who got their mule(s) today?? +review

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
clovisc

who got their mule(s) today?? +review

Post by clovisc »

i know jaislandboy and i got ours today... mine finally showed up after what seemed a long, long wait... :D

thus far, i'm extremely impressed with the design... very much like a "lil' temp plus ultra"... can't wait to get some kinda scales on this baby. this is absolutely the sharpest spydie i've ever handled or owned... seriously -- sharpness out of the box is absolutely ridiculous!!! it cut the thinnest pieces of paper (receipts, newsprint, phone book paper) like they were air... couldn't quite cleanly slice a paper towel, though... but looks like it takes an absolutely insane edge!

i'll be doing quite a bit of cutting today, as i'm eager to see how easily the steel resharpens on the sharpmaker.

it's quite pleasantly thin, and as someone else has remarked, very "alive" in the hand. it balances out right after the swell in the handle, and the slightly back-heavy weight is such that the tip naturally rises up a bit as you hold the blade -- which i like, and could see being an advantage in certain martial arts / MBC contexts. with the right scales, this might make for an excellent MBC knife. i dig the little spydie hole in the blade... gives it more character... :D

kydex and turquoise paracord are going to meet me in alaska in a couple days... i'll be glad to have a little project to work on. one of the added bonuses of the mule team knives is that it encourages people to learn how to make their own scales and sheaths. didn't have the nerve to start playing with kydex until now... :D it's great to have a spydie knife that's also a "project knife."

in many ways, this knife (were it a folder) is what i wish the manix was more like... the thinness of the blade makes it a far better slicer than the manix, yet it still seems extremely hardy, and suited to serious cutting tasks.

this might be an excellent "non-knife-person-friendly" fixed blade... just the knife to take on a hike with people you might not know too well. size appears relatively small, but its still large enough to be useful for more ambitious tasks. wondering who's going to have the nerve to try batoning and doing light chopping with this baby? (eastr?)

i realize i've gone into lots of detail about the design (which i REALLY like), when the real talking point of this knife is intended to be the steel. i'll have more to say about that after putting this lil' mule through the paces of everyday carry (and testing fun...).

will i be getting more mules as they come out? the answer, OH HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!

i kinda regret not buying two... but with the knives sold out, i hope that by only getting one, someone else got a chance at a mule.

thanks again to sal and kristi, and everyone at spyderco with the vision and genorosity to make this project possible!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

clovisc wrote:...wondering who's going to have the nerve to try batoning and doing light chopping with this baby?...
That was the plan for me. I was going to abuse the crap out of it and take pictures etc. I just didn't have the cash in time to grab one. I'll have to wait for the next run and see what other steel I can test. ;)

Great review by the way. I would love to try one out (and use it hard).
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

They are still available eh guys.

I just ordered two and they are on their way to Canada USPS if i may add. :D

Lynette is such a pleasure to talk to as well and both kristi and lynette are a huge asset to Spyderco.

take care

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Manix Guy 2

Just Got Mine !

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Wife left mine on the counter with the you got another knife look ? 1st impression is pretty sweet , did some styrofoam cutting . This blade is going to Janesville to meet up with somebody for Micarta scales , then off to have a custom leather sheath made with a fire starter set on the sheath . Taking it to work tomorrow to show off to Spyder buddies . Thinking each generatio will have a different makers scales to give this FB alittle flavor . PS Thanks for sending me a 2008 Cataolog ! Regards MG2
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Received mine today, have yet to take it out of the box.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Slick

Post by Slick »

Mine is delayed by our weather. Fair enough for this area. Maybe tomarrow.
Not really all that slick ;)
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

I got mine I can't wait to start working on it Friday.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
JacksonKnives

holy mule team, Batman!

Post by JacksonKnives »

Has anyone measured/fitted the holes in the tang for pins or other fasteners? Epoxy on its own will probably be just fine for a beater-blade, but I usually add pins anyway.
clovisc

!!!mule Frenzy!!!

Post by clovisc »

just had to add... i've been so impressed by the mule during the short amount of time i've had and played with it, that i've put in an order for a second. :D figure, i just gotta get another while i can!!! the quality for cost is simply incredible... no qualms whatsoever paying an extra $15 shipping to send a second one to AK. i don't think i've ever before bought a spydie and then bought ANOTHER on the very same day i received it!!!
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

I couldn't believe how sharp it came. I am really looking forward to making it a pair of scales and pants.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Got mine today. Good timing as today is my youngest son's birthday. The Mule saw some work cutting tape, cardboard, and twist ties. I really like the handle dimensions and think it will feel really great when I get some handle scales put on it.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
catamount

Post by catamount »

Freakin' UPS delivered mine earlier this evening; a day early!

It's very nice. It did a great job cutting up some steak, and got an interesting blue patina in the process.

I've got some orange G-10 scales on the way from Tricod. Can't wait to get them.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

Caspian Salt and Mule arrived this morning! Now to figure out what hardwood to use? Cherry, Curly Maple or Zebra Wood?
kniferights.org - Charter Member #331
jeffbr

Post by jeffbr »

Got my mule today and opened it about 10 minutes ago. Nice and sharp out of the box. Now I have two tasks - start cutting, and figure out what to do with the handle (cord wrap or scales - never done anything with scales).
araneae

Post by araneae »

I got mine! It's been cord wrapped as a temporary solution only. I'll have some handle supplies on the way after next payday. I can't wait to tinker!

Any one else notice that the Mule looks like a fixed blade Tenacious? Same overall size, similar blade shape, classic Spyderco design. Can't wait to use it.

So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
carrot

Post by carrot »

I'm thinking the Mule might be the "fixed-blade Manix" I've been looking for. I'm excited to receive mine soon... I would have ordered a second one but I figured that money was better spent towards getting a sheath and scales.

I'm also hoping that the 52100 Mule marks the start, rather than the end of Spyderco's usage of carbon steels. As great as stainless is, carbon definitely has its place in almost any user's lineup.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Got mine today. Have handled it a little, cut nothing, good 1st impression though. I put it next to my modified Lil T and the handle is very similar to what I did to the Lil T, with a somewhat longer blade. The hand guard sticks out maybe a tad more than I think it needs to, but that's a personal preference, not a complaint. Boring black G10 scales go on this weekend, then need to figure out a sheath for safe pocket carry. Then I'll start carrying it and we'll just see what needs cutting :D
Raqudu

Post by Raqudu »

Mule came in today at lunchtime! :D Opened the box and handled it a bit, then put it away until the weekend. :( Still deciding on the scales. :confused:
Raqudu :D

Freedom is never a gift. It is the "pearl of great price" in anguish won.
[RIGHT]- The Theological Concept of Freedom[/RIGHT]

"Well, it's a nice soft night so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason."
[RIGHT]- Michaleen Flynn (Barry Fitzgerald) in "The Quiet Man"[/RIGHT]
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Yeah clovisc, the Mule is one spooky sharp spydie for sure.... with that "signature" Spyderco Lil Temp/Temp/Tenacious/Caly3 profile ... you are certainly more ambitious than I am w/regards to learning how make kydex pants for your Mule.... looks like I'm gonna have to wing it for now w/ a tactikewl cardboard one w/ duck tape accents :o :p
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Similar impressions. Mine just arrived. Sweet! Nice job Sal!

Can't wait to put this baby through it's paces.

Nice ideas on scales and pants, folks! Probably gonna put some kydex on mine as well but my first attempt at micarta scales last year didn't work out too well. I may para cord it.... Maybe wood?? dunno...

Ken
玉鋼