Al Mar Hawkbill

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Agent Starling

Al Mar Hawkbill

Post by Agent Starling »

Take a look at this cool knife I found today...

http://www.knivesplus.com/almarknifeal-bu22sn.html

Does anyone have any Al Mar knives? Do you recommend them? I'd really like to have this be my next hawk... :)

Agent Starling :cool:
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Shike

Post by Shike »

Just a gent's type folder (Hawk I believe). Great quality, I have had it for close to 20 years.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Shike wrote:Just a gent's type folder (Hawk I believe). Great quality, I have had it for close to 20 years.
glad to hear yours held up, that's definitely a good sign!
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: That's not a fixed blade? :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Looks like a fixed blade to me.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
igrowbamboo

Post by igrowbamboo »

It's fixed, They want $200 at my local knife store.
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

I've been looking at that knife for a little while. I think that it looks really cool, and I absolutely love the idea of a fixed hawkbill, especially around that length. I just haven't been able to bring myself to dish out the money for it; there are too many Spyders that I want! :o
Back from an extended hiatus.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Blackhair wrote:I've been looking at that knife for a little while. I think that it looks really cool, and I absolutely love the idea of a fixed hawkbill, especially around that length. I just haven't been able to bring myself to dish out the money for it; there are too many Spyders that I want! :o
Yep, that's always the problem...really cool knife...really steep price...and as if that's not enuf to create hawkbill longing, there's also the Microtech Kestrel Hawkbill... :D

BTW, don't know if you were aware, but the FB hawkbill also comes in a 4" version... :cool:

Agent Starling
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have several Al Mar knives, and they are all good quality pieces. I'm still pissed that my cocobolo Falcon got stolen about eight years ago. The only one like it that I have seen since went for well over two hundred bucks on eBay.

One word of warning, though. The newest of my Al Mars was made before Al passed away. I have heard that the company is no longer using the same maker in Seki that they used to, so my experience may not carry through to new production.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

I only have an early Al Mar , name of folder escapes me around Delica size , vented Almite handle , SE AUS8A spearpoint , lockback , righty only clip and thumb .Nicely built converted it to a dual thumb stud years ago with alittle work . I have handled the US made FB SERE and the Mini folder , both quality impressive . Regards MG2
Billy

Post by Billy »

Very cool knife that I have been eyeing for some time too, even though I'm not really a FB type of guy. :) Very affordable if you get it here - http://savsonswordsandknives.com/almarba2ha.html

Also, someone posted some really beautiful pics of it on BF in this thread about the Superhawk - http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=528700.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

The "pharmacie" also has a reasonable price for these.
I been eyeballin this one too :D
I also like these eagles talon blade with cocobolo scales.
Maarten
member of FFG Club
JPatrick

Post by JPatrick »

yablanowitz wrote: One word of warning, though. The newest of my Al Mars was made before Al passed away. I have heard that the company is no longer using the same maker in Seki that they used to, so my experience may not carry through to new production.
I have Al Mars both old and new. The company may be using another maker, but the fit and finish are very comparable. I own an Eagle and a Falcon from the early 80s, a new Hawk, plus I've closely examined the new Eagles just released. I only see some minor cosmetic changes, primarily in the logo on the blade.
Jeff Tanner

Post by Jeff Tanner »

Agent Starling wrote:Take a look at this cool knife I found today...

http://www.knivesplus.com/almarknifeal-bu22sn.html

Does anyone have any Al Mar knives? Do you recommend them? I'd really like to have this be my next hawk... :)

Agent Starling :cool:
If you like hawkbill knives chances are good you will like this one. The blade curvature is more moderate than many hawkbill blades, much more so than the Spyderco models, for example. This gives it a significantly more stabby appearance. The blade is ground from .16" Aus8 stainless, and tapers to a needle like point...extremely sharp. The handling characteristics are very good...comfortable, nice ergos, good retention. All in all, an impressive fixed blade hawkbill.

The stock leather sheath is quite serviceable, but I would advise getting a fitted kydex sheath done up for it from On Scene Tactical.

You can find this Al Mar Backup 2 for less than $120 if you shop around...still not cheap perhaps, but then, what else is out there in a compact, fixed blade hawkbill.

Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Jeff Tanner wrote:If you like hawkbill knives chances are good you will like this one. The blade curvature is more moderate than many hawkbill blades, much more so than the Spyderco models, for example. This gives it a significantly more stabby appearance. The blade is ground from .16" Aus8 stainless, and tapers to a needle like point...extremely sharp. The handling characteristics are very good...comfortable, nice ergos, good retention. All in all, an impressive fixed blade hawkbill.

The stock leather sheath is quite serviceable, but I would advise getting a fitted kydex sheath done up for it from On Scene Tactical.

You can find this Al Mar Backup 2 for less than $120 if you shop around...still not cheap perhaps, but then, what else is out there in a compact, fixed blade hawkbill.

OK, I'm sold! Lovely pics BTW...which Glock is that? :D

Agent Starling
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

Agent Starling wrote:OK, I'm sold! Lovely pics BTW...which Glock is that? :D

Agent Starling
:spyder: Looks like a first gen g22 :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Jeff Tanner

Post by Jeff Tanner »

Agent Starling wrote:...which Glock is that? :D

Agent Starling
G22 .40 Smith & Wesson...comes with the knife. :eek:

:D
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

All this talk has swung me. I now feel the need for this knife; high price point or no.

Now I have another thing to put on my wishlist... thanks a lot, Starling! :mad:

:p
Back from an extended hiatus.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Blackhair wrote:All this talk has swung me. I now feel the need for this knife; high price point or no.

Now I have another thing to put on my wishlist... thanks a lot, Starling! :mad:

:p
don't forget the Glock! ;) :p

Agent Starling
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

yes, i'll admit that i've been tempted to pull the trigger on this Al Mar Hawkbill Backup..... ;) looks very ergonomic :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."