enough with the endura!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
diver15

enough with the endura!!!

Post by diver15 »

this has been buging me for a while, instead of making new or uniqu knives spyderco seems to be using the same model over and over again (like the endura) and just changing the handle material, this happens with alot of other models to, i dont want a blue endura to carry on mondays and thursdays and a white one to carry on tuesdays and wednesdays. i want somthing new and uniqu. if you have to you can go back into the archievs and bring out some of the extinct models but at least give us somthing besides the endura!
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'm pretty sure they continue producing and refining their mainstay knives like the Delica and Endura for a reason. People like them & continue to buy them. As long as they sell well it would be foolish to stop making them. It's like asking Honda to stop making Accords.

Spyderco produces new models every year while some are discontinued. I am quite happy with their selection, and they make more models than I can afford to buy. For a small company they do quite well IMO.

Wait till Tony sees this!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I guess I agree with your sentiments, but think of it this way, the endura and delica bring in the money to try the different models that might not fare so well economically.

The only thing I don't quite understand is the enthusiam some people have for the endura and delica, sure they are quality knives, but they are quite basic, and there is plenty of options in the lineup.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

sal and the gang continue to make new and unique knives all the time, if they dont design it in house they make collaborations with some great designers. the endura and delica are as much a signature of spyderco as the hole in the blade is. Just because you got into buying spydies late in the game for some of the old cool discontinued spydies doesnt mean that spyderco should discontinue their bread and butter models and reintroduce lets say a dodo so you can buy what one, maybe two of them? Think of it this way, if Chevy didnt sell a ton of cheap low end models do you think they would have the resources to make the corvette? channel some of your hate for the endura into searching for some old spydies that you will cherish that much more because of the hunt for them.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

diver15 wrote:this has been buging me for a while, instead of making new or uniqu knives spyderco seems to be using the same model over and over again (like the endura) and just changing the handle material, this happens with alot of other models to, i dont want a blue endura to carry on mondays and thursdays and a white one to carry on tuesdays and wednesdays. i want somthing new and uniqu. if you have to you can go back into the archievs and bring out some of the extinct models but at least give us somthing besides the endura!
If you can't find something new and unique in Spyderco's current lineup, you need to get your eyesight checked.
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

Look through every page in the current catalog, then add all the upcoming models from Mr. Blonde's Amsterdam 2008 report, then tell me that there are no new and unique models. :rolleyes:
Back from an extended hiatus.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Wow... "Enough with the Endura"... What's the phrase? Bread and Butter...

The Endura, Police, and Delica are the bread and butter knives of Spyderco. They aren't going any where. They will continue to improve / change, and I am glad.

Sure, new knives are great, but give credit to the models that make the money.
jeffbr

Post by jeffbr »

I'm a Delica lover, and hope they never stop making different runs. In fact, tomorrow I have a white and a pink one arriving on my doorstep. Those will go nicely with my D4 wave, D4 G10 FFG, D3s, D2, etc... Long live the Delica!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I think I can see where you are coming from. For me, it's tough being a huge fan of the Salsa (an unpopular knife which I get the feeling everyone seems to hate) when I come here to the forums and every other thread is about the Military. Oh well, everyone has their preference...

Jay
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Jay_Ev wrote:I think I can see where you are coming from. For me, it's tough being a huge fan of the Salsa (an unpopular knife which I get the feeling everyone seems to hate) when I come here to the forums and every other thread is about the Military. Oh well, everyone has their preference...

Jay
WoooHoo!

I love the salsa :D

I didn't think there were any others out there!
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
markg

Post by markg »

Let's see...

Emerson Knives brought out 3 new knives this year....

Benchmade will bring out about 5 new knives....

Spyderco...

Join the Collector's Club and find out how many new knives they will bring out this year!!!

Spyderco normally brings out more new products in a year than any other knife company. Then toss in the sprint run models like you are referring to...
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

Well some of like the Endura so much we own all the different generations of the knife and some of us think it's a pretty **** good knife and last I looked it's been in production since the early 1990's, sold a butt load and won a couple of awards. So someone is buying them besides me. If I were you I'd pick another knife from the Spyderco galaxy of stars and stop knocking the Endura which I think is very "unique" ;)

Cheers,
Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

Lots of cool spydies to pick from.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

diver15 wrote:this has been buging me for a while, instead of making new or uniqu knives spyderco seems to be using the same model over and over again (like the endura) and just changing the handle material, this happens with alot of other models to, i dont want a blue endura to carry on mondays and thursdays and a white one to carry on tuesdays and wednesdays. i want somthing new and uniqu. if you have to you can go back into the archievs and bring out some of the extinct models but at least give us somthing besides the endura!
im not a fan of the huge endura for carrying purposes but i like the knife, its like a delica on steriods.

there are so many spydercos to choice from though whats the problem here ?
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

jeffbr wrote:I'm a Delica lover, and hope they never stop making different runs. In fact, tomorrow I have a white and a pink one arriving on my doorstep. Those will go nicely with my D4 wave, D4 G10 FFG, D3s, D2, etc... Long live the Delica!
preach on!! thats the best one in my eyes for all purposes in everyday life for carrying
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

You might as well get mad at this forum then, because it's our fault that Spyderco keeps making sprint runs of the Delica and Endura. Last time I checked, no "new and unique" models were shelved because of a current model.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

diver15 wrote:.... i dont want a blue endura to carry on mondays and thursdays and a white one to carry on tuesdays and wednesdays. !
Actually, I really want an Orange one to carry on Mondays......seriously, I do! :D
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
anthonyc

Post by anthonyc »

orange g10, ffg, waved :D
foggy

Post by foggy »

cobrajoe wrote:WoooHoo!

I love the salsa :D

I didn't think there were any others out there!
Cool! A salsa was my first spyderco. :D
The sharper they are the less they hurt when you cut yourself. :spyder:
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

telemeister wrote:Actually, I really want an Orange one to carry on Mondays......seriously, I do! :D
Each to his own I suppose, I want an Orange one for camping on the weekends :D

Bruceter