Which knife makes the best Workhorse?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tomahawk23

Which knife makes the best Workhorse?

Post by tomahawk23 »

Hello everybody. I am new to this forum as well as being new to Spyderco knives in general. I have been a warehouse manager for over ten years and now I'm looking for another line of work while I work as a mechanic at a bowling ally.
I am always in need of a knife, and not just for cutting either... scraping, prying, you name it. Not to mention the variety of materials that I am required to cut, cardboard, wood, rope, wires, heavy plastic zip-ties...etc.
Anyway, I went through quite a few of the cheaper models of knives. I broke Gerbers in half. I dulled bucks beyond repair. I even bent a CRKT m16 at the tip cutting through cardboard.
All of this until I bought a Cold Steel XL Voyager... This thing cuts through schools! Its got the 5 inch clip point blade made from VG-1 Stainless. Its huge! Thats the problem. Its too big! Whenever I pull it out everyone backs up two feet... or comments on how I look like a murderer with it in my hand.
So... when my buddy, who is a Sheriffs Deputy (also an avid Cold Steel fan) bought a Police model Spyderco with the Stainless Steel handle, I was impressed. He let me hold it for a couple of days to see if I liked it and I was hooked.
Two days later I bought a Spyderco Atlantic Salt Plain Edge. I have always likes the way the spydies looked since I saw the one in Cliffhanger! I just couldn't resist the thought of a knife that would NEVER RUST and would become better with more use (plus, I love the way it looks like a straight razor).

So... My Question to you is which Spyderco makes the best workhorse?
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Well first, welcome aboard tomahawk. You are in for a ride. There are many Spydercos that fit different catagories. The police is definately a cutter an one of the alltime great spydies. It has been around for quite sometime. One thing also to consider is price.

You can start with the Delica/Endura SS if you truly like the feel of Steel. The Manix which is now discontinued. That is a stout folder. The Adventura is a big little knife with crazy cutting ability. The milli............you know what, like I said, enjoy the ride. Many on here have tried to lock down THE FOLDER and keep spending! ;)
FLYcrash

Post by FLYcrash »

Atlantic Salt? That's a good one; try it in serrated!!

Many will talk of the Manix, Chinook, etc. From what I've seen and heard, I'd agree, though I haven't tried them myself. Both are under 4 inches.

I'd say that a nice, stout fixed blade makes a great workhorse for such hard use. If you like clip point style blades, maybe the Street Beat is in order. I know I want one. Though maybe the Street Beat is too nice and expensive for such a beating.

No knife, however, will be entirely safe from prying and cutting wires...
tomahawk23

Post by tomahawk23 »

Thanks for your insight... There are just too many to chose from. I have had some combo edges in the past and I really like being able to dig into Zip-Ties with those serrated edges. What I want to know is what do you guys USE the most... What has gotten you out of the most Jams?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

tomahawk23 wrote:Thanks for your insight... There are just too many to chose from. I have had some combo edges in the past and I really like being able to dig into Zip-Ties with those serrated edges. What I want to know is what do you guys USE the most... What has gotten you out of the most Jams?
Tomahawk, welcome. You will find the forum enthusiastically answers polls, so you might narrow down your options and then submit a poll asking this same question...you will be guaranteed to get lots of input.

For me, the knife that has gotten me out of the most jams is the one I carry the most (no surprise) the Caly III. Carryability is very important to the overall equation, isn't it? The Delica and Endura may be even tougher with their saber grind, but I still wouldn't pry with them. The right tool for the job, you know?

One reason I can carry a smaller knife and be happy, is because I carry a separate pry/scrape tool. You really don't want to use a fine knife for prying or scraping; all those advantages you get from a hard steel that can hold an edge, also cause it to chip when pushed beyond its capabilities when prying. Consider getting an Atwood PryBaby or a CountryComm Micro Widgy and carry it with your knife. (Hopefully in the near future, Spyderco will be making their own pry tools.) Two tools are better than one, when they must do different jobs!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
jasonp

Post by jasonp »

I would choose any utility folder that are currently in production
e.g. para, millie, caly3, Native, UKPK, FGE4/FGE4(for being extremely solid and with FFG)
or any LBK
e.g. cricket, "S", etc.
tap

Post by tap »

If down sizing is part of the goal, then something around 3" would probably be a good place to start. D4 FRN with a few teeth. You are not off to a good start here because you have scared all of the CCers (Cardboard Cutters) with their FFG into hiding in the corners. :D
malice4you

Post by malice4you »

When I first read your topic's title, I thought Manix - big or little - either should do you well.

