moving to alaska!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
clovisc

moving to alaska!

Post by clovisc »

well, it's a pretty exciting time for me... my VISTA/americorps service in the mountainy parts of rural virginia is coming to a close soon, and i've just made a decision about what i'm doing next... moving to alaska to take another VISTA/americorps job. i'll be working to help native alaskans receive training so they can get jobs within the local maritime industry. i'll make a little more money than i've been making in virginia, although its still not much... but i'll have the satisfaction of making a difference, which is what matters most to me. and i'll have the satisfaction and honor of having serving my country in africa, appalachia, and alaska -- which will be a wonderful feeling (its felt great so far). also, i'll be living in ketchikan -- salmon capitol of the world, and 4th rainiest place on earth! (pretty excited to be getting new boots for christmas... along with a patagonia raincoat and parka!)

even though i haven't had much time lately to write on the forums here, i've been able to read and enjoy lots of your posts -- thanks for helping to make my life a little more entertaining during those dull moments! spyderco has been at my side the entire time, and you folks have been in my heart -- and it will continue to be that way.

thanks, everyone!!!!!!!! and thanks, sal -- your ethical, moral decisions as a businessman, and the family you've helped create have really been an inspiration to me. :D
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

Have fun in Alaska! Are you still going to be able to pop in to the forums?
Back from an extended hiatus.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i hope so! if anything, i should have more time for foruming than i have now...! :D
lerman

Post by lerman »

have fun in Alaska, what a beautiful place, for some reason i feel like i don't see a allot of posts from you lately, but maybe it's because i wasn't posting allot myself, anyways it's good to hear from you, and again have a great time in Alaska.
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Time to get the SERIOUS cold weather gear. Best of luck to you!
Steve
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

Good Luck my friend :)
Have fun up North :D
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

have fun..stay warm and take some pics of the aurora borealis for us. :)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i've never been to ketchikan, but it's in the southeast of alaska... while i'm sure it gets really cold in the winter, i understand its fairly nice in the summer... although, it rains almost 24/7. (4th rainiest place in the world!). my holiday splurge this year was on some nice salomon waterproof boots, patagonia rain gear, and patagonia parka... i'm guessing the salts are going to be seeing a lot of use... can't wait for the fixed blades!!!! :D :D :D
Ed Schempp

Stones

Post by Ed Schempp »

I've heard that there are some large opalite deposits in the area. My sister lives in Petersburg and they collect a lot of garnet from the beach. Bears are common along with bald eagles. Have fun...Take Care...Ed
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Enjoy yourself. I visited my sister-in-law & her husband up at Denali back in 98 - beautiful place. If not for family & friends being here, I'd be tempted to move to Anchorage or Fairbanks. My sister-in-law teaches art at the University there, but she is wanting to move eventually. She says she is tired of the long dark winters affecting her moods. Not only was the scenery there beautiful, but the people were great. Most of the ones I met were very independent with a love of the outdoors.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Good luck up there!
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

good luck and safe travels in Alaska clovisc..... sounds exciting! :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Stay safe and warm. Do not disapear.
In six month you will enjoy white nights.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian