ziptie waved spyderhawk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
crunch716

ziptie waved spyderhawk

Post by crunch716 »

hi guys! while itching for the p'kal, ive been playing around with reverse grip wave openings. i experimented first with my waved d4, got a lil bored, then pulled out my spyderhawk and some zipties. here are some pics.

notice the excess material on the leftmost ziptie, this little protrusion works like a charm for me by providing that extra 'snag' on the pocket.

now some pics of it in action.. (i am not an expert on knife deployment or usage in a SD situation, i was merely experimenting on quicker opening methods which could be applicable to SD)

its been really reliable so far and it requires about the same kind (but even less amount) of pressure as my waved d4 does to open it. i havent tried to open in under stress or while fending off an attack but i hope to be able to this weekend at training. anyway, i hope u guys at least enjoy the pics of a beautiful spydie. :D
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Hey Crunch, it works...it's reliable for you thus far...train and carry! Nice pics! :D
JD Spydo

A great Hawkbill got better

Post by JD Spydo »

Interesting :spyder: Very interesting :cool:

I want to know more :)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
dete

Post by dete »

looks like your pants are a but loose
for efficient wave :)
crunch716

Post by crunch716 »

stonyman
thanks for the kind words. youre right, bro, train and carry. :D

JD Spydo
i suggest you try it right away. just make sure you put the zipties on really tight and face the square locks and the little protrusion towards the lip of your pocket. i find that because it's protruding sideways, it catches easier on the pocket when putting a slight outward pressure and some outward twisting as well. i find this carry and deployment technique really useful for hawkbills (and possibly, reverse-s') since they are very natural to defend with in reverse grip, edge out.
on a side note, i just wanted to let u know that the spyderhawk that u see in the pics was purchased after reading ur positive posts about it and the other spydie hawkbills/reverse-s'. :)
crunch716

Post by crunch716 »

dete wrote:looks like your pants are a but loose
for efficient wave :)
thats a good point you bring up, dete. i find that this setup works even better on my denim jeans (which are substantially tighter). the difference is that the knife unclips itself later on the draw, but the zipties still catch on to the lip on these loose pants (kinda like a 'whip' open). i havent really considered it an issue since these are my school pants and i cant/dont carry a knife with me to school, but it is interesting to note that the type of pants should be considered as part of the setup. thanks for the input! will be considering this variable during training