G-10 question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LOOKABIRD

G-10 question

Post by LOOKABIRD »

This may have been asked before but if I have blue G-10 is it possible to dye it black?

Tom
Spyderfly x2, Civilian G-10, Military CF S90V, Military CF BG-42, CalyIII PE CF ZDP-189, Military SE, Harpy SS PE, Merlin SE Black FRN, P'Kal, Tasman Salt PE Black FRN, Karambit, Cricket PE SS, Police SE SS, Ladybug CE Blue FRN

Wish List: Military Black Blade PE
BUY "ALWAYS SEARCHING" ON ITUNES!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

IIRC this has bee asked before, a few months ago. I can't remember the correct answer though. I'd imagine NO, but if you do it'll be surface colouring and it'll wear off.

Daniel
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Alteran

Post by Alteran »

G10 is known for its resistance to chemicals. I'm guessing no.
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Removed
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
dete

Post by dete »

not sure why you want to dye it,
but I think blue handle is awesome! esp. from a legal point of view,
I think it psychologically makes the knife look less menacing.
plus it looks kinda medical-ish to me, like your CSI or something :cool:
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Lookabird,

black leather dye will work on G-10. Also WD-40 will make the black G-10 blacker for awhile.

sal
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

LOOKABIRD wrote:This may have been asked before but if I have blue G-10 is it possible to dye it black?

Tom
If you color your blue G-10 black, then what are you going to use in the final battle with the evil Smurfs?? :D :D :D
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Might I suggest a better solution, swap your blue dodo scales with my black ones? Then we both would be happy :D

(You were suggesting dodo right?)
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

sal wrote:Hi Lookabird,

black leather dye will work on G-10. Also WD-40 will make the black G-10 blacker for awhile.

sal

Well it seems I was wrong. Please excuse me. Sorry bout the miss information folks.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
LOOKABIRD

Post by LOOKABIRD »

Well, Tricod, I assumed the same thing as you and everyone else. If Sal hadn'm chimed in then I wouldn't have a Dodo at all! Now I need to go on a trip to the store and get it!!! :)

Tom
Spyderfly x2, Civilian G-10, Military CF S90V, Military CF BG-42, CalyIII PE CF ZDP-189, Military SE, Harpy SS PE, Merlin SE Black FRN, P'Kal, Tasman Salt PE Black FRN, Karambit, Cricket PE SS, Police SE SS, Ladybug CE Blue FRN

Chucula

Post by Chucula »

So if I get blue leather dye, can I make my foliage green millie a foliage blue millie?
sal

Post by sal »

Chucula wrote:So if I get blue leather dye, can I make my foliage green millie a foliage blue millie?
Don't know. I've only used black dye on black G-10 to make it blacker.

sal
Raqudu

Post by Raqudu »

The typical alcohol-based leather dye may work, but it remains soluble in alcohol, not really "drying" like a paint.

FWIW, I have never dyed G-10, but I have dyed numerous leather projects. As I recall, black was always the most susceptible to rubbing off color. Blue was recommended as a base coat when dying leather to prepare it to accept the black dye. After dying the article black, a vigorous rubdown was required to burnish the leather and set the dye, followed by a clear coating to seal and protect the surface. Dying G-10, I would think that a sealer would be needed.

In any case, I would suggest trying it on some scrap G-10 first. Good luck!
Raqudu :D

Freedom is never a gift. It is the "pearl of great price" in anguish won.
[RIGHT]- The Theological Concept of Freedom[/RIGHT]

"Well, it's a nice soft night so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason."
[RIGHT]- Michaleen Flynn (Barry Fitzgerald) in "The Quiet Man"[/RIGHT]
LOOKABIRD

Post by LOOKABIRD »

Will black leather dye make blue G-10 black?

Raqudu

Post by Raqudu »

It would make it black-er, but I don't think it would give an even, solid black color. My gut instinct is that the dye would settle into the low spots of the G-10 pattern and take very lightly on the high spots. With a little pocket wear, I think it would look more like an "antiqued blue" than a true black.

Again, my experience is with dyeing leather, not G-10. I would strongly suggest obtaining a bit of G-10 of similar texture to your knife and experimenting with the dyes you will use before trying them on the knife.

One other thing - don't forget the plastic gloves. Leather dye works very well on fingers. (I found that one out the hard way. :D )
Raqudu :D

Freedom is never a gift. It is the "pearl of great price" in anguish won.
[RIGHT]- The Theological Concept of Freedom[/RIGHT]

"Well, it's a nice soft night so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason."
[RIGHT]- Michaleen Flynn (Barry Fitzgerald) in "The Quiet Man"[/RIGHT]
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: If it's possible, I would like to know how it could be done! Great thought
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!