Has anyone thought of this before?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tomahawk23

Has anyone thought of this before?

Post by tomahawk23 »

A - Has anyone ever switched their RED FRN handles from their Trainer to their regular knife. It seems to me that that would look awesome on a serrated Endura. Or Maybe a mixed Handle... Red/White... Red/Black... Black/White... Red/Green.

B - Has anyone ever ground the trainer blade to a working edge? Rounded edge tip with Holes... I think it would be sweet!

With the Screw construction it shouldn't be any problem at all.

What do you guys think?

I would LOVE to see some pictures!
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

I actually thought of swapping the FRN handles, but I just can't justify to spend TWICE as much for a color change ;)

I don't think grinding for the edge is any good either. Few things come to mind right away. 1. lower grade steel 2. questionable heat treat, if at all 3. Significantly weaken blade structure is down right dangerous to use, and many things can caught in the big holes when you are doing and push cutting
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If you plan to keep the knives forever, reverse the handle swap before selling them, or destroy them when you tire of them, and you don't own any other trainers, or actually do any training, then fine business. Otherwise the terms "stupid idea", "accident waiting to happen" and "Darwin award candidate" spring to mind.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

Yes, there have been a few threads about this before. Most, if not all, have generated the same response that Paul gave this time... bad idea!

Trainers are red for a specific reason... to mark them as trainers. IIRC, that's pretty consistent throughout the industry, not just with Spyderco. As long as the knives will never leave your possession, no harm done. But it's a lot easier to say "I'll swap them back before I sell/trade/give away this knife" than it is to do it.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tomahawk,

All of our knives are "tuned" by expert knifemakers when asssembled. Unless you are an expert knifemaker, you will more than likely have an inferior assembly when you are finished taking the knife apart. It also voids any warrantees from Spyderco. Screw construction permits our repair dept to repair. Would you take apart a new car to "improve" it?

We see many so called "NIB" (New in box) knives that come in for problems. The seller lied. They are not NIB. They have been messed with. Then we have to charge the customer a fee for reassembly, which the customer hates, and we don't think much of it either.

My advice is enjoy your knife, as we make it.

sal
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

Can't sleep, Sal... or do you just start your day early? :D
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
markg

Post by markg »

Why grind the blade of a trainer? It cost more to begin with, then a live blade, and in most cases the steel is not the same as a live model. In many cases AUS-6 when the live blade is VG-10.

Also, the red=trainer thing is not something to mess with. That being said, there are some red live knives that have been made in the past, the Endura being one of them.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i asked once about grinding a trainer down, a temperance to be exact. one thing i found out is that the steel in the trainers arent heat treated so i doubt they would hold an edge well at all. I don't train with my knives, at least right now until my kids grow up and i can get some free time again, then i might try. I did swap mine, i later put them back the way they came. here is a thread on it...Sal spoke up about voiding the warranty so do this at your own risk. here is a pic of an E1 in red.

here is the thread with pics of me swapping the scales.
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... ight=bored
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Caly E

Post by Caly E »

a good bud of mine edc's an endura 4 trainer with a SE blade. He has had absolutely no problems, but he is an expert on such things. Id play it say and listen to Sal.
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: I too, feel it would be best to listen to Sal, and what others have said :) But, then again, I have taken apart a new ride to make it better :rolleyes: 2002 Nissan Xterra :D
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
tomahawk23

Post by tomahawk23 »

SAD, Sad, sad...
It seems to me that you guys are a bunch of Envelope-Slayers who do nothing but stay the coarse and never go off the BEATEN path. I understand that RED is for TRAINERS. I don't need to train with a knife, I have been USING them since I was a Child! I am not a COLLECTOR or a knife enthusiast who never uses my knifes and just buys them and sits them on the shelf and takes pictures of them in my spare time!
I USE them for cutting.... Among plenty of other things.
Seems to me that some of you guys might want to check your lips for BROWN!
Not you SAL... you work here, you are Supposed to say these things... But the most of you... try living a little.
SAD.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

tomahawk23 wrote:A - Has anyone ever switched their RED FRN handles from their Trainer to their regular knife. It seems to me that that would look awesome on a serrated Endura. Or Maybe a mixed Handle... Red/White... Red/Black... Black/White... Red/Green.

B - Has anyone ever ground the trainer blade to a working edge? Rounded edge tip with Holes... I think it would be sweet!

With the Screw construction it shouldn't be any problem at all.

What do you guys think?

I would LOVE to see some pictures!

i was thinking about the samething the other day and 100% agreed, i havent seen anyone do it though which makes me think it cant be done
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

tomahawk23 wrote:SAD, Sad, sad...
It seems to me that you guys are a bunch of Envelope-Slayers who do nothing but stay the coarse and never go off the BEATEN path. I understand that RED is for TRAINERS. I don't need to train with a knife, I have been USING them since I was a Child! I am not a COLLECTOR or a knife enthusiast who never uses my knifes and just buys them and sits them on the shelf and takes pictures of them in my spare time!
Not you SAL... you work here, you are Supposed to say these things... But the most of you... try living a little.
SAD.
do you think you are coming off a bit harsh? i use some of my :spyder: s hard and most stay on a shelf and yes i do take pictures of them. I guess i live a sad life huh? :rolleyes: Even if someone just wants to collect them who cares? Alot of people collect stuff...golf balls with the name of the course they played on, thimbles, spoons, shot glasses, commerative plates, vintage cars...if they have the money and arent hurting anybody who are you to call them SAD? A guy near my firehouse has a huge warehouse full of cars that would make Leno green with envy but as much as it kills me to see a Barracuda with a big ole Hemi under the hood just sitting there being polished over and over i still don't think the guy is SAD...i just wish he would adopt me. There are knife users, knife collectors and a combination of those two on here, try a little respect for all of them.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

sal wrote:Hi Tomahawk,

All of our knives are "tuned" by expert knifemakers when asssembled. Unless you are an expert knifemaker, you will more than likely have an inferior assembly when you are finished taking the knife apart. It also voids any warrantees from Spyderco. Screw construction permits our repair dept to repair. Would you take apart a new car to "improve" it?

We see many so called "NIB" (New in box) knives that come in for problems. The seller lied. They are not NIB. They have been messed with. Then we have to charge the customer a fee for reassembly, which the customer hates, and we don't think much of it either.

My advice is enjoy your knife, as we make it.

sal
Yes :D
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

As for the idea tomahawk, yes, I have thought of it many times, and I Think I actually seen a picture of a Red E4 with a live blade, but I don't remember where.

I do think it's a little bit silly to swap the handles around though, they are marked red for a reason. I think it would be similar to removing the orange on the muzzle of a toy gun, and painting that same safety orange on the end of a real rifle. Sure, you may know the difference, but some other people might not, and I for one would hate for that to be the reason why somebody hurt themselves or annother.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

tomahawk23 wrote:SAD, Sad, sad...
SAD.
First of all, I'm pretty sure everyone here has been using knives since their youth, but the trainers are for advanced teqniques and faster training, where the possibility of injury is much higher.

And by the way, I don't think people really act out like this on this forum... It's generally pretty friendly. Get in line
tomahawk23

Post by tomahawk23 »

Yes... I would definitely call someone who has a huge car collection, yet lets them sit in their garage so they can periodically rub them with a diaper... SAD. I believe it was FERRIS BUELLER Who said "Someone with their priorities so far out of whack doesn't deserve such a fine automobile!"
By the way... some companies DO use OTHER COLORS as their trainers. COLD STEEL uses black... Maybe because their customers are smart enough to tell the difference.
As far as respect goes... I have done nothing but give respect until some pencil-pushers decide they are going to say that I am eligible for a "Darwin Award"! Thats just plain rude. I'm sure that when that big shipment of Manila Envelopes comes in at the office mail room, you guy get to shine as HERO'S with your Fully Serrated Military that cost you a weeks pay.
I got on this site to become more involved with this company and get some insight as to the toughness and reliability of these blades... you guys jump all over me the second I think a little outside the cardboard box.
As far as the RED Handle thing goes... I don't see that it would be dangerous... unless you guys are the type of idiot that would pick up a Pistol and start playing with it WITHOUT Checking to see if loaded or not!

And if your telling me that only a Qualified Knife Expert is intelligent enough to use a SCREWDRIVER... then WHY is it that this company sells so many of these Parts kits?????????? I don't see anything on this website that says only a qualified expert should attempt to use a parts kit.
SHAZAM!
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

tomahawk23 wrote:And if your telling me that only a Qualified Knife Expert is intelligent enough to use a SCREWDRIVER... then WHY is it that this company sells so many of these Parts kits?????????? I don't see anything on this website that says only a qualified expert should attempt to use a parts kit.
SHAZAM!
If you are so convinced, then why did you even start the post? It isn't like you are talking about some random person that recommended against modifying a knife.

Post a picture of the knife switch, let us know how smooth your lock is... How perfectly aligned the blade is after the switch. I don't even get why you posted the question if you are this convinced that it is easy. Just because you got an answer you didn't like is no reason to be so hostile.

As for selling the parts, have you seen what STR does with knives? There are several people that modify knives. There's nothing wrong with doing it, just realize that the warranty is voided.

It's the same as buying a new car and then having a supercharger installed. The warranty is voided, and if it isn't done right -- the car is screwed up afterwards.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

PS - If you can't get the knife back together, remember that STR can help you.
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

This is a lenient community, so I suppose we're going to keep explaining this for a while. You asked a question, and we responded. The trainer knives are not intended to train someone for ordinary knife use, but to be used for practicing MBC drills and in other blade-based martial arts. I would also ask that you please watch your tone.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared