Yojimbo: a knee-jerk review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
uhiforgot

Yojimbo: a knee-jerk review

Post by uhiforgot »

A Yojimbo arrived for me at work this morning. What a puzzling moment THAT was!

After having seen so many pictures of the Yo and hearing so much about it, I was still unprepared for what I found. For the first time, a :spyder: came out of the box whose side profile was exactly the size I expected it to be, but I’ll be damned if it wasn’t twice as thick as I had anticipated! The blade is as thick as a Manix blade, and the scales have some of the meatiest G10 I’ve ever seen! Mind you, in my eyes this is a GOOD THING!!!

Of course, it felt weird in hand before opening it (because the clip was on the wrong side, as usual ;) ) but popped open with an unexpectedly strong and sharp sound. Even the lock was stronger than I had anticipated, and had ZERO vertical play. It felt like someone had glued the thing open! Closing it leftie (even after switching the clip to the proper side) is a pretty tough, though, and extremely awkward. Wrong-handed unlocking and closure is actually quite pleasant, though.

Opening was a bit awkward in the beginning due to the protrusive part of the scales just before what MIGHT be considered the “small” choil, but is now quite fluid and natural. It even takes well to the reverse grip middle finger opening (that I have no name for yet).

In the hand, it first felt like the clunkiest and most awkward piece of crap ever, but I figured out that my first instinctual grip on the knife just, well… sucked. Feels quite nice in reverse grip (edge in AND edge out), and what I call the “gardening grip” (regular grip, edge in, quite nice for trimming tomato vines). Also, unlike most :spyder: ’s, in a normal, edge out grip, the Yo seems to encourage you to choke back on the scales and take almost a pistol grip or whip grip on it. I like that. A lot! It’s quite different from my daily use of the Lava where my index finger lives millimeters from the blade.

As expected, it was hair-popping sharp (This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department).

When in the hand while closed, the “pointy part” looks as though it would work nicely for pressure points. Now, if only I knew some pressure points…

The jimping on the back of the blade was puzzling to me until I held it closed in my hand where it felt nice and grippy (see above paragraph)

In conclusion: This knife is cool, and I’ll have to start carrying it instead of hiding it as I have with all of my latest knives (lest I be disemboweled with them by a girlfriend who doesn’t understand my collecting addiction). But it’s still one of the strangest knives I’ve ever seen; makes the Dodo look “normal” by comparison. For the moment, it defies my understanding.

Whereas many would fear what they do not understand, I now find myself ever more fascinated.

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Nice honest review my man.

The Yojimbo is a bad boy.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
JD Spydo

Yo & RO: 2 SPYDER Hall of famers

Post by JD Spydo »

The Yojimbo and the Ronin both were knives I didn't give a lot of attention to until the Ronin got discontinued back in late 04. At that point I decided to get a Ronin and try to figure out what Mr. Janich and Mr. Snody had in mind when they designed these 2 works of genius.

I really value both blades highly and they are both PERMANENT fixtures in my USER Arsenal. I look forward to the days to have the opportunity to take one of Michael Janich's and one of Bram Frank's courses on self defense discipline with their blade designs.

The Yojimbo might appear simple at first glance but when you get one you'll be like "uhiforgot" was when he got his first one. The really neat thing about the Yojimbo and Ronin both is that the blades are short enough to be legal in most municipalities in even most of the big cities that usually have horrible, draconian knife laws. And few Spyders get as sharp as these 2 do. I have a Yojimbo that is so sharp I think it could outcut a straightrazor.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Good pick!

I ordered 2 Yojimbos several months ago and only recently took a second look at them. My first impression of them was horrible, the lock was wrong for a lefty, the kick was too small and the ergos just seemed off. A few weeks ago I was cleaning my junk drawer for trades and found them and after studying the knife very hard I have taken quite a shine too them.

My first impressions were way off after I finally figured out the safe and effective way to deal with the lock and actually use the knife. Now the knife feels glued to my hand and one-handed closing is much easier. It's slowly edging out the Dodo as my favorite city knife.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Welcome to the world of Yojimbo...in a few weeks...you'll be in love.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
tx_outlaw

Post by tx_outlaw »

I am planning to get one in a couple of weeks, im counting the days......
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Ahhh, another proud owner of the Yo!!! :D
shu

Post by shu »

The G10 does not seem quite as 'smurfy' in the hand... I expected it to look half comical, whereas the reality is it looks quite utilitarian -- as in, "its a utility knife, officer."