Newbie from the UK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chivers

Newbie from the UK

Post by Chivers »

It’s a pleasure and a privilege to join the Spyderco forums. When I was a kid (far too long ago for comfort) it wasn’t seen as unusual to carry a sheath knife, especially if you were a scout, but now I find myself living in a country which has the daftest and most oppressive knife laws in the world. So...my first Spyderco buy was a UK Pen Knife via ebay (knife shops here are almost as rare as hen’s teeth). I used to like knives with natural handle materials, but that first Spydie changed my mind about what a knife could be. Form and function combined in a beautiful EDC: I now have one to use and one to pass on to my grandchildren, if my daughters ever produce any, and I am fighting hard to resist buying the latest orange-handled model.
My other Spydies are a Native (CPMS30V, natch...what a bargain), a plain blade Cricket (wicked) and a combi-bladed Tenacious. I don’t have any problem with it being made in China, Sal’s team obviously keep quality control to the fore, and it’s one mean blade: the liner lock just makes me more careful how I close it...owwwww!
To go back to my gripe about oppressive UK knife laws, it’s one more example of a nanny state clamping down on our freedoms because a minority of morons see fit to go around stabbing one another, usually in gang disputes. A knife, to me, is a tool, and you don’t see Spydies being used in robberies and muggings – just junk knives. I’ve got too much respect for my blades from Golden, Seki City and now China to imagine anyone would use them for anything other than peaceful purposes – or self-defence if it came down to a him or me situation.
Anyway, sorry for rambling on (it’s my age...) but I have the utmost respect for Sal’s team and their products, and find this website entertaining and informative. Like Spydies, it’s simple, classy and to the point!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hi Chivers,

Let me be the first to welcome you here. There are many highly esteemed UK members here who will no doubt be posting soon to introduce themselves ad set you on the path of collecting evil Spyderco blades (more of them I mean :p ) !

Don't mention to me about draconian knife laws. Just look at Australia... what a joke. Not even allowed to carry SAK's, let alone a slipjoint Spydie. Silly politics and kneejerk moronic legislation to help them stay in thir jobs for another year and what for. Decent folk don't carry anything whilst the evildoers do whatever they please... oh well.....

I still collect/ hoard, use and carry my Spydies. Natives are one of my favourites and represent excellent value, Tenacious looks like it'll be an absolute ripper for Spyderco this year and beyond, UKPK another great knife (go get the FG and Orange G10 ones.... you know you want to!). Also I would recommend you invest in a Delica.

Cheers
Dan
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Chivers,
Welcome to the Forum, enjoy your stay.
You made nice choices. UKPK and Native are fine tools, and I am not sure for how long you will be able to resist orange UKPK, it is the beauty.

P.S. Dan, you beat me by one minute. It is good to be young and fast.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

Welcome eh and I encourage you to join britishblades because a lot of the UK members buy/sell/trade spydies on there and they are a good bunch of guys eh.

take care and welcome to the addiction

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Welcome Chivers!
That's a shame about the terrible knife laws in so many places. It seems knives have become the new gun, to be demonized and outlawed for the law abiding citizens, while criminals still carry and misuse them. It's a shame. Well, at least you found a great place for information and commiseration. :)
It's good to have you here, and enjoy the forum.
P.S. if you are trying to resist a certain :spyder: it means the :spyder: has already won, and eventually you'll find one in the mailbox. Like Dan said, try a Delica when you get a chance.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
UK KEN

OOoops

Post by UK KEN »

"I’ve got too much respect for my blades from Golden, Seki City and now China to imagine anyone would use them for anything other than peaceful purposes – or self-defence if it came down to a him or me situation."

Chivers

Welcome to the forum.

You are well aware of our UK laws, good or bad they are what we have to live by. You are doing yourself no favours by stating on open forum that you would use a knife for self-defence. Like it or not any knife carried for that reason in the UK is illegal no matter what the situation.

Regards, Ken
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Welcome, Chivers! From the sound of it, you would make a fine transplanted Texan! ;) :cool:

Which of your Spydies is your favorite? I know that's probably difficult to answer, but I'm asking anyway. :D
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Cheers, mate! :) :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
sal

Post by sal »

O'my gosh, another Brit ;)

Welcome to the Spyderco forum, Chivers.

On the age thing? You're just chronologically gifted. There's a few of us like that here.

sal
Raqudu

Post by Raqudu »

Welcome to the forum, Chivers, from another "chronologically gifted" silverback. Enjoy your stay.
Raqudu :D

Freedom is never a gift. It is the "pearl of great price" in anguish won.
[RIGHT]- The Theological Concept of Freedom[/RIGHT]

"Well, it's a nice soft night so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason."
[RIGHT]- Michaleen Flynn (Barry Fitzgerald) in "The Quiet Man"[/RIGHT]
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Welcome Chivers, hope you will enjoy this excelent forum.
bladese97

Welcome

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Hey Chivers; Welcome to forums :cool: You will love it here, and learn so much from all here as well. I totally agree with you, and all on the knife laws this world is enforcing :eek: To me, it makes no sence...I mean, this isn't drugs, explosives, or secret weapons from area51, this is our oldest(and my favorite)tool in the world. In my opinion, it is the people who control these devices, impliments, and various tools, so it is these people who cause hurt, or distruction. The tool does what the human tells it to do. How many other things in this world are able to cause harm in the wrong hands? :rolleyes: Any way, great choices on the Spyders you've aquired, and like most have said, you will want, and get more :D
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Welcome. Nice to have another member. Spydies are the best thing since sliced bread.

Enjoy it around here. Nice folks.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

howdy chivers, welcome to the :spyder: -forums, better hide your wallet :eek: :rolleyes: ;)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

Oy, Mate! Welcome to the forums, Chivers. I was in the UK back in 1976-1978.
Even back then, they had laws on guns and knives that I (from the US) couldn't understand.
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Chivers

Post by Chivers »

Mornin’ all
Wow, what a welcome! Thanks guys for all your encouraging words and sage advice, especially UK Ken :-)
My favourite knife isn’t even a Spydie but a puukko given to me when I went grayling fishing in Swedish Lappland back in 1990 because I was the only one in the party daft enough to take a sauna and then jump in the lake. (People like you are very brave or very dead, said our host, to which I could have added ‘or very gullible&#8217 ;) . I once left it on the bank in error and made a 100-mile detour to recover it (it was still there). But that’s sentiment. My current top Spydie has got to be the Native. Until I get the orange handled UKPK, that is...
Ian UK

Post by Ian UK »

Chivers

Hi mate, I too am relatively new from the UK and can say from my experience you will be made most welcome here. :)

Its good to see there are a few more Brit's enjoying the pleasures of collecting Spyderco's. ;)

Happy posting!
:spyder: IAN UK Collector #116.
stonefrog

Welcome

Post by stonefrog »

Hi Welcome from another UK resident.

I agree with your statement regarding the harsh knife laws here. They're pretty hard to get use too. I'm from NZ and find myself having to turn back home, half way to the Tube, much to offen to drop my knifes off after forgetting I can't have them on me. Cant wait till I find a reasonable priced orange UKPK.

ALso Townliar, thanks for the pink spydie its sweet as.

James
dialex

Post by dialex »

Welcome to the Spyderco Forums and enjoy your stay here. Indeed, this world has taken on a wrong way (and I'm quite afraid a dead end as well).
People who are supposed to take care of their citizens stay in their ivory towers and imagine that there is enough to give a law and solve things out.
It is in our power and our duty to educate the others and teach them that a knife is not only a tool, but a priceless companion in certain situations.
Indeed, there are crimes comitted with knives. I dare to say most of those crimes would have been commited even if there wasn't a knife there. A broken glass bottle, a metal pipe, a stick or a stone (and countless other things) can do the trick equally well.
But there are also people who lost their lives because a knife wasn't there. Innocent people who deserved to live, but to whom the lack of education and the over cautious politicians denied them the right to live :mad:
People are using knives every day. We are not afraid of pens or telephones. Why should we be afraid of knives? Helas, people tend to be more frightened by a knife than by a gun...
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Very welcome to the forums Chivers and enjoy your stay :cool:

And if it's of any conselation, as of March this year the first restrictions will be in force in the good ol' Netherlands( :rolleyes: ) as well.

From then on we are no longer allowed to carry switch blades, balisongs or gravity knives and I'm afraid it won't end with that. Just because some stupid school kids use knives instead of just their fists.

Oh well, I guess we just have to live with it :mad: :mad:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p