book survey

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

How many books per year do you read.

I don't- have never read a book that I didn't have to for school
2%
I read occasionally about a book a year
9%
every couple months I'll find something that interests me.
26%
I read a lot probably about a book a month
26%
I am reading constantly a book a week or more.
38%

Total votes: 47

druid

book survey

Post by druid »

not to be too pessimistic, I think we are slipping into an age of supposedly educated. functional illiterates. and maybe they'll be able to spell well enough to send text messages. but actually reading novels, is becoming an increasing rarity. I've heard in believe that most people read less than one book per year. I've talked to many people of normal intelligence that have to think back a couple years if you ask them what the last book I read was. It seems that we on this forum might not fall into this category, we shall see.

within the scientific boundaries prescribed by people who answer a book survey, more likely readers for not I would think.
why
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

I read about a book per month. I used to read a lot, but now I have a job, and I unfortunately don't have time for reading as much any more. :(
Back from an extended hiatus.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I read pretty fast. I go through a novel or two a week, mostly in the evenings. It's amazing how much more time you have for reading when you don't watch TV ;)

I'd read even more if I spent less time on internet forums :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Alteran

Post by Alteran »

I like to read quite a bit, but I can really go through a book if I get into it. Sometimes I find a book that just clicks with me and I'll read all day.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

I used to read all the time, but now I find my favorite authors have less and less to offer me. Mostly because they don't write anymore ;)
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Tank

Post by Tank »

I read in waves..I will go a few months without reading anything then read three or four books back to back...I also listen to books on cd when I drive for any amount of time.
-John
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I've usually got 2-3 books on the go at a time... more if you include magazines.

Currently working on political philosophy, orwell's 1984, and the latest copy of linux format. Probably have 1984 done by the weekend, only about 1/4 through the philosophy book in 2 weeks so far.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
enyong112

Post by enyong112 »

I read every now and then if there's a book i can borrow that i find interesting... Robert Ludlum or Jeffrey Archer ones... At work I was reading the Bourne Identity, but luckily I got semi-promoted, so no time for reading... :D
Cool as Ice... Clear like Water...
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

I have less time to read for myself now that classes have started, but I try.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I used to read here and there but after having a child (who is now 4) I don't read at all, unless it's a magazine or a certification book for something Microsoft or Cisco related.

Your poll needs another answer for people like me:

* I read occasionally, about a book every few years. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I am a student in mechanical engineering, so I don't usually have time to read a book, but when I do have time I usually read a bunch, so I voted about one a month.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

My 2 cents on the issue:
I had to read such stupid crap in school that I was turned off of books. In my days at middle and high school, less than 10% of our assigned readings were interesting. On top of this, I was always "wrong" in my interpretations in English class. As a result, I (foolishly) decided that if I am going to misinterpret everything I read, I shouldn't bother reading. And I didn't all through high school.

We read classics in school, which I guess was good, but I honestly think it was too early for most of us (definitely too early for me). In high school, we should have been guided in our reading choices, not forced. Ideally, the first few weeks, the teacher talks with each student and figures out what kind of books they will like and makes some suggestions.

Now, about 2 years later, I am in college and steering clear of non-required English classes (especially Shakespeare). I am starting to read true literature and I actually enjoy what I read.

It is a crime to force a 16 year old to read and understand "A Tale of Two Cities" :D
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

reading and book collecting are my favorite pastimes, even moreso than knife collecting. some of my favorite authors include john fowles, john hawkes, will christopher baer, craig clevenger, norman mailer, jim thompson, rupert thomson, steve erickson, fyodor dostoyevsky, paul auster, vladimir nabokov, james ellroy, and on and on...

i read every day, but slowly, averaging about two books per month.
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

druid wrote:not to be too pessimistic, I think we are slipping into an age of supposedly educated. functional illiterates. and maybe they'll be able to spell well enough to send text messages. but actually reading novels, is becoming an increasing rarity. I've heard in believe that most people read less than one book per year. I've talked to many people of normal intelligence that have to think back a couple years if you ask them what the last book I read was. It seems that we on this forum might not fall into this category, we shall see.

within the scientific boundaries prescribed by people who answer a book survey, more likely readers for not I would think.

I read strictly non-fiction, about 1-3+ books a month. For the record, I don't think consistently reading is necessarily indicative of intelligence. One of my favorite philosophers, Ralph Waldo Emerson, pointed out back in his day that people used books on a regular basis as a means of distraction much like TV is looked upon by people today. I also listen to quite a few books on tape or some form of educational audio series while driving and even then I've noticed at times that I was using the audios as a form of mental distraction.

I do however, understand your point and agree that some people who don't read tend to avoid education that's not mandatory by some authority outside of themselves.
Also "Kaizen1" on BF, "ignoramus" on CPF & EDCF. "kaizenrei" on KF, "Kaizen" on USN.
druid

Post by druid »

Kaizen wrote:I read strictly non-fiction, about 1-3+ books a month. For the record, I don't think consistently reading is necessarily indicative of intelligence. One of my favorite philosophers, Ralph Waldo Emerson, pointed out back in his day that people used books on a regular basis as a means of distraction much like TV is looked upon by people today. I also listen to quite a few books on tape or some form of educational audio series while driving and even then I've noticed at times that I was using the audios as a form of mental distraction.

I do however, understand your point and agree that some people who don't read tend to avoid education that's not mandatory by some authority outside of themselves.
I understand your point and it has merit, however I believe reading anything even the popular fiction and science fiction that I read on a regular basis. Broadens your vocabulary, and opens you up to new ideas. on a book for about basis not the same as reading, classic philosophy, Russian novels, were serious historical pieces, but I believe it does have an impact, I also tend to spend a lot more time reading if I read something I enjoy. for everybody this will be different. I actually read more "intellectual" books in high school than I do now. not to blow my own horn. but I think an active mind can find a spark in modest stimulus. On the other hand I think watching TV, can actually be far worse. providing a moving image keep your eyes focused, when your mind is basically in a trance. My family especially my parents, read a lot of higher and intellectual novels, and historical works. to receive a certain amount of pressure to do the same. but generally do not. I would probably gain something from these, but I read what I enjoy, and enjoy it whether or not I always get something from it.

one thing I firmly believe though reading broadens your vocabulary, and we think in the words we know. therefore you might say that any reading, broadens your mind.
why
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

druid wrote: one thing I firmly believe though reading broadens your vocabulary, and we think in the words we know. therefore you might say that any reading, broadens your mind.
I agree, but not entirely. Certain comic books and novels, especially when read as a form of mental distraction, can add zero value in terms of intellectual stimulation. Hey, I'm sure we've all read pure garbage that we could've done better without while online. And certain televsion programs may very well be the stimulus to wake someone up to a new passion. So I do think you'll more likely find those positive stimuli through reading, I just think it's more about the content, context and timing for the individual as opposed to the avenue of how someone gets the info that brings value to the mind.
Also "Kaizen1" on BF, "ignoramus" on CPF & EDCF. "kaizenrei" on KF, "Kaizen" on USN.
gac

Post by gac »

Pretty much all reading makes you think and improves concentration and vocabulary. There is a lot of fluff out there but even fluff has greater benefits than re-runs of Full House.

I've cut way back on my television watching. I have my digital recorder set for just two tv program and only watch one of those regularly. I work in a library so I always run across good titles and recommendations and therefore have both a stack of book and a to-read list waiting.
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

i read alot of books, one about every month or two (im a slow reader, i like to absorb it :D )
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3