Just ordered the *AVAILABLE* Mule 52100... what handles do you plan to put on?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Murdoc

Just ordered the *AVAILABLE* Mule 52100... what handles do you plan to put on?

Post by Murdoc »

Hi :)

As the "Mule sold out" thread is going to die, I thought I'd start a new (positive) one, so everybody's going to see at first glance that there's no reason to be "disconcerted" or even angry about not getting one. Dont know how much are in stock, but right now, thery are in, so order yours! :D

I can't wait to get mine (it comes together with a Tenacious... I couldn't resist to buy one so I can see what it's all about) :o

Making a sheath will be a job for a friend of mine, but the handle is something I would love to do myself. Initially, I think some sort of paracord will do, but a wooden handle on this knife ........hmmmmmmmm....

What are your plans to complete this Mule? Any thoughts about the handle already?

Dennis
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Great thread idea Murdoc.

I might have to look into some purple G-10 or purple micarta.

Why? Well Sal was against purple for any knife a year or so ago, so I think purple on a Spyderco would be perfect right about now. :D
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'm thinking G-10, never worked with it but thought I'd give it a try. I was thinking of trying to make it modular, so I could remove the handles and transfer them to a new variant of the mule later on. Any one have thoughts on what kind of screws would work for this?

I have the Kydex all ready for a sheath and plan on getting a clip for it.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Good question. I've spent more time waiting for it to appear, and not much thinking about what to do for it. I'm actually more concerned about a good sheath for safe pocket carry. Kydex of course. Anyone want to make me one :D

For handle, I have some G10 lying around, but I was just looking at a small piece of desert ironwood I have from a project many years ago. Sure is nice looking. Too fancy for a mule ? Some sort of not-too-thick wood slabs might be the ticket.

Have to think about it. For the rest of you - if you put slabs or whatever on, lets see 'em when they're done!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

No talent at making them myself, so I will probably talk to a knifemaker about it.

I am thinking either Green Linen Micarta, or a Green or Tan G10. The idea I have though, is to make it where I can take the scales off & put them back on easily. This way as other Mules come out, I can just swap the handles to the new one.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Raqudu

Post by Raqudu »

I am definitely going with ebony. Or purpleheart. Or zebrawood. Or cocobolo.

Oh crud, this is hard! :confused:
Raqudu :D

Freedom is never a gift. It is the "pearl of great price" in anguish won.
[RIGHT]- The Theological Concept of Freedom[/RIGHT]

"Well, it's a nice soft night so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason."
[RIGHT]- Michaleen Flynn (Barry Fitzgerald) in "The Quiet Man"[/RIGHT]
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

:D
I have about fifteen different handle varients in the works at the moment.
So far I have made handles in black linen micarta, black canvas micarta, tan canvas micarta, Black g-10, Custom made Red paper Micarta, Clear G-10,
Orange g-10, Cocobolo, Bicote, Ebony, bamboo, Ziricote, Curly Maple, Curly Cherry, Lacewood... I think thats it. I'll post some photos on my website monday night most likely... I would post now but a friend borrowed my camera for a backpacking trip today and tomorrow...

As far as hardware goes... I'm haveing a really hard time finding a barrel type screw that will fit it. I think I'm going to have to take a standard 1/8" barrel pivot and make a spacer that it fits inside that will give it a tight fit inside the holes it the blade. But thats going to take some fancy lathe work. But if I can set it up right I should be able to make them no problem.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Raqudu

Post by Raqudu »

Which ever scales I choose, I'm planning on mounting them permanently, so for me it will be standard sized pins and a layer of Acraglas to make up the difference.
Raqudu :D

Freedom is never a gift. It is the "pearl of great price" in anguish won.
[RIGHT]- The Theological Concept of Freedom[/RIGHT]

"Well, it's a nice soft night so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason."
[RIGHT]- Michaleen Flynn (Barry Fitzgerald) in "The Quiet Man"[/RIGHT]
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Tempted to order a Mule just for this type of project . I know who will make a leather sheath for me , it is the pins from past posts that seem to bewitch me . I was hoping to see some kits or thought that they were to be made available ? Since I will be seeing a bunch of knife makers in the near future that at least one may take this on I guess an order makes sense . Antique Ivory Micarta for me . MG2
whitefeather

Post by whitefeather »

Since Mules don't have horns and I can't wait for my neighbors mule to die to get some Mule bone.....I think Buffalo horn would be nice. Unfortunately I don't have the tools or skill to make my own so I'll have to contract out this job.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I'm planning a quick cord wrap initially.

Gordon
myatt371

Post by myatt371 »

After posting "this" on TazKristi's sticky.....

After a hard day at work and the Mule's are gone already? :(
What gives?
Edit:I just checked the other Mule threads....looks as if I jumped to "conclusions" too quickly...I hope! :)

I ordered "My Mule" today!!! I did indeed, "Jump", and I'll be the first one to admit it. :D

I spoke with Jim(Who couldn't have been more pleasant! Thanks again Jim!!) at the SFO and he politely asked if I wanted to order two of them. I knew I could...but I had to stop and think for a second.

To make a long story a little shorter. I only ordered one.

I would like to thank Sal and everyone that helped put this project together! :)

Can't wait to see all the handle ideas and pics!
"If one hasn't seen the future-One hasn't driven fast enough!"-371

:spyder: "A knife is not just a tool...It is an extension of one's self."-371
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

I'm thinking an exotic wood for my MULE scales. Maybe Ironwood or what's it called...Myrtlewood?? Something burl-like...
Spyderco Collector #162
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'll probably wrap one with purple paracord to carry while I make some feeble attempt to construct a set of easy swap scales. ;)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

JspyEDC wrote:I'm thinking an exotic wood for my MULE scales. Maybe Ironwood or what's it called...Myrtlewood?? Something burl-like...

Myrtlewood would be Sweet... With a thin ebony layer between the Steel and the Myrtle... MMM... that would be so cool.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
GeorgeMaggos

My Mule

Post by GeorgeMaggos »

I recieved my :spyder: Mule Team knife today & now I just gotta get some handles on it & a sheath & I am all set :)

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]

I am thinking antique ivory micarta slabs for this one :cool:

~George
[CENTER]
~~~~~~~~~~
"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. "[/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Even though you can't see Him, GOD has always been there for you <><[/CENTER]
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

you lucky, lucky guy! i'm hoping my mule will arrive tomorrow... never ordered from the SFO before...
CWO

Post by CWO »

Murdoc wrote:Hi :)

What are your plans to complete this Mule? Any thoughts about the handle already?
I'm making my own micarta scales just for this knife. In fact my first pressing went into the plates this evening.
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

I ordered 2 Chocobolo on one and Green Linen micarta on the other.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

CWO wrote:I'm making my own micarta scales just for this knife. In fact my first pressing went into the plates this evening.
Sweet, shoot some pics as they come off the plates. I love making my own micarta.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives