Any other motorcyclists here?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
sharkattack

Any other motorcyclists here?

Post by sharkattack »

Just curious. I've been riding for over 20 years. I've always ridden sportbikes since day one. I love the razor sharp handling and acceleration that these machines deliver.

My current bike is one that I will be keeping for a long time since it's absolutley perfect for me and the type of riding I do. It's a 2001 Yamaha YZF-R1. I bought it new in April of 2001 and have loved riding it ever since.

Most of my riding is Sunday morning blasts, usually about 2-3 hours long. It's anough for me to get my 'fix' in, and still allow me time to spend with my family. I typically get up and ride early in the AM, while the familiy is waking up/eating breakfast.

What about the rest of you folks, do any of you ride? If so, what are you riding? How long have you been riding? What type of riding do you like to do? Any pics of your bike?

Here's a pic of my Blue Beauty in all her glory. I went back to the OEM exhaust though. The Akrapovic carbon fiber muffler is no longer on her. It was just a tad too loud, and it always made me paranoid. At times, I have been known to get a little heavy with the throttle, and I hated the idea of broadcasting my location to everyone while I was enjoying a ride at a 'spirited pace.' ;)

Cheers,
S.
Attachments
116_1620-3.jpg
116_1620-3.jpg (45.77 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
squad314

Post by squad314 »

I'm "between bikes" right now.I started in 1990 with a '87 Kawasaki EX 500.It was a great starter bike and I rode it for one season before moving into a '86 Ninja 1000R.Next was a '92 Harley Davidson FXRS Lowrider and my last was a 1992 FLSTF Fatboy.I sold my Fatboy in 2001 with 75000 kms on it and it still worked great.My father has a 2005 Fatboy which is at my disposal at all times but I find it tough to find time to ride.I plan on getting another HD in the future when my family grows up but I'm in no hurry.

BTW shark,I rode an R1 a couple of times and man,are they fast. :D .Have fun and ride safe.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
sharkattack

Post by sharkattack »

You bet. I had an '86 Ninja 1000 too. That was the old ZX-1000R model, IIRC. Looking back at some of the sportbikes I've owned in the past, they seem so crude by today's standards. For example, the bike I rode before my R1 was a 1995 FZR1000. Very fast bike, but it was heavy (by today's standards) and the suspension was just so-so.

For me, it's not only about the power that the bike makes, it's the ability to control that power and make the bike stick in the curves. For me, my modification money is best spent on tires, brakes and suspension. While my bike is down on power compared to the newer sportbikes, it'll still make you grin from ear to ear with a twist of the throttle. Plus, after having the suspension thoroughly worked over, it sticks to the road like velcro.
deeker

Post by deeker »

I'm in between - had an R6 and a BWSR scooter, and am looking longingly at the new Triumph Scrambler. I prefer the white and blue one, but this should give you the idea...

http://www.triumph.co.uk/uk/5857.aspx

squad314

Post by squad314 »

sharkattack wrote:You bet. I had an '86 Ninja 1000 too. That was the old ZX-1000R model, IIRC. Looking back at some of the sportbikes I've owned in the past, they seem so crude by today's standards. For example, the bike I rode before my R1 was a 1995 FZR1000. Very fast bike, but it was heavy (by today's standards) and the suspension was just so-so.
I hear you shark...while in '86 our Ninjas were pretty fast,it seems to me that power technology was advancing faster than suspension and brake.Looking back(particularily after riding some of the current sportbikes) the big Ninja handled like a shopping cart and wasn't overly quick to stop.Add to the equation the fact that I went to HD for a number of years,....to say I was impressed by the performance of the new crop is an understatement.

BTW,my ZX was red and grey...how 'bout yours?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
sharkattack

Post by sharkattack »

My ZX was red and gray as well. Didn't it have some black in it too? It's been about 11 or so years since I've had it, I don't recall exactly what colors it was. I only owned it for about a year or so. I traded it in on the FZR1000. That was an awesome bike.
My collection so far: Delica SS PE, Delica 4 FRN PE, Endura FRN SE, Manix 2 G10 PE. Since I've officially been bitten by the bug, the collection is sure to grow... :)
Tank

Post by Tank »

Just got rid of a Vstar Classic 1100 so I to am in between bikes. I had the oppertunity to ride and 07' R6 this weekend. I have to stick with cruisers. That thing is scary fast and I didnt even get on it that much.
-John
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Another biker here!

