Surefire 6P or G2?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Fred Sanford

Surefire 6P or G2?

Post by Fred Sanford »

Hey guys,

After attending the Janich class I really want to purchase a Surefire light. I'm looking at the G2 and 6P right now as they seem like they are almost identical lights. One being polymer and one being aluminum.

Shall I assume that both are great lights and either will be wonderful?

It will be carried mainly as an SD light (to temporarily blind folks and then either run or hit). I also learned how well these make impact weapons. I will probably use it off and on in little short increments as needed. I don't ever do anything that would require it being on for long periods.

What do you say?
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Big footed nick

6P Vs. G2

Post by Big footed nick »

Well, I own a 6P Defender and I think it would be the best as an impact weopon, So I would not only go with the 6P but the 6P Defender, I have handled the G2 and it does not seem like it would be as suitable to stirke with, plus the 6P Defender is made to strike with and has an extra thick lens so it would be alot harder to break while striking
:spyder:
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

I say, check this out.

http://www.lightreviews.info/news.html

It seems that flashlights have had some revolution.
The latest LED lights are stunning.
For example, Fenix it's latest L2D puts out 170 Lumen.
The thing has the size of everyone's good old MiniMag.
Yet gives far more light then the big 4 cel Mags, and it doesn't break your wallet.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
JBE

Post by JBE »

Personally, I prefer the G2 (I have one and my son has one) but I use mine primarily for illumination without any SD consideration. To me the 6P would be more along the lines of what you want, esp. the all-aluminum construction and glass lens. Also, the 6P allows for more variations with aftermarket add-ons then the G2.
Jason
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Whichever one you get, I would strongly recommend getting the Cree LED version rather than the incandescent. They cost more but the drastically increased run time is worth it, just in case you find yourself in a situation where you need sustained light.

Runtime on an incan G2 is about 1 hour per fresh pair of 123 lithium cells, after which you will have negligible useful light (I found this out while taking a walk at night, thankfully I had a backup light). The Cree will give more lumens with comparable throw and much better side spill for several hours before there should be any drop in output on the same power supply.
~ Nate
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

My opinion is neither. I'd go with the E2D if funds permit. It's a little slimmer, and it's got a nice impact bezel on it. Designed for emergency SD purposes.

Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Thanks folks.

I should add that during the class Mr. Janich made it clear that all the cutouts and jagged edges on the bezels of flashlights made no difference. He said he has found out from folks who have seen people who have been struck with a flashlight and that it doesn't look any different. Meaning that the standard 6P would do just as much damage as a 6Pd with all the cutouts on the front and back.

He also added that you will be more likely to get through airport security with one that doesn't have all the cutouts in the bezels. You would also make out better in court. ;)

What do you think?
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Agent Starling

agreed...

Post by Agent Starling »

David Lowry wrote:I should add that during the class Mr. Janich made it clear that all the cutouts and jagged edges on the bezels of flashlights made no difference. He said he has found out from folks who have seen people who have been struck with a flashlight and that it doesn't look any different. Meaning that the standard 6P would do just as much damage as a 6Pd with all the cutouts on the front and back.
I didn't know that, David, they've been touted as SD lites but Mr. Janich ought to know... :)
David Lowry wrote:He also added that you will be more likely to get through airport security with one that doesn't have all the cutouts in the bezels. You would also make out better in court. ;)
I agree with that one...sounds like the same principle as carrying a Civilian for SD vs. a Delica or a Lava...I still want an E2D though! It's nice and small, very compact... :cool:

The G2 was the first one I bought cuz it was the most inexpensive Surefire yet is rugged, bright and is supposed to be for SD also. The one I use now is the CREE E1L outdoorsman...very tiny, has a clip, rugged, is still an SD light but doesn't have the crenelated bezel of the E2D. :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

David -

regardless of bezel design, etc. you might want to consider weight and thickness of the light if it's something you're planning on carrying often. The E2D weighs only 3.2 oz, the G2 weighs 4.1 oz, and the 6p weighs 5.3 oz. I'm not sure of the specific thicknesses of the g2 and 6P, but they felt significantly bulkier in the pocket.

I'm sure if you deliver a blow to the head with any of them, you're going to do some damage
markg

Post by markg »

I can attest to the fact that a G2 will produce significant wounds when used as an impact device. I have used one in training, when I should not have! I took a significant amount of flesh off the arm of my training partner. Mike was making the point, that the more we "weapon-ize" items like flashlights, the more they will be prohibited. All the cutouts and impact "enhancers" really do, is make it impossible to carry any flashlight on a plane or in many public places.

