stupid knife-laws, I just bought me a nice automatic while I still can.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

Sure you could.

I once pulled a two week stint with only a DKPK and a Case Scout Jr. Slipjoint.

No one handed opening for two weeks...no locking blade for two weeks...everything was sub 3".

I did fine, travelled, fished, hiked...opened boxes, envelopes, cut open packages...

A UKPK will do everything a bigger/locking Spyder will do cutting wise.

But why limit yourself?
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
KaliGman

Works

Post by KaliGman »

If you are talking about twine and thin rope, then sure. You could survive just fine with the UKPN or a Case, Lone Wolf, etc. slipjoint.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Bolster

Before Your Time

Post by Bolster »

It's often said that people's sense of history starts with the year they're born and goes forward from there. I guess I am an old dude by today's standards, but while growing up, spent many hours in shops and out of doors, using nothing but slipjoint folders for tasks. Never really got interested in lockback knives until midlife.

Could I go back? Sure. Knives cut just fine without locks. I never, ever cut myself from a closing blade until I owned a linerlock, which failed.

I could probably live without a cell phone, too. Might in fact be happer if I did.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

bh49 wrote: I want to live and enjoy my life, this is what Persians, Kopas, Caly3 and others for. :)
There is something quite profound about that statement. :)
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

KaliGman wrote:If you are talking about twine and thin rope, then sure. You could survive just fine with the UKPN or a Case, Lone Wolf, etc. slipjoint.
Don't know about KaliGman, cutting performance is not in the lock but in the blade.
As long as you use the edge to do the cutting and not the spine, a lock is not important.
I do hate to go backwards because of the behavior of others though.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
KaliGman

Locks

Post by KaliGman »

Piet.S wrote:... cutting performance is not in the lock but in the blade.
You are quite correct. My problem in cutting thick rope with the UKPN would be that the short blade would require a sawing motion to cut through, and this can put "closing pressure" on the blade if you are not careful and end up torquing or twisting the blade. I would prefer a much larger bladed slipjoint for heavy/thick rope if I was using a slipjoint, or else be extra careful. I have cut myself with a slipjoint when it closed on me. I was a kid with a Boy Scout Knife and I was using the thing in woodcrafting. I was inattentive for a moment (i.e. I screwed up :D ) and got cut.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'll take a lock anyday, and will until I can't. It's much safer all around.

- best wishes, Jazz.
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

Not me, too small, no lock and no serration. Id need the 1/2 serrated military. Perfect all around S.E.R.E. knife. John.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Just start selling slow, see how you feel as you reduce your numbers...

I couldn't though. Glad that I don't have to.
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

With the correct information and training, you can survive with anything. But I would want something along the lines of a paramilitary and a few ladybugs. The para could be used to hunt with and is actually somewhat balanced for throwing. The ladybugs would be great as workers for chopping rope and creating timber in the bush. The whole point to a survival knife, is something non corrosive, that can handle the punishment of sharpening against a rock. To me a UKPK is just too small to fill that role.
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Of course you could "survive" with just a UKPK. I prefer a knife with a lock since I have a choice. For utility and heavy duty work a knife with a lock is much safer. With all the knives Spyderco offers, why limit yourself? Take a good look at all your Spydies before selling them off. You may just end up buying them a second time.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

rlw1979777 wrote:With the correct information and training, you can survive with anything. But I would want something along the lines of a paramilitary and a few ladybugs. The para could be used to hunt with and is actually somewhat balanced for throwing. The ladybugs would be great as workers for chopping rope and creating timber in the bush. The whole point to a survival knife, is something non corrosive, that can handle the punishment of sharpening against a rock. To me a UKPK is just too small to fill that role.
Throw a para? :eek: At an animal? :eek: You would hurl your only survival knife through the woods? You better keep two!
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

Or get really good at throwing it. I could go for a orange G10 Para. That would fix it, at least when you miss.
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

I see! Thats why they make the orange ones. ;)
Agent Starling

a few thoughts...

Post by Agent Starling »

Gboy...if I were you, I would do what feels right...collections ebb and flow over time...I've been through that with my music collection a gazillion times, if something no longer fits with my tastes, I sell/trade it and go w/something else...sometimes things get bought a second time, and that's OK too... :spyder:

Agent Starling :)
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

First, as it's been said many times, a survival knife is the knife you have on you when the situation arises... so, yes, you could survive with the UK Penknife.

Second, if your question is going back to that issue you had with law enforcement then how about leaving your locking :spyder: s at home where you can enjoy them and carry a UKPK inside your pocket (not clipped, but inside... seemed that was where the issue started) while away from home.

Third, if your question has something to do with something totally different, recommend you follow Agent Starling's advice.

If I'm going out into the general public where a knife might be looked at as an issue, I take my Delica 4s and leave the big blades at home. If I need a more discreet EDC, the Delica 4s stay home and the Caly3s are with me. If my Caly3s aren't PC enough, I'll leave them at home and pack my UKPK. And, if the UKPK's an issue, I'll just slip it into my pocket.