Any cyclists lurking in this forum??

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
giant1

Any cyclists lurking in this forum??

Post by giant1 »

My other passion is cycling.

I have a road bike and get out on the weekends for nice long rides usually with a friend or two. I would do it during the week but our business takes priority Monday to Friday.

....So do I have any kindred spirits here ?
:spyder: Collector 118
What goes around, comes around
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

I wouldn't say I'm a Cyclist. But I do Cycle. Most of my cycling involves riding my bike to work (in your face, drivers! I save $5 a week on not having to pay for gas! :p ); and due to the fact that I do ride my bike to work all the time, cycling isn't exactly on the top of my list for recreational activities once I get home. Before I started biking to work, I used to go Cycling quite frequently, although my longest ride was only 50 miles.

In the last 5 months, I've Cycled 500 miles! :D
Mostly through transportation purposes.
Back from an extended hiatus.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Yep, I'm a mountain biker and in my good old days I participated on races in marathon distances (100 - 150 km combined with ~ 2500 altitude difference). Nowadays I do bicycling just for fun with my old race bike GT Zaskar LE, which I mounted by my own hand - still a great bike.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
deeker

Post by deeker »

I'm with Peter. I used to race mountain bikes when I was in my early 20's. I could afford the parts (and injuries) then. Now I just ride for fun and exercise in the good weather months. No training rides, no indoor trainers, fewer injuries, lot fewer broken bikes and parts, eat what I want.. . :D

I've got a couple of Specialized brand mountain bikes hanging up in the storage room now that the snow is coming.
KentVaughn

Post by KentVaughn »

I ride to class and take short 10-20 mile trips whenever my schedule allows. I love my bike.
"Try and leave this world a little better than you found it, and when your turn comes to die you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you have not wasted your time but have done your best."
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

I live on my bicycle. I ride my bike to class, to work, to coffee shops, I take my bike on the bus. Where ever, what ever. Plus I often ride on the weekends for the fun of it. I race sometimes. Not much anymore. I save $15 a week riding my bike. Not to mention what parking would cost if I drove. So I really save at least $30. That just lets me get more Spydies :)

Anyone else ride fixed gear bikes. I like fixed gear bikes cause I often ride in the rain and the snow (Colorado) and its so much eaiser to clean that all the gears. But when I ride for fun/race/ long distance I ride geared. All road bikes.
I kill myself when I ride mountain bikes. My messed up shoulder is a great example of why I dont mountain bike much. Give be 8 inchs of travel, front and back and I become fearless. Honestly after an accident I had this summer bikeing the Downhill Trails in Winter Park, Colorado I dont think I will be able to mountain bike ever again.

So I'm done I could talk about bikeing forever.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
dialex

Post by dialex »

I ride my bike daily going to work and back. I also ride my bike every time I get an opportunity (to the post office or to the bank, even for small shoppings). Having a job that makes me stay on a chair many hours a day, riding my bike is a real blessing. :)
OTOH... where is Raven? He should have been here by now... ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
raven

Post by raven »

dialex wrote: OTOH... where is Raven? He should have been here by now... ;)
I ARE HERE!!! BIKE.......DID SOMEONE MENTION BIKE.......HUH HUH HUH :cool: ??? Yes, I continue my quest of becoming a Top Level BMX Racer. I'm not that far off, but due to work schedule conflict and BODY RECOVERY :rolleyes: :p I haven't competed in......."GULP".......9 MONTHS :eek: . I'm ready to start up again here real soon in the next month or so. I will be giving the Spydie Crew and Family a heads up when the races start. I Will Have The Spydie Emblem Shining Brightly on the Number Plate Representing the Spydie Crew and Family.

I have done some Mountain Bike Cross-Training in the past. I'd love to experience the Down Hill Part of Mountain Biking and I'd Love To Try Mountain X (Cross) Racing, which is basically BMX on Mountain Bikes.......Looks Like A Blast :D :cool: :p . Again, I Will Give The "Family" A Heads Up When The Races Begin. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

Racing BMX Isn't Just A Passion.......It's A Way Of Life For Me ;) . Enjoy the Pix.

God Bless :)

-raven-
Attachments
BMX.jpg
BMX.jpg (39.06 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
SCAN0003.jpg
SCAN0003.jpg (43.35 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
SCAN0005.jpg
SCAN0005.jpg (50.11 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Post by Lostification »

Yep, here's my bike, lolz...

Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
giant1

Post by giant1 »

That's great to see that we have a few bike riders amongst us. I ride anywhere between 70km and 130km depending on who is with me and how we are all feeling. I have an Orbea road bike and love to ride it on the weekend. It's a fun way to stay reasonbly fit.
:spyder: Collector 118
What goes around, comes around
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Sadly, I hardly used my bike this season, but I've done a few adventure races, so I put a fair bit of time on the saddle in the past. Mostly mountainbiking on on older Stump Jumper to a KHS Alite 4000 to a more recent Oryx hardtail. I also have a Trek 2100 road bike that spends most of its time on the trainer. After back surgery last year, I used the bike as my main form of fitness.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Here's another cyclist. Have a Trek 5400 (the old USPS issue team road bike) and a Kona Dawg Supreme. Used to average alot of miles when I did triathlon but now most of my riding is exploring the back country and over the divide into BC and back with the multitude of passes through the mountains. Often involves some carrying/pushing. Have been into cycling for about 25 years now.

Am considering a cyclocross bike because in December I start a new job that is close enough I can ride, run or hike to work (about 12 to 14 Km one way). Occasionally rode home after work at the old job but a 90 km ride after 12 hours rates pretty low most times.
WTC #1455
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

Yep, I like cycling. Both for getting to the station (and work), for doing the groceries, for just getting about and for fun. I do live in a country with more bikes than people so this should not come as a great supprise.

JD
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

I used to mountain bike a lot. We often went to Wayne National forest in Ohio and rode our mountain bikes on the miles and miles of ATV trails. Super wide banked trails with big uphils and big downhills for a LOT of speed :D I don't make it there anymore (the body is starting to feel old), but still get out to some of the local state parks to ride. I helped my girlfriend her first mountain bike this past summer and we ride a little.

I also bought my first fitness bike this year. A Trek 7.3. A lot lighter for the road only adventures
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

From 1997 to 2001, I lived to ride, then we moved to a different environment, and it went to once a week, on my one day off, then became irregular. I just bought myself a workstand, a rechargeable lighting system, and some cold-weather cycling clothing, and will really try to get back into it this winter. Winter is a good time to start exercising outdoors here in coastal Texas, so the body can gradually get used to exertion in the heat as Spring progresses. My goal is to be able to do some local multi-day touring by late Spring.
Civilians, Dodo, Guntings, Mili, P'kal, Rescues, Ronins, Temperance, others...

Have Colt, will travel.
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

Lostification wrote:Yep, here's my bike, lolz...

LMAO nice pic!
I am a cyclist in bad standing. I have ridden all my life but the last several years I have not had the motivation to ride as much. I still Lust after a Cannondale Prophet with a Carbon Lefty fork. Though a Rush Carbon would be even nicer. I may have a friend who rides moving back from Mammoth early next year so we will see.
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
Zwaplat

Post by Zwaplat »

I go to work (4.3 km single trip) every day on my Trek 7300. Had an accident today because of some stupid girl, sadle ripped open and brake lever housing bent open a bit. Bike is 2.5 months old.

I'd rather walk now.

(Sorry, had to rant, that accident just made this the worst day I've had in months. :mad: )
Help science, join Folding@Home !
FLYcrash

Post by FLYcrash »

Bikes and knives...my two obsessions! :D

It really makes it hard to get everything done at work when you have two obsessions overlapping...

Actually, though, I guess my interest with bikes is more on the mechanical side. This fall I rebuilt the internally-geared rear hub and shifting system of my 1974 Raleigh Sports bicycle and otherwise just cleaned it up. It was very satisfying to get that old bike back into first-class working condition. But my actual riding has unfortunately been relatively sporadic.

Bikes and knives...I think the two are related. There's something compelling to me about applying high-end engineering and top-shelf materials to the most minimal of material possessions, reaching toward perfection in terms of performance and ergonomics.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

sitting on my prostate -- far from anything i'd normally choose to do! still, i did a huge amount of cycling in the peace corps -- it was often my only transportation option. i had a raleigh mountain bike with a handful of extra parts... i fixed that thing 100 times if i fixed it once, usually in very creative and inadequate ways! used to use condoms to fix leaky intertubes... :eek:

i gained a good deal of insight into cycling, and bike build / maintanence over there... still, every time i'm driving and i see a bike, i feel REALLY glad i dont have to be pedalling it! (typical lazy libra!)
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

i mountain bike. used to road bike, but i needed money so i sold that stuff and kept with MTB.

http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.