That being said... If you are looking at Surfire's get either the G2 or 6P (In most cases, the number in a Surefire model is the amount of batteries it holds. The 6P predates this practice and the 6 is in reference to the voltage of the light. One C123A battery is 3 volts) you might want to consider the LED version. They are new and maybe hard to get. You can also consider the E2e for the perfect EDC light. A Z2 might not be a bad choice either. Word is that, at sometime, there will be drop in LED models for the Surfires (like the G2, 6P or any light that comes with the base P60 lamp). As soon as they stick the CREE LED in the L2, I am all over that one. You would not believe how that changed the output of the L1.

And don't sweat your choice... Flashlights are as addictive as knives. You will get more than one! Also, it is fun because you get to use them and don't have to sharpen them. I use my lights more than I use my knives.

Right now, my "go to" Surefire is a U2.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Mark,

What Surefire did you have Friday night in class? I forgot already. I liked it a lot.

I never thought I would ever spend more than $30 on a flashlight. I have said so on many occasions and I am about to eat my words. :)

Thanks for all the advice. I do want to wait on the LED version of the 6P but I wonder if it will cost more and if it will have the same amount of output (lumens)?

:)
KaliGman

Flashlights

Post by KaliGman »

I have carried Surefires for years and have many of them, including dedicated weaponlights (lights that are mounted on firearms).

I agree with Mr. Janich in regard to the fact that the crenelated, "striking" flashlight is less likely to be looked on favorably by TSA and allowed on an aircraft. I disagree with the assertion that the crenelations are worthless in a combative use of the flashlight. If the light is used in a quick hit and retract jab, then there is no real difference between a standard and crenelated design. If contact is made on a soft target, such as the biceps of an attacker, and then the weapon is turned or "ground" into the assailant, you will find a significant difference. In addition, the crenelations do aid in certain pain compliance techniques.

In your case, I would recommend the Nitrolon light. The G2 is relatively cheap and very rugged. I would buy this one, use it, and when funds permit, purchase another Surefire, perhaps a Defender. You can quickly find that you start accumulating these things like Spydercos :D .
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
markg

Post by markg »

David Lowry wrote:Mark,

What Surefire did you have Friday night in class? I forgot already. I liked it a lot.

I never thought I would ever spend more than $30 on a flashlight. I have said so on many occasions and I am about to eat my words. :)

Thanks for all the advice. I do want to wait on the LED version of the 6P but I wonder if it will cost more and if it will have the same amount of output (lumens)?

:)

I had a G2Z, it is the "plastic" version of the Z2.

The LED 6P will cost a bit more, it looks like it might run about $25 more.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

markg wrote:Word is that, at sometime, there will be drop in LED models for the Surfires (like the G2, 6P or any light that comes with the base P60 lamp).

Individual drop in Cree heads are already available to fit those models. They're not Surefire's own parts, they're from other manufacturers. I got one for my G2 from Lighthound. Took some adjustment to work out the contact but once it was dialed in it worked great. Incredible light.
~ Nate
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Oh heck. :)

Now I'm looking at the C2 Centurion too, but I have no idea what the difference is other than it seems to have a clip and looks different. I also like the standard E2E and the Z2.

Great I can see that this may be bad for my wallet. :)
crunch716

nitrolon

Post by crunch716 »

hi david! im a bit of a surefire afficionado myself, i have both the 6p and the g2, and i also have an aftermarket tactical head that fits both models. my edc is a g2 with a tactical bezel on it for two reasons: the polymer body of the g2 is lighter and provides a little shock protection, and the 6p's knurling scratches anything that i put in the same pocket with it.

oh, and might i suggest the p61 lamp assembly (120 lumens for 20mins) since your needs do not requre a long runtime and the doubled output may give you a little more advantage in a SD situation.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Well, I just bought a 6p. :)

Thanks for all the feedback. I also bought a pack of 12 Surefire batteries with it for $21. :)

And......I also threw in another Delica 4. :D

I'm excited.
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Post by Lostification »

Get the new G2 LED. It's 20 lumens (80 lumens) more powerful and has a 12 battery life as opposed to 60 minutes. I'm picking up the G2 LED lamp piece for mine as soon as it is sold seperately.
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Post by Lostification »

Oh, you already bought one... hehe! :D
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Wise choice FOM. I was going to suggest that you get the 6P just because there are more options available (although they will probably make them available for the G2 if they haven't already). You can get the A19 extender for the 6P for a brighter light if you feel like something different.

Truth is, either one would have been good. They both have different trade offs. G2 is lighter, but the 6P is more expandable.

BTW:

The LED versions are already available. No fear though, since they'll be making the LED lamp assembly's available in the future.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis