Show your Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Pale Highlight

Re: Show your Mule

Post by Pale Highlight »

diirk wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:53 pm
I ordered the Spyderco scales and sheath for the HIC but wanted to do something a little different. So I added some dayglow G10 liners. I'm new to all this so I thought something relatively easy would be a good start. It went fairly well for not really having proper tools for working on stuff like this. I'm making a list and will do something a little more extensive for the next MULE. Oh, and I used a heat gun to reshape the sheath to fit the wider handle. 20240310_165302.jpg
This looks awesome! We need a glow pic! Lol
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Took some of my Mules for a hike today. They got to ride in their cozy new sheaths and the new messenger bag I am almost done making. The snow is melting and the ice is off the lower lakes.

I also got to test out my new HIC Mule s bit. I still can't get it as sharp as steel but it cuts apples well and shaves feathersticks too. It feels like a decent working edge but the feeling when cutting feathersticks is about the same as when my good steel blades are ready to be touched up.

It will be interesting to see how long it holds this working edge.
Attachments
20240314_191826.jpg
20240314_191448.jpg
20240314_185503.jpg
20240314_184730.jpg
20240314_184421.jpg
20240314_184837.jpg
20240314_185134.jpg
20240314_185342.jpg
20240314_185017.jpg
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
Donojhall

Post by Donojhall »

sal wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:22 pm
Hi Donojhall, Pale Highlight,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you, Sal. Appreciate the willingness to ship internationally as I’m no longer conus based.

Regards,

D Hall
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Absolutely stunning FS!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

FullScaler wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:24 pm
Took some of my Mules for a hike today. They got to ride in their cozy new sheaths and the new messenger bag I am almost done making. The snow is melting and the ice is off the lower lakes.

I also got to test out my new HIC Mule s bit. I still can't get it as sharp as steel but it cuts apples well and shaves feathersticks too. It feels like a decent working edge but the feeling when cutting feathersticks is about the same as when my good steel blades are ready to be touched up.

It will be interesting to see how long it holds this working edge.
Beautiful scales and sheaths! And what a great place in nature to test them 😃
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
diirk

Post by diirk »

Here's my 2nd attempt at a handle. Maple and epoxy. I still need to figure out a good final finish on it. I sanded it down to 3k and added some clear poly, but don't like the look. I sanded it again a little, but need to take it down further. Overall I'm happy with the look and shape of the handle though.
CPM REX T15 Mule.
418995718_272796825770208_8519446358991429073_n.jpg
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Ive been asked if i could make cheaper handles so i wanted to try and make them flat. Chanfered and screw construction.

Here's a first example in natural canvas :

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Robin,

That's looking good. How did you make them?

sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 am
Hi Robin,

That's looking good. How did you make them?

sal
Thanks, I wanted them to look a bit rough, I love micarta that way (but sadly I'm only able to do that finish on flat surfaces).
I used a drill press, belt grinder and diamond files/sandpaper :grin-smiling-eyes
Some CNC bits on my drill press for the surface finish and pockets for the hardware. I know I shouldn't use bits at the wrong speeds in the wrong tool, but that's the best way I have right now :grin-squint
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Well done Robin, looking good!!
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Paul Ardbeg wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:10 am
Thanks Paul, apparently it was good enough because I need to make another set already :grin-sweat Thicker this time. I might go nuts on chanfering !

PS : I love to see how precise I can be with my files, but these chanfers take too much time, I need a tool dedicated for it but don't know which one would be the best. If anyone knows the best type of tool, I'm open ! Apparently a router would be good but I need to build/buy a table for it ? Handywork uneducation sometimes hits hard :hand-over-mouth

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:46 pm
Paul Ardbeg wrote:
Thanks Paul, apparently it was good enough because I need to make another set already :grin-sweat Thicker this time. I might go nuts on chanfering !