I read prying in there - and that you don't wanna do, even with a manix. I would suggest what I believe is called a prybaby - otehrs will correct me if I'm wrong - a small device you can attach to your keys and is designed to pry, so you don't ruin your knife tip.

The delica, endura, native, military, paramilitary, rescure series, and many others in the lineup are great knives and can handle almost whatever you'll throw at them.

You might also consider something like a SE Endura4, and a PE Dragonfly. The E4 will handle big cutting jobs, while the dfly will be better for finer jobs.

My EDC knives are a Manix, Rescue, and Tasman Salt.
Sporting 61 Spydercos in G-2, AUS-6, 8CR13MoV, ATS-55, H-1, VG-10, CPM-S30V, N690Co, ZDP-189/420J2, ZDP-189, AUS-10, and 52100.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Welcome tomahawk23.

I have a question for you. Do you ever miss having a belly and a sharp tip? I've always wondered that. I've never carried a sheepsfoot blade long enough to know.

As far as what is the best workhorse? I vote for these: Endura 4, Paramilitary, Delica.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
jmp

Post by jmp »

tap wrote:You are not off to a good start here because you have scared all of the CCers (Cardboard Cutters) with their FFG into hiding in the corners. :D
Yep, it needs guys like Tomahawk to balance all of us flat-grounders :) .

Seriously, consider a 2 tool approach: Spydie folder for cutting, and something like an Atwood or the fixed-blade Boker (cop tool?) from the recent thread for heavier abuse. Though the fixed Caspian Salts are nicer looking, higher usability (incl. gloves), less pure-pry-rescue-tool and better ergos to boot: finger hole, choil, h1.

Welcome,
Peter
awlriteeden

Post by awlriteeden »

The Pacific Salt. I have many other knives, but that's the one I use the most. Indestructible, rust proof, and a thick tough tip that won't snap easily.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i was thinking of a rescue jr.

good sturdy knife thats not too big
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Well, when it comes to scraping and prying, you might want a Captain. There's no tip you could break while prying (and the knife is a TANK, so a little prying wouldn't damage it), and the blade shape makes it easy to scrape off things. The hawkbill part of the blade will allow you to cut cardboard and rope just fine, the only downside is that you will probably miss a pointed tip from time to time.

It may be worth a look, though.

Dennis
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

IF you want to include prying in the job description I would recommend the Chinook III.
Even though it is full flat ground, the knife is still left fairly thick at the edge and tip, thicker than any other Spydie I have anyway.
It's also the beefiest knife currently in the Spyderco lineup, you might want to check it out.
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

I my pocket right now is a D'Allara. If you hurry you can snatch one before they are all gone. The construction appears to be bulletproof (steel liners, ball lock, stout tip) and the blabe is around 3.5 in. But, the best part of the knife is the feel (very grippy handle) and the action (very smooth, opens with a flick of the thumb).

Jim
Tank

Post by Tank »

Two tried and true work horses that are my goto knives for really tuff jobs are my Endura CE and ATR SE. But there are so many that are very capable for most jobs. Guess it depends on what the job is.
-John
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I think I would suggest either the Mini Manix or like Tank said, the serrated ATR. Both knives are equally capable, IMHO.

Jay
Jeff Tanner

Post by Jeff Tanner »

I tend to purchase knives primarily for my work (construction, welder/metal fabrication) and some fairly hard core recreational pursuits. I have been getting a whole lot of love from the D'Allara Drop Point.

But then, it seems I always say that every time this type of question comes up. :)

Great all around working knife...comfortable, smooooooth action, strong secure lock, tough easily maintained corrosion resistant steel with a lovely hollow grind blade geometry and a very acute cutting edge.

I don't like prying with any knife...the closest to that would be shucking shellfish, which the D'Allara does beautifully. Even makes a great companion to a fixed blade as a capable bush craft folder. And best of all...

...I have yet to break the tip off this knife. :eek:
catamount

Post by catamount »

I would agree with the others who recommend the D'Allara Drop Point. Here is a source I have dealt with, and can recommend, that has both the combo and plain edge in stock:

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?Pag ... rodID=6915

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?Pag ... rodID=6916

They are inexpensive enough that you could get 2, and have a backup.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
araneae

Post by araneae »

Welcome. A Rescue 79mm would make short work of the materials you mentioned. A Byrd Meadowlark rescue would be a bargain priced option. A Delica would be another good option. All 3 of these are on the smaller side & shouldn't scare too many folks. As others mentioned I would avoid prying with your Spydie.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal