What are your Mule Team plans?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bruceter

What are your Mule Team plans?

Post by Bruceter »

I was sitting around tonight looking at my Mule Team Knife and got to wondering??

What are you planning to do to/with your MTK?
Are you going to put it in your collection?
Test it as objectively as you can/want to and wait for more MTK's to run the same tests on?
Or, are you going to just "use it" and make subjective/seat of the pants observations? (Maybe as it was the only one of these that you might buy)

I am leaning towards the last option myself. I put a quick para-cord wrap on mine and put it in my camping gear. I am going to use it as my general purpose knife this summer and see how it works out.

I am interested in hearing what your plans are.

Curiously yours,

Bruceter
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

i'm getting some lignum v. handles for mine then I might give it an apple/mango chutney patina :rolleyes: then i'm gonna cut stuff with it :D
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
carrot

Post by carrot »

Once my Mule is scaled with Micarta I'll be EDCing it and using it as hard as I can. Hopefully there will be good amounts of time between each Mule or else I'll have to have a dozen of them strapped to my belt.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Mine is only getting a para cord wrap. I plan on using it normally and sharpening it down and checking out edge stability at different angles, while comparing it to 12C27 in particular. This will take a few years the way I work probably. There's been a lot of talk about how good some of the stainless steels are. One guy boasts that it is as good as carbon steels in this respect. I have a few knives that are in 12C27 such as EKA, and am thinking about one of the small bark rivers as their quality is well known.

I don't think the Stainless will get close but I'm going to find out. It won't be scientific but a fun project. I'd also like to compare this to the older Marble 52100 knife I have still NIB. I'd bet money that Sal has a better heat treat on the mule, but we'll see.

I do like carbon steels BTW. 52100 was an excellent choice for this mule. Sal is an amazing guy. I wish there were more like him! Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Manix Guy 2

Hunting

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Plan to take mine to Janesville to talk to someone about putting on some scales and possible lefty sheath . I want to use this knife for this years Deer season so I have some time . Mastiff , do check out the Barkies , I love mine , also check out their A1 steel models . MG2
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Thanks Manixguy. I already have a highlander in A2 and really like it. I do like the steel, and quality and workmanship is first rate. That's what has given me the idea to use one of their their 12C27 models as a comparison. The Eka knife seems pretty competant also, though of a lower F&F. I've read they run their 12C27 at around RC 58 , I'm not sure about Barkies just now. I want to keep it apples to apples as much as possible though there will always be enough variances to make this nothing more than a fun project for my spare time.

52100 is a good steel to work with in projects like this. I'm still amazed at the quality Sal put out at this price point. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Manix Guy 2

Agree

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

I could not agree more about the Mule in 52100 , worth anyones time to create their own version . Planto buy every new version , great concept . MG2
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

It's cool to see that most people are planning on using them.
I might try and cold-blue mine for some "instant patina"

Bruceter