PS : I love to see how precise I can be with my files, but these chanfers take too much time, I need a tool dedicated for it but don't know which one would be the best. If anyone knows the best type of tool, I'm open ! Apparently a router would be good but I need to build/buy a table for it ? Handywork uneducation sometimes hits hard :hand-over-mouth
Nice work Robin! I have a small handheld router that I invert and lock into my bench vise. Such a time saver, its seconds verses potential hours.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Ramonade wrote:
Paul Ardbeg wrote:

Haven't tried it myself but have been looking at a DIY router table. I've got a pretty cheap Bosch router and this YT video shows how to build a table for this router.

p.s. if you ever decide to make micarta scales for the GB1 let me know 😉

MNOSD member #0052

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Paul Ardbeg wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:26 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Paul Ardbeg wrote:

Haven't tried it myself but have been looking at a DIY router table. I've got a pretty cheap Bosch router and this YT video shows how to build a table for this router.

Thanks much ! I thought this kind of tool even with a bought/made table would be too dangerous when using it for relatively small parts like scale. But apparently it's still the best way ! I'll own and use this soon, then :winking-tongue
I've made some CF scales for one of mine already, I can make another set in micarta with no problem :open-grin

Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:44 am
Paul Ardbeg wrote:
Ramonade wrote:
Paul Ardbeg wrote:

Thanks much ! I thought this kind of tool even with a bought/made table would be too dangerous when using it for relatively small parts like scale. But apparently it's still the best way ! I'll own and use this soon, then :winking-tongue
I've made some CF scales for one of mine already, I can make another set in micarta with no problem :open-grin
Awsome! I will send you a DM 😃

MNOSD member #0052

CasperFatone

Post by CasperFatone »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:44 am
Paul Ardbeg wrote:
Ramonade wrote:
Paul Ardbeg wrote:

I have a good amount of experience making knife scales using a trim router/mini table setup, and have a few pieces of advice for you. You are correct that making small parts is inherently dangerous, so you really need to be careful and use extreme caution when doing this. I have been a cabinetmaker by profession for over 20 years now, and I know that you cannot get complacent when doing this type of work or it will bite you!

My first piece of advice is to get yourself good quality top bearing router bits. For cutting the profile of the scales I use a solid carbide compression style bit, which means that it spirals up and down cuts simultaneously. This does two key things, it reduces tear out and it is less prone to grabbing the work piece.

My second piece of advice is to not try to take too heavy of a cut in one pass. This will result in tear out and the bit grabbing as well. With a profiling cut this means you want to trim your workpiece relatively close to size on a bandsaw, and with a chamfer cut you want to do an initial pass with the bit lower than your final pass.

My third piece of advice is to use a starter pin/fulcrum pin. This is so incredibly helpful when starting your cut and when managing difficult spots like when you cut around the tail end of a scale. Keep in mind that you always want to feed your piece against the direction of the cutter, and the pin will make it so much easier to start and stop your cuts.

I do all of my scales using top bearing bits in the mini table setup with a starter pin. You need to use either a template or something to act as a template. For a Mule I will often tape the blade and use the actual knife as the template. You just want to drill for your hardware first, then trim off the extra material on the bandsaw, then do my router work. I will try to come up with a more detailed tutorial with pictures for you if I can find a little time in the next few days.
Amateur maker of folding knives and addicted to modding Spyderco knives

Folding Mules- m398 liner lock, Rex76 compression lock, 15v liner lock flipper
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Man, those Micarta scales look good @Ramonade Clean lines there.

I've been making so many wooden scales recently I wanted to try something different. These are aluminum honeycomb filled with dyed resin.

I think these are my new favorite scales. The way the aluminum honeycomb reflects the light in different angles is hard to catch in a picture but looks incredible irl.

Looks like I need to step back to about 600 or 320 grit in a few spots since I can still see lots of scratches in the pictures that I can't really see in my hand but I think it will be worth it to really dial these ones in.

I've got some red ones like this on the cnc now and will be trying some green after that. It's a slow process with these but I'm pretty happy so far.
20240330_213422.jpg
20240330_213439.jpg
20240330_213452.jpg
20240330_213526.jpg

sal

Post by sal »

Hey FullScaler,

That's beautiful. If you wouldn't mind, please tell me about this material?

sal
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Hey Sal,

This stuff is called C-Tek Honeycomb Composite. It is an aluminum honeycomb filled with composite resin. It mills pretty easily but is a bit finicky to final sand due to the different hardness of the aluminum and the resin.

Regards,

Mike.

sal

Post by sal »

Thanx FullScaler.

sal