My ride is the FJR 1300 (the first, the light one :-)

fast & powerful, yet comfortable to ride.

Dennis
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I have myself a '79 honda CX500 custom. It's not as fast as a sport bike, and not as comfy as a cruiser, but it seems to be a happy balance for me.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
WinstonWolf

I miss my duc

Post by WinstonWolf »

Another rider here.

I am now in a Honda Shadow. I used to run around in sports bikes and then I got married. I don't know why but she wants to keep me around and when I was ready to upgrade last time she gave me an ultimatum - the bike or her. Naturally I opted for a compromise, a cruiser and her. I have to admit that I miss the speed of my Ducati but I would miss my wife a lot more.

I ride almost any day the weather cooperates, that means that sometimes my car goes without being started for 3 or 4 weeks at a time and then it also means that my bike goes without being started for just as long.

WW
grasshopper

Uads

Post by grasshopper »

I am the very proud owner of a 2000 BMW R1150GS dual sport.For those
unfamilar with the bike it is the benchmark of which all dual sports are
judged by.Yes it is not the fastest bike on the the road but it handles
like a sport bike,stops better than most sportbikes (ABS),gets better
gas mileage (50 MPG HWY) and I can pack almost a 1/4 ton (including
rider(s)) on this bike.I've been places offroad with this machine that
would boggle your mind.I'm not talking about dirt roads here, I'm talking
forest trails that would be impassable with any 4x4.Just today while cruising down a dirt road a couple of kids were in front of me on their "QUADS"
they looked back at me and grinned and proceded to start doing fishtails
as to stir up the dust in front of me.Well, you should have seen the look
on their faces as I blasted by them doing about 85 MPH!!

Seriously the GS series has been referred to as the "Swiss Army Knife"
of Bikes. Others have called It "FUGLY" Sounds to me like alot of
descriptions of SPYDERCO knives.BTW whenever I ride my bike I pack
my Bob Terzula STARMATE. Don't ask me why,I don't know??
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

I am the very proud owner of a 2000 BMW R1150GS dual sport.For those
forest trails that would be impassable with any 4x4.Just today while cruising down a dirt road a couple of kids were in front of me on their "QUADS"

JT

Post by JT »

I've got two,
Kawasaki custom, I'm selling it.. and my Honda Transalp, an dual-sport.
Grasshopper, ain't it great to be able to go offroad to where even 4x4's are not able to go. It just opens up a new world to explore, especially if you ( I do) like outdoors, hunting, fishing, hiking etc.
I try to ride my bike as often as I can, but winter is coming.. and snow. That sucks.

And yes, I pack at least one :spyder: too, whenever I ride.
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

Nightdog,come down to the desert sometime...I ride year round!! :D :D :D
JT

Post by JT »

Grasshopper, are You familiar with this forum:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/

I find it a great place to lurk on.. especially during long winter months.
arnon

Post by arnon »

grasshopper wrote:I am the very proud owner of a 2000 BMW R1150GS dual sport.For those

My 1996 R1100 was the best bike I have ever had. By the way I used to call it The grasshopper.
Be well Arnon
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Post by Lostification »

My dad calls those ~ninja~ bikes "coffins", and that's from 25yrs police experience (retired as assistant chief).

Point being, those things are dangerous. Please be careful guys.
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

nightdog wrote:Grasshopper, are You familiar with this forum:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/

I find it a great place to lurk on.. especially during long winter months.
yes I'm familiar with the site, As "grasshoppers"! I don't post much though Just lurk-so much info there...
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

arnon wrote:My 1996 R1100 was the best bike I have ever had. By the way I used to call it The grasshopper.
Be well Arnon
That's a funny coincidence. My Spyderco " handle" is derived from my 1970 lime green mustang .... my CB radio handle was grasshopper. :D :D
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

That got me thinking, does anyone else have a nickname for their bike (or car)?

I call my bike "duck", it's green and it's engine configuration is often called a "flying V" (very similar to a motoguzzi).

And if you were wondering, my car is the Outlaw, it's a 96 Crown Vic PI that left the force a while ago.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE