Had my first opera lesson last night

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
thombrogan

Had my first opera lesson last night

Post by thombrogan »

Had been trying to teach myself how sing opera using books, cd's, and online resources, but realized that was going very slow and certain songs (my favorites, naturally :( ) made my throat feel raw, so professional assistance was needed. From last night's introductory lesson, I believe I found my teacher. Learned to adjust my throat to make some vowels sound clearer and that my voice-type was different than what I thought it was (which explained why singing Verdi's Iago pwn'd my voice worse than death metal singing). The teacher has been at this for nearly 58 years and is an absolute research-hound, so that was very reassuring.

Had to share. Very psyched.
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Wow, study one Way and and you study them all, congrats on undertaking such a deep and disciplined path! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
deeker

Post by deeker »

What's your range - tenor, baritone??

What would be your favourite to sing, and / or will it change now that your voice type or style has been correctly identified?
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

That sounds exciting!

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Michael Cook wrote:Wow, study one Way and and you study them all, congrats on undertaking such a deep and disciplined path!
I dunno. Studied Arnis Lanada pretty seriously and it did nothing for my singing voice. Though combat heneral allowed me to avoid food being thrown at me....
deeker wrote:What's your range - tenor, baritone??

What would be your favourite to sing, and / or will it change now that your voice type or style has been correctly identified?
I'm a tenor. :o Thought I was a baritone and wanted to learn baritone repertoire (was hoping to learn how to sing Iago's aria "Credo in un Dio Crudel") and wondered why it always made my throat raw. Singing a few notes higher doesn't wreck me though, so yay.

Thanks for your kind words, Agent Starling.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Opera is awesome!

Wishing you the best in your musical venture, never give up on your passions.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

pretty cool Thom... :) But do you practice singing while sharpening and hit the high notes as you finish up an edge on 7000 grit waterstones ... :confused: :p
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

Very cool, Thom. Thanks for letting us know what you are up to.

It took me some years to come to appreciate opera, and now I do. We have a decent opera company here in Orlando. Perhaps you will come here as a lead!
EarthDog
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

JaIslandBri,

Sharpening is best done when singing Largo Al Factotem from Rossini's Figaro, but it is a baritone piece and the best notes hurt my throat.

Axlis,

Thanks for your kind words.

EarthDog,

It'll be a while before that happens, but you do have a Disney World my family would love seeing.

thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Lesson two was last Wednesday. The teacher had me diving right into some notes in a way that will condition my vocal cords to perform with high energy for long periods of time. The drawback is that it was totally foreign to how I used to croon, so I was coughing and hacking by the end of the lesson and I can't practice that particular exercise for much more than three minutes at a time. The exercise is getting my voice more connected to my body, so that's very nice. The teacher also noticed some things I was doing which interfered with proper singing and helped me remove them. I'm very pleased.

Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Awesome Thom! I really respect you for doing something so "from the ground up" as an adult! It can be hard to be a beginner! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Agent Starling

awesome!

Post by Agent Starling »

Opera and classical music training is not easy, but very rewarding...having been trained in and having played classical music for most of my life (piano and violin) I can appreciate what you're going thru...but it's worth it! :D

Agent Starling
Zwaplat

Post by Zwaplat »

Well, best of luck to you. I recently found out I can actually sing pretty decently, while I've been thinking the opposite for many years.
I had a very good soprano voice as a kid (or what's it called at that point?), but that went away by the age of thirteen ofcourse. Haven't been able to hold a tone since then.
During summer though, I did some musical singing on vacation (a bit Westside Story, Sound of Music, Disney classics, etc. :rolleyes: ) and with practice I managed to sing quite OK. My classical music training (clarinet) helped of course.
I checked with a piano, and I've got quite a good range: tenor and baritone, possibly bass too, and falset voice. I have some difficulties going from tenor to falset, though.

I'd love to take some lessons, but I'm already too busy with bassclarinet and two orchestras that I'm putting those plans in the fridge. Also, not sure my neighbours would like it very much if I were to sing at the top of my voice every evening. :D

Just one thing I'd like to tell you: breathing is everything. Use that midriff, and keep your shoulders in check. It helps so much with the volume. But your teacher prolly told you that first thing. ;)
Help science, join Folding@Home !
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Michael Cook wrote:I really respect you for doing something so "from the ground up" as an adult! It can be hard to be a beginner!
I might be old, but definitely not an adult! :D Learning is fun; learning something cool from a great teacher is even more fun.
Agent Starling wrote:Opera and classical music training is not easy, but very rewarding...having been trained in and having played classical music for most of my life (piano and violin) I can appreciate what you're going thru...but it's worth it!
My guess is if it were easy, it'd be more prevalent. My brother tried learning the violin and we both tried learning the piano. Those are difficult to play well and you had the added onus of having to sight read. That's discipline.

