Art by me thread.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dedguy

Art by me thread.

Post by dedguy »

For those interested, going to try to keep this all in one place. Will update it as I post up new pieces. Going to start out with this run of Illustrations I've done for pieces of classic literature for work.

They all had to be black and white to be as printer friendly as possible.

The titular character from The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells

A Tripod from War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

Dorian Grey's picture from The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde

Beowulf from Beowulf

The dragon from Beowulf

Next to come is Grendel and then maybe the Jabberwocky.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

While I continue to work on the SYNX comic, I just had to get this particular image out of my head. I actually may end up re-using it as the final frame in the comic or redrawing it as the final frame. Anyway just a sketch so far.

I was thinking I'll do it up all black and white and maybe have a friend of mine color it if he's down for it. I had talked to him before about doing the coloring for my first comic when it's done so I think this might be a nice start.

Anyway...

More to come as I work on it. I think I like the pose, just need to work on the drapery and how I'm going to have her cape/dress thing pool around her.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Keep em coming Dedguy.
I like your work.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Tom v S

Post by Tom v S »

I really like the last one! Cool to see work from you. Keep em coming, I enjoy them :cool:
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate it!
dedguy.net
dete

Post by dete »

great art man!

I'm also a fan of classic lit. and you have mentioned 2 of which I have
enjoyed very much! The Invisible Man and The Portrait of Dorian Grey.
Another one of my favorites is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Oh man I would love to do some stuff for 20,000 leagues.
dedguy.net
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Spent a lot of time (too much) figuring out what to do with the shoes/feet settled on bare foot. I think it's time to move to AI. The background I'm going to fabricate mostly in AI due to all the strait-ish lines that are a pain in the *** to draw by hand.

dedguy.net
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Couple more updates:

dedguy.net
deeker

Post by deeker »

Cool stuff. It's neat to see how the last picture is coming together for you.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

dedguy,

It's not my kind of art. I'll be honest. But, I have to say that you are a great artist. You have skillz man. Those are some cool drawings. I do like seeing the progress in the last group of drawings.

This is really cool. I like this alot:
http://dedguy.net/images/art/2006/house.jpg
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I appreciate that! My art tends towards the dark and violent, it ain't for everyone but I can and sometimes do happier stuff. My job often requires me to work on much more kid friendly cartoony stuff which is fun to do as well.
dedguy.net
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I think the "inks" are pretty much done on this, although if anyone has any suggestions on anything to add to the background I'd be willing to listen. I didn't want the BG to get too noisy/complex as it make the character difficult to read.

I really like her sword. It started out as a fairly plain Katana the first time I drew it but has envolved into a weird fusion of a rapier/saber and a katana.

dedguy.net
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Scrapped the hand, redrew it, tweaked the foot some, mostly the heel. Hopefully we'll see some colors from Chesh(the colorist) soon :D .

I purposly left the image very flat, only using black for the depest shadows and the line. Wanted to leave a lot of room for the colorist to work. I'm contemplating getting him to do all the color work on my first comic which I have pretty well plotted now. Just need to start drawing it.
dedguy.net
dialex

Post by dialex »

Very neat work. I liked very much the illustrations you posted at the beginning of the thread (the Invisible Man, War of the Worlds and Dorian Grey). They are simple and strong.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

cool stuff dedguy, thanx for sharing... :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Working on what's going to be a t-shirt of these guys...
http://dedguy.net/images/art/2006/berrymuch1.png
http://dedguy.net/images/art/2006/steve.png
http://dedguy.net/images/Wallpaper/spoo ... 24x768.png

Started out with a quick sketch of Berry Much (the chick) in a pose I had in my head... sort of suspended in cables for some reason. I couldn't find a justifiable reason for the pose and thus ditched it.

I then did this sketch, which was part of my original idea wanting to do a sort of homage to pulp novel covers.

I really should have done a full layout before going into this much detail on just Berry. It worked out okay I think though, I'm liking the design. I think I would to sketch in a bit more detail and then I'm going to bring it into good 'ol Adobe Illustrator. The text will be much nicer, but it's SO much easier to do hand drawn text in AI as opposed to PS.
dedguy.net
dete

Post by dete »

very nice!
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Thanks dete!

another WIP... I'm still messing with the colors and right now I have too many. Mostly I'm just trying to get the shapes down.

dedguy.net
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Awhile back for work I created a "Scientist's Notebook" as part of an Elementary school learning module created for Florida public schools.

I have a copy of it hosted locally on my server:
http://dedguy.net/images/junk/teacher/s ... index.html

Well I have just begun working on the second for the next module. There will be a total of I think.. 5 modules. This one differes a bit from the first in that it will be 3 different stories (ignore the 4 in the image, my mistake :o ). There will be tabs sticking out of the book to quickly switch between sections.

Anyway this is what I have done so far. I'm liking it more than the first already. Everything created by me in Adobe Illustrator, including the fake Katsushika Hokusai piece.
dedguy.net