"Tenacious" model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

"Tenacious" model

Post by sal »

There seems to be some questions that have already come up regarding the “Tenacious” model. Apparently a PDR consumer catalog accidentally went out with some customer service orders and information has been circulating in our forums about some of the models. The Tenacious being one.

The Tenacious is a “round hole” Spyderco brand model that is made in Mainland China.

While the “general” market could care less about where a model is made, I felt that I owed an explanation to the forumites that frequent our forums.

As most of you know, Spyderco has avoided making any Spyderco brand models in Mainland China. I have personally fought this for many years. We created and developed the entire line of “byrd” brand for that purpose. Those of you that own byrd” models know the quality and designs are quite nice, especially considering the price.

We have decided that we will have to make at least one “round hole” Spyderco model in China. It was something that we had hoped to avoid, but circumstances have forced the issue. Reasons include:

1. All of our competitors are building in China (Buck, Gerber, Columbia River, Benchmade, Cold Steel, Kershaw, etc.) using their trade names. (I think we are the last “hold out”). Major customers (chains) have been asking us to compete in that arena and they feel that our “inexpensive” models (Endura, Delica, etc.) are too expensive to compete.

2. The large chains require large volume and will not tolerate missing or delaying shipments. Our current makers of Spyderco brand models do not have the capacity to service these large customers. Even our own factory in Golden has to push hard to service Wal-Mart with the one model they carry (the Native).

3. The small specialty cutlery shops are shrinking regularly, I think because of the internet and the big chains. This leaves fewer customers capable of stocking and selling the more expensive Spyderco’s.

4. One of the reasons is that there is another knife company making “round hole” models in China and we must compete against our own “look” that are being sold at much lower prices. Looking like Spyderco is popular these days.

I imagine some of you might hate me for going in this direction, (my apologies JD). Some of you will not care. Some of you will understand and not hold it against us. It will help us survive in a very competitive environment.

The “Tenacious” is an “in-house” design that Eric and I created. It is a 3.25” blade, Walker Linerlock. G-10 scales, dual Skeletonized full liners. 4 way clip with all screw construction. Full flat grind. The edge is sharp to the handle. Steel on this intro model is 8Cr13MoV.

We worked on the design and with the maker for over a year, continually refining until we were satisfied that we had a highly functional, ergonomic, strong, safe package, and we can deliver high volume if called for.

We hope it will compete favorably. MSRP is under $50.

We will try to post some pics later today.

sal
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

Sal Thanks for the explanation. As long as you keep quality high and still have plenty of Golden models we'll always stand behind you.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
b-elliott

Post by b-elliott »

Will it be lead free??? Just kidding :D

I, like most, hate to see stuff going overseas, but I rather have a healthy Spyderco that still makes great knives than no Spyderco!!
-------------------------------------------------------

Brent Elliott :spyder:
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Well it must be said. Sometimes things just have to be done. I am glad it is explaned now. To me... No biggy. I have Byrd knives and have no doubt that these will live up to the high quality standards that you have set Sal.
In fact I welcome the model. I often give none knife carrying friends of mine knives as a gift and challenge them to carry it for a year and just see how much they will really use it. Some never use the knife and that’s how it goes. Others have realized how useful they really are as tools and carry every day now years later. Most of them own 3 or four Spydercos now it. I have never been able to give them a Spyderco cause of the price range I am willing to spend. Now I'll have a Spyderco knife that I can give them and introduce them to one of my passions.

Also it sounds like great model as well Dual liners.. G-10.. Full flat... Good Steel. I still cant think of any other company. Even the ones you listed Sal that offer a Knife with those features at that price.

In other words... I'm behind you Sal. Send me one...
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Thank you for the explanation.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sal, I sincerely hope it accomplishes its goal. Not my cup of tea, but that's due to the lock, not the steel, the price tag, or the country of origin.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

As per Sal's post, a picture...
Attachments
C122_Tenacious_Both.jpg
C122_Tenacious_Both.jpg (84.2 KiB) Viewed 11193 times
There is nothing more important than this one day.
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Personally, I don't like seeing more of our money going to China, but I understand that Spyderco has to do it to stay competitive.

I'm perfectly happy with my Seki and Golden Spydies! :) In fact, I want more! :D

ETA: The first thing that came to my head when I saw Taz's pic was, ''Manix." That thing resembles the Manix! You can tell by looking at it that Eric had a hand in it!
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Well, I guess it's either compete on a level playing field or possibly go under. I don't really have a problem buying quality where ever it might be from. I think the idea of "ethical sourcing" has to come into play with the evolving world market. Holding China or whomever else accountable for not only good products, but fair treatment of its' workers is what we (collectively) must do. Regardless of where something is made, there is still a right(more pricey) and wrong way to do things. If we were really willing to pay a bit more for everything we buy(without it being a profit free-for-all by big companies), maybe some things would change for the better.
Thanks Sal. Just the fact that you felt the need to explain speaks volumes.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Thats great looking knife. I like it.

You really can tell that Eric had a hand in it. Its great to see the difference between Sals design work and Erics. They both have their own unique style.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

flipe8 wrote: Thanks Sal. Just the fact that you felt the need to explain speaks volumes.
Yes, thank you, Sal!
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i also dont like seeing my $$ go to china either, thats one of the reasons that i havent gotten into collecting the byrd line but i have to admit that is a good looking knife and i will get 1.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

Thanks for the explanation Sal - that makes a lot of sense. I will never buy any of the Spyderco-look-alikes that are on the market (I think you know who I mean), and I think it makes a lot of sense that you/Spyderco try to get the business that is rightfully yours by creating the Tenacious to compete.

The fact that Sal felt the need to explain the situation to us is exactly why Spyderco is my favorite knife company, and the only knife I carry, except for Swiss Army Knives :D .

Even though I am left-handed and generally not a liner-lock fan, I must say that knife looks really good (and a 4-way clip!).

Tricod is right that the Tenacious would make a great, affordable gift.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Thanks, Sal, for explaining the business reasoning and thanks, Taz, for the picture.

My reasoning is that if such a move improves Spyderco's ability to be competitive, it is worth it. As you mentioned, the vast majority of Spyderco's competition have Chinese made knives under the premium brand name. This same issue has come up in the Buck forum a number of times. The consensus was that if the Chinese made knives were clearly marked and identified as Chinese manufacture, it would be acceptable. As well, US based quality control inspection seems to be a 'must'.

Personally, I trust the Spyderco name to the point that I am confident that a Chinese model will be a more than competent knife. In fact, I will purchase the 'Tenacious' when it is available.

The bottom line is the quality behind the name and there is no doubt in my mind, that Spyderco will uphold the quality and image that has made them a world leader in cutlery.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
Zozo*HC*

Post by Zozo*HC* »

I think i will buy one, i like the design :) I dont care where was it made, until:
1. its quality is at the same level as i expect
2. spyderco produce their knives in seki and golden too :) cause i love vg-10 and cpm S30v
No sacrifice, No victory!
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

Also, the Tenacious will be available fully SE? I think I read that in the other thread...

What is the ETA?
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Thanks for the explanation sal, I'm sure you are going to get a lot of new customers hooked on Spyderco with that blade :D

To me it really looks like a mini-military complete with the clip!

I really hope it can stick with the standard of quality that spyderco is known for though, the byrds are great, but not quite spyderco quality.

PS Thanks for the Pic!
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

sounds like a decision that was both extremely difficult, and necessary.

i'll be interested in the fit and finish of this chinese spydie... if its anything like the byrds, it'll be a tremendous value for the cost.

i think the design is beautiful, and i'll be pleased and proud to buy one. or at the price it's at -- maybe more than one!!!! linered G10, flatground blade... sounds like this first chinese spydie is bound to be a winner.

will there still be a byrd line plus a spyderco line in the future?

sounds like a great "entry level spydie" to give as a gift. :)
Billy

Post by Billy »

flipe8 wrote:Thanks Sal. Just the fact that you felt the need to explain speaks volumes.
Amen to that!

As for the knife, I like it! Kind of a ParaCalyManix. :cool:

Billy
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Rob

Post by Rob »

I personally do not really care if this knife is made in China as long as it is a quality product just like the rest of the lineup.

I like it! I'll take 2 :)

Cheers, Rob