My illiteracy will only haunt me when it's important to be literate.
Zwaplat wrote:Well, best of luck to you. I recently found out I can actually sing pretty decently, while I've been thinking the opposite for many years.
I had a very good soprano voice as a kid (or what's it called at that point?), but that went away by the age of thirteen ofcourse. Haven't been able to hold a tone since then.
During summer though, I did some musical singing on vacation (a bit Westside Story, Sound of Music, Disney classics, etc. :rolleyes: ) and with practice I managed to sing quite OK. My classical music training (clarinet) helped of course.
I checked with a piano, and I've got quite a good range: tenor and baritone, possibly bass too, and falset voice. I have some difficulties going from tenor to falset, though.
That is excellent, Zwaplat! Did you notice that singing legato lines is harder than playing them on the clarinet?

Your voice-type is actually slightly different than your range in that your timbre is also included. Some basses can hit high C or higher, but their notes sound different than when a baritone, tenor, or soprano sings the same note.

Sounds like the breath control from your bassclarinet playing certainly aided you.
Zwaplat wrote:I'd love to take some lessons, but I'm already too busy with bassclarinet and two orchestras that I'm putting those plans in the fridge. Also, not sure my neighbours would like it very much if I were to sing at the top of my voice every evening.
There are only so many hours in a day. However, my teacher just taught me a method for practicing singing which trains the full voice without using full volume. According to him, it's training method Caruso learned from European Cantors and brought back to the USA. I'll probably learn it more next lesson and be able to share more.
Zwaplat wrote:Just one thing I'd like to tell you: breathing is everything. Use that midriff, and keep your shoulders in check. It helps so much with the volume. But your teacher prolly told you that first thing.
Yep. He taught me to breathe "laterally" and keep that posture while singing.

Last night, he also taught me about that practice method as well as had me work on making smooth transitions from midrange notes to high-range notes. Without the "covering" he taught, it feels like gears are slipping in my throat and the tone wasn't as good as when covered. It's lots of fun and I can't wait to get better at this stuff.

Getting back to the mention of cantors, when I was younger, I sang some songs for Chanukkah and one of the listeners remarked that I sang just like a rabbi. Beemed with pride over that statement until later learning that, of Jewish clergy, cantors are people whom sing. :o

The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

My uncle and his wife were professional opera singers with jobs in places like the Munich opera ( 3 years there). He was a bass baritone. When he would sing for us at family get togethers it was a real treat. One time he was doing a song from Les Miserables in french and his voice was so powerfull that the marble inlays in my living room furniture ( 3/4th inches thick, around 20 lbs each) began to vibrate and literally dance in the furniture. It only happened in certain parts of the song. His, or her singing could bring tears to my eyes.

I think it's a pretty cool thing you are doing thom. Stick with it. There is a kind of magic in people that are good wether singing, or with instruments. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Two and three-quarters months later and my voice is getting a little better. It's no longer devestating my lower back and belly to sing properly (how out of shape do you have to be to "feel the burn" while singing and get sore from it?) and the two songs I'm working on ("Caro Mio Ben" and "Nel Cor Piu Non Mi Sento") are sounding less and less like garbage with each passing week.

There's a holistic experience in that the technique for learning to keep one's breath from running out is same for supporting a ring in one's tone and for being louder if so desired. When my wifey learned the teacher was helping me be louder, she wasn't so pleased. :D

anthonyc

Post by anthonyc »

post an mp3!
Agent Starling

+ One

Post by Agent Starling »

anthonyc wrote:post an mp3!
that would be cool!
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

Fantastic!

Sometimes a little professional help can pay big dividends and save you from having to invent the wheel all over again.

I've consider taking voice lessons but never found the time (actually it's make the time) to do. I'm glad to hear you followed through with it. My understand is that with the right coaching you can dramatically expand your range and vocal strength.

Let us know when you make your public television debut. :)
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

glad to hear you're still flexing those vocal cords Thom :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."