Mr. Janich on youtube explaining knife danger

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Michael Cook

Mr. Janich on youtube explaining knife danger

Post by Michael Cook »

More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

was that a delica??
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I'm sure that was a delica. :spyder:

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

As much as I can respect Mr. Janich's credentials, and as well put-together this video is, I can't help but wonder why such a video would be made.

Knives really are potentially dangerous tools in the wrong hands and one must be careful in such encounters, but aside from the part describing that said attack tools are usually improvised, I can only see this being detrimental to our current state with respect to knife laws.

I mean no disrespect to Mr. Janich for making such a video as it is very informative, but just can't help but be curious about how such a video would be ultimately beneficial.

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

maybe he isnt the one who posted it. that could have been on a dvd for police and somebody got a copy of it and put it on the web. plus i don't see them banning box cutters because of it and you saw what damage that did. alot of the scumbags i used to arrest carried them because it wasn't illegal to do so. later when i made the switch to the FD i was on the ambulance one day we brought a girl in with a gash from her chin to her temple made with a box cutter. it was pretty nasty.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

tonydahose wrote:that could have been on a dvd for police and somebody got a copy of it and put it on the web.
That actually makes a lot of sense, and it would also explain the "attack without warning" part. There are lots of videos on youtube that are posted out of context. I just wish this one had more of an explanation.

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Much of the attack footage is used to show that strong side thrusts are the most common knife attacks and that thrust attacks are often fatal but ineffective at immediatly stopping an attacker (the goal of self defence).

Pork man shows how destructive small blades can be against main muscle groups such as the biceps triceps and quadriceps. :spyder:

uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: Much of the attack footage is used to show that strong side thrusts are the most common knife attacks and that thrust attacks are often fatal but ineffective at immediatly stopping an attacker (the goal of self defence).

Pork man shows how destructive small blades can be against main muscle groups such as the biceps triceps and quadriceps. :spyder:
You as a martial artist notice this, but what I believe is cause for a bit of concern is what John Q. Public sees, or rather perceives. Again, good video, but very likely shown out of context.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

The 2 minutes of credentials was a tad overboard. But a good video. The Delica did some Damage.

uhiforgot in your signature you say

I'd like an order of BUTTER with extra BUTTER and a side of BUTTER!

are you married to Paula Dean
Episteme

Post by Episteme »

Great video. Everytime I feel 'underknifed' when carrying 'only' my Standard, Delica, or Yojimbo, all I need is to remember the terrifying cutting and stabbing power of the delica 3 and I can be brought back to reality. Similarly, seeing the devestation that such a blade can inflict provides a sobering perspective of the true horror of facing a blade-wielding assailant.
Mike
"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me." -Immanuel Kant

"I do not worry about what will happen; only what needs to be done". -Lucious Hunt, "The Village"
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Good video. He's just speaking the truth it sounds like to me.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
tx_outlaw

Post by tx_outlaw »

Its a good clip, Michael comes to Texas a couple of times a year, maybe i can catch him the next time hes here........
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

The video seems to be taken out of context from it's original purpose...I'm with UhIForgot with his concerns, seems a bit out of place on You-Tube...I'm pretty sure it's not MJ doing....I would be very surprised if it were.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
dete

Post by dete »

Paul Vunak did a similar video in which he did a few "small" slices to show how much damage can be done. Not a pretty site...

I think MJ and Vu perhaps just got fed up with people training in trapping, locking, disarming sensitivity drills and acting like they are ready to go pull it off in real life.

that would be like a boxer that only does focus mitts and thinx they are ready to go.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Vincent wrote:The 2 minutes of credentials was a tad overboard. But a good video. The Delica did some Damage.
Agreed, but this is also part of what led me to believe it's part of a longer video.

It would be nice if Michael Janich could drop in to comment.
Vincent wrote:uhiforgot in your signature you say

I'd like an order of BUTTER with extra BUTTER and a side of BUTTER!

are you married to Paula Dean
Nope. I've loved butter since before she was on TV, but once in a while I get the feeling she's a distant relative of mine. I feel, though, that my bloodline is closer to Alton Brown :)

dialex

Post by dialex »

Thanks for the link. Very instructive, like all Michael's stuff.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
JD Spydo

The YOJIMBO: Meaner than we think

Post by JD Spydo »

After watching this YOU TUBE of Michael Janich I see much more vividly why he is so high on the Yojimbo design. From what I've gathered from that video with what that small box cutter could potentially do then you put the Yojimbo or Ronin into play it's really all the SD blade one would reasonably need.

Again being sharp is a huge part of the factor. I sometimes feel quite comforable carrying my ZDP Calypso Jr. I ususally keep it sharp enough to go through flimsy cigarette rolling papers.

Last summer about this time maybe a few of you remember when I posted about an accident I had with that same ZDP Caly Jr. I just slipped and a had a freak accicent and it cut to the bone of one of my fingers. The pain was not that bad at first but within a couple of minutes is was really getting mean. I can only imagine what it would be like if you had your arm or leg cut to the bone.

Michael Janich is truly a class act.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Michael Cook

train hard and stay safe!

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I fail to see what's dangerous or untoward about this info, thugs already know how to be thugs and the whole world knows what can be done with box cutters. :spyder:

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I don't see anything dangerous about the info in the video clip either...question is how did this clip manage to get itself on You-Tube...I don't think MJ posted it and it seems like it might be pieced together from a longer video.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
fifthprofession47

Post by fifthprofession47 »

uhiforgot wrote:As much as I can respect Mr. Janich's credentials, and as well put-together this video is, I can't help but wonder why such a video would be made.

Knives really are potentially dangerous tools in the wrong hands and one must be careful in such encounters, but aside from the part describing that said attack tools are usually improvised, I can only see this being detrimental to our current state with respect to knife laws.

I mean no disrespect to Mr. Janich for making such a video as it is very informative, but just can't help but be curious about how such a video would be ultimately beneficial.

The video, The Edged Weapon Threat was made for law enforcement to better illustrate the dangers inherent with any edged weapon. Furthermore, it was meant to show just how dangerous a small blade like the Delica could be. The video also serves to educate those that criticize law enforcement officers for shooting violent offenders when armed "with only a knife".

Mike made the video a few years ago. He did not post this on YouTube himself. It was originally on another website (I don't recall which one it was) and copies have been floating around the internet for a few years. It looks like someone with a copy decided to post it on the ever popular YouTube.
"One is none and two is one"

Martial Blade Concepts - Certified Instructor

http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/