Steel Questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pedro navaja

Steel Questions

Post by pedro navaja »

Hi
I have two Enduras one in ZDP steel & the other in VG-10 both PE. I'm thinking of getting a new one with spydersdge (Can't make my mind on which I prefer PE or S) Should I get it with the ZDP steel or VG-10? I also own a sharpmaker and plan to use the Endura not keep it in the box.
Any advantages of one over the other besides price :confused:

Pedro

The world is full of apathy, but I don't care

Arriel
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

VG-10 costs less and is easier to sharpen. ZDP-189 holds a edge longer, but is more difficult to sharpen. ZDP-189 also tends to be less stain and rust resistant, but more scratch resistant, that VG-10.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JBE

Post by JBE »

I think you would be much happier with VG10, especially using the standard Sharpmaker setup. The difficulty of putting an edge on ZDP189 is a turn off to many ELU's.
Jason
pedro navaja

Post by pedro navaja »

Gracias! I don't have to be Einstein to agree with your suggestions. VG-10 is the practical choice
:)

Pedro

Arriel
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Welcome, to Sal's living room, Pedro!

ZDP definitely requires diamonds for sharpening. In Spyderedge, I would also vote for VG-10 over ZDP.

In stock Endura and Delica form, ZDP is way too hard to sharpen; the edge is way too thick, which means taking off a lot of steel. :) If it's re-ground to a thinner edge, it's not too hard using diamonds. I've been there and done all that. :)
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
jugg2

Post by jugg2 »

IIRC there have also been a few cases of a SE in ZDP chipping, where VG-10 would just dull or deform.
pedro navaja

Post by pedro navaja »

Steven,
Do you mean diamond rods as for sharpmaker or diamond stones? I'm pretty sure i'll be getting a serrated in VG-10.
Thanks all for the useful information, it is always hard to choose among Spyder options.

Pedro

Arriel
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

pedro navaja wrote:Steven,
Do you mean diamond rods as for sharpmaker or diamond stones? I'm pretty sure i'll be getting a serrated in VG-10.
Thanks all for the useful information, it is always hard to choose among Spyder options.
Since (if I'm not mistaken) the SharpMaker diamond rods only come in one grit, I suggest DMT diamond stones either in lieu of or as a supplement to the SharpMaker diamond rods.

The double-sided Diafolds work very well for me. I recommend getting one X-Coarse/Coarse and one Fine/Extra Fine. They also make rattail diamond sharpeners for SE. That should pretty much cover you.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
Native Justice

Post by Native Justice »

Contrary to what you've already heard, the ZDP SE Endura is a terrific choice. It's a hand held chain saw for a cutter! Holds an edge like there's no tomorrow and is very easy to maintain an edge on either the Sharpmaker or the 701 profile stones (I have both but my choice is the profiles for ease and speed of use). If you've had difficulty with maintaining an edge with your ZDP PE Endura then maybe the best choice is the VG10 for you. If not, I'd venture a guess that you won't have much difficulty with the SE either. I have them both and really like them. The ZDP SE really shines at breaking down boxes ... lots of them, before even needing to be stropped. I've also done a lot of branch pruning with the SE and have had no problem with chipping or damage to the individual teeth. Needless to say it's a real worker. I like the ZDP steel quite a bit and don't find it any more difficult to work with or sharpen than any other, perhaps even easier, because it doesn't require much maintenance like many of the others do and this is where the price differential really becomes more apparent. This is the steel and model in the SE that really showed me how a really good SE should perform. Like I said earlier, if you like your PE in ZDP, you'll love the SE just as much if not more. Give it a look!

NJ
Be safe.

NJ

“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: I would sugjest a Spyderedged VG-10; It's cheaper, and very effective, and corrosion, and wear resistance is admorabley awesome :D
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!