Spyderco Citadel Review and Pictures

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
markg

Spyderco Citadel Review and Pictures

Post by markg »

As fan of automatic knives, I was excited to see Spyderco enter the market. It is a big undertaking to step up to the plate, against some big names that have been established in the automatic knife market for some time. I knew Spyderco had to get it right the first time, and the Citadel does.

I made a post in the “restricted items” thread, asking Kristi if it was OK to post a review, and it as encourage, so here goes.

From an automatic standpoint, the Citadel is a pretty basic button fired auto. Which is not a bad thing at all. The blade is made of S30V and has a bit of an Endura 4 profile. It does have a smaller than normal Spyderhole, which is there for trademark proposes only (the knife is not double action, meaning you cannot open it the hole). The handle is aluminum, and the textured grip is similar to what you would find on the Benchmade 520/5000/155/140/3300, et al. However, the tops of the ridges are softer and still provide the same grip, but should be a bit less abrasive to pockets than the similar Benchmades. The clip is the standard black Spyderco clip. It is of good size and thickness for pocket carry, not being to thick or uncomfortable.

The button/safety layout is a bit similar to Gerber/Emerson Alliance, where they both are side mounted and next to each other. The button is oversized (which is nice) and has an average amount of travel to fire the knife. It can be a bit gritty at times, however that is normal for this type of knife, and should improve with wear. The safety is nicely made and is free of binding and moves positively. It is a nicely machined sliding button and is well done. Both button and safety sit in a recessed area in the handle. Of course, as is the case with all button locked autos... It is made for a right handed person...

As for the good part.... The firing action (hey the part we all love!) Speed is average, and “kick” is average to strong. It does have a unique “snap” at the end of the firing cycle. Some of my auto buddies feel the knife has more torque than average. Again, these things are all subjective. It does fire well, I would rate it average to above average in speed and kick.

The knife shaved hair out of the box (as you would expect) and the blade profile would well for utility or defense.

Overall, a wonderful start to the automatic line of knives for Spyderco, and should give the other guys a run for the money.
PSU

Post by PSU »

Excellent review! Thanks
People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Nice looking knife. Thanks for the pics and review of your new Citadel!

Jay
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i asked Kristi if any more knives were planned with the scales like the citadel's because i love them and they are super grippy but alas none are planned. Nice review.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

did you notice they have 2 different citadels now at knifecenter, one is shorter i think.

negative / opinionated comment from RIOT:

i guess you have to be a fan of automatics in order to completley enjoy the citadel, im a true fan of the locking folders with the hole that actually works or it can be flung out with inertia, thats what i think of when i hear or see spyderco :spyder: . im just not use to the citadel i guess, ill still buy another new version just because its cool but i perfer the good ole orginal spydercos !! :spyder:
Zozo*HC*

Great Review

Post by Zozo*HC* »

Thanks for sharing, i lvoved the pics, i feel sorry that these beauties are restricted almost everywhere :(
No sacrifice, No victory!
scout

Post by scout »

Great review! Is the blade grind higher than the Endura?
gac

Post by gac »

Real nice photos.
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Mark, very good review and excellent photos. Congrats to Spyderco for entering the auto market. The knife looks strong and sturdy.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

Good lord. I'm savin' up for one of these... Here in Alabama as long as it folds and fits in my pocket, I can carry. :) Sorry for all you others.
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Now, why can't a simple guy like me have the Honor of owning such Beauty :rolleyes: :) :D
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

I cant wait to get my Citadel. It is deffenately next on the list.

I had a bit of a slush fund saved up... but the I accidently spent it on a ATR... oops.

As soon as I get paid from job numero tres, I will have enough to get it Sweeeeet!!!!

Not to be feeding the trolls.... BUT:
How would you really compare it to say... a Benhmade Auto?? Cause I was also looking at maybe a Benchmade Spear point Auto-Strkyer. Which would you rather have? And yes... I know asking that on the Spyderco forums, I might get a few funny looks....

Thanks guys....

_CLOCK
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Well that is one thing, Benchmade does make some stylish autos. I personally like the Citadel, but I can't have auto's here either.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Awesome review as usual Mark. Love the pics. If I was an Auto-guy I would own one.

Thanks for letting us all know about it. Good stuff! :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
markg

Post by markg »

ClockWork wrote:I cant wait to get my Citadel. It is deffenately next on the list.

I had a bit of a slush fund saved up... but the I accidently spent it on a ATR... oops.

As soon as I get paid from job numero tres, I will have enough to get it Sweeeeet!!!!

Not to be feeding the trolls.... BUT:
How would you really compare it to say... a Benhmade Auto?? Cause I was also looking at maybe a Benchmade Spear point Auto-Strkyer. Which would you rather have? And yes... I know asking that on the Spyderco forums, I might get a few funny looks....

Thanks guys....

_CLOCK
Actually I don't see a problem, some of the most extensive and glowing reviews of this knife are actually on the Benchmade Forum on the company site.

Benchmade makes a good auto, and they have plenty of experience making one. It a strange sort of way, it feels a lot like a Benchmade auto, but has the unmistakable Spyderco feeling. I like how the blade spine rises to make a great thumb ramp.

It feels a lot like a Benchmade 5000, but slimmer and smoother (in a good way).

I like the controls on this better than most button locked Benchmades.

I have had (or currently have) 10 different Benchmade autos. I have an auto Stryker. The Stryker will will be thinner and not as long. The controls are better on the Spyderco, and the like the blade better. Both are top notch autos, I might give the nod to the Citadel. Mostly because it is a more modern design at this point.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

thanks for the great review and pix markg :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Thanks for the review, I own the Benchmade 5000, and appreciate the comparison to the Citadel, I'm a Dalton Auto man myself...but wouldn't mind owning an auto made by Spyderco, it sure has nice lines....Doc ;)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Elsilrac1

Post by Elsilrac1 »

Should a little blade play be expected?
markg

Post by markg »

Elsilrac1 wrote:Should a little blade play be expected?
I would not think so, I did not notice any on mine.