Now thats a mighty fine Mule (pictures)

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Brad S.

Now thats a mighty fine Mule (pictures)

Post by Brad S. »

So while I was at the SFO today I also asked about the Mule, as any good spyder fan would. Well Lynette gives me this little grin and says I was just ok’ed to sell them. So this morning, I got my self a mule. I even had choices, as it seems the first 23 made were made with a stonewash finish and then it was change to the standard scotchbrite finish. So of course i pick up two of the stonewashed. One to build up and use and the second to make templates for handles from which afterwards I'll put a handle on it and give it away.

First impressions, this a dang fine knife. Its a great size, with a great handle. And best of all its 52100 ball bearing steel at 62 Rockwell. I cant wait to use this guy and test this steel. This is a steel I have always wanted to play with this steel and its nice to finally get a chance. It sure does take an edge well that’s for sure. It was as sharp as my ZDP caly out of the box. But I'll post more on the steel after i use the knife a bit.

So quite quickly after getting it, what do I do... drop it and stab myself in the leg while trying to scribe the handle shape onto some G-10. Figures. :D It cuts nicely :D

Anyways, so I started to make a few handles for it. One of the first things I noticed was that the holes in the handle are the strangest sizes. Meaning there is no standard hardware to attach the scales. So I'll have to make some custom sized pins and then epoxy the handles on. So just like most custom makers. That’s fine with me, but I was hoping to be able to order stuff already sized. with scales on it the knife fits the hand like a glove. Its a very comfortable knife.

Below are some photos of my stonewashed mule along with a size comparison with my Para and a few other knives. As well as a few photos with a couple handles I started making. The red one is a custom made paper Micarta, the whiteish green is Plain g-10 (that ones is going to get a sweet Anso style texture) Third is Canvas Micarta. I have all sorts of wood I want to make some scales with as well just haven’t had the time yet to make or finish any of the handles. So I'll have to post more photos when I get it all done. Sounds like Lynette at the SFO is going to get some Cocobolo handles but you never know what she’ll get..

I can’t wait to get the next steel and compare

Sorry about the poor lighting of the photos.

Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

Cool knives. I'm looking forward to hearing what the steel is like. With the scales on, they look a lot like a big Lil' Temp. Great pictures too, thanks. :D
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Yes, thanks for sharing, Tricod, you lucky guy!
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Pity the handle holes are not standard. Not everyone has the tools to make there own pin hardware.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Oh, man! That's a lot like a FB Manix! :eek:
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Looks great. Can't wait for mine.

Tricod- Check your PM.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

araneae wrote: Tricod- Check your PM.
PM returned :D
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

So here are some more “in progress” photos… These are still very very rough, not even close to finished product.

Brad Southard

Southard Knives

Native Justice

Post by Native Justice »

Good job Tricod!

I wouldn't worry much about hardware to attach scales. If you have access to 24 hour 2 ton epoxy, you should be good to go if you can lay your hands on some scales. Some clamps or a vise should do the trick if your handy around the bench to secure them to the knife. Heck if you have access to a router, or even better, a trim router (or a coping saw to do it manually), a file to rough shape them and some sand paper (don't forget a dust mask for safety!) and you could probably make your scales from your favorite material. If they (the scales) don't turn out, no biggy, wrap that puppy in paracord, all's good. That's the beauty of this knife, your first DIY knife project and the blades already done for you! LOL.

With the number of potential iterations of the coming mules, it will be fun to see what people come up with, the skies the limit!. Yea, I know ... I thrive on the positive. Have fun folks!

NJ
Be safe.

NJ

“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai
picobrain

Post by picobrain »

It's a miracle!

What a great company...

Thanks for the pictures.

peace
rocketbomb

Post by rocketbomb »

Beautiful knife. Looks a whole lot like a Lil Temp to me. I want one of these.
"For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword..." Hebrews 4:12

I may be slow, but I'm not very good.
-B. Stark
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

thanks for the generous pix Brad .... man, you work fast ;) :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Native Justice wrote:Good job Tricod!

I wouldn't worry much about hardware to attach scales. If you have access to 24 hour 2 ton epoxy, you should be good to go if you can lay your hands on some scales. Some clamps or a vise should do the trick if your handy around the bench to secure them to the knife. Heck if you have access to a router, or even better, a trim router (or a coping saw to do it manually), a file to rough shape them and some sand paper (don't forget a dust mask for safety!) and you could probably make your scales from your favorite material. If they (the scales) don't turn out, no biggy, wrap that puppy in paracord, all's good. That's the beauty of this knife, your first DIY knife project and the blades already done for you! LOL.

With the number of potential iterations of the coming mules, it will be fun to see what people come up with, the skies the limit!. Yea, I know ... I thrive on the positive. Have fun folks!

NJ
Hey good point! If they can glue cars together, I guess I can find some glue that will hold some scales!
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Native Justice wrote:Good job Tricod!

NJ

Ahh I'm not worried about it at all. I have milled some SS pins to fit the holes perfectly and as well have the whole west systems epoxy system which is exactally how I will attach the scales. Thats the same way that Many custom makers use. Epoxy and pins. I was bummed because not everyone has a metal lathe or mill, and not everyone has that kinda of epoxy in order to pull this off.

I'm planing on makeing 20 or so different handles. I have all kinds of woods that I am planing to use. Bicote, Ziricote, cocobolo, bamboo, crotch maple, crotch cherry, wenge, Ebony, ... Whatever else anyone wants that I can get my hands on.

I am currently in the process of making a couple pin sets and hole sets. So that, for example the lanyard hole at the base of the handle can me lined with SS for kinda a Ronin feel, or a Vox knives feel. Heck I have so many things I want to do with this knife I dont know what to do with myself.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives