Assist

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
WinstonWolf

Assist

Post by WinstonWolf »

Any other Assist fans out there?
I bought this as a gift for my brother for his graduation from EMS/Firefighter school on the recomendation of Mike @ Grindstone Cutlery (Fort Wayne Indiana). After I gave it to my little brother I could not think of a better knife to have in my first aid kit so I bought another one!
selektah

Post by selektah »

I just bought one for my brother, who is also a fireman/emt, for his birthday later this month. He's not a knife guy but I'm hoping he will like it and find use for it on the job. With all its features, it certainly seems ideal.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Thats for posting, Ive never seen an Assist that close before. Looks like a great knife.
WinstonWolf

Post by WinstonWolf »

Vincent - I am hoping to get some better pictures up on a better back drop. That will be once I have the hole polished up (lazer or plasma cut lines just don't look right to me). I'll take some pictures with some other Spydies I have and post up...now back to polishing this hole
WinstonWolf

Updated - Polished Spyderhole

Post by WinstonWolf »

I got tired of the rough feeling of the Spyderhole in my Assist I. I decided to take care of the problem. The Spyderhole was de-burred with 80 grit sand paper, polished up though other grades though 300 grit and finished up with some Metal Glo polish. I have not measured the hole since the clean up but I do not think I took any more than 5 hundreds of an inch in the process. If you choose to do this to your Spyderhole be careful, do it by hand and check your progress often, you do not want to take off any more material than you absolutely have to.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

nice job WinstonWolf......with the Cobrahood ensuring good thumb purchase when deploying the blade......it's nice to see a shiny polished hole every once in a while.... ;) I've got one like yours.......even though the carbide glass breaker is missing, I prefer the plainedge wharnie tip of the Assist 2.... :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

nice job WinstonWolf......with the Cobrahood ensuring good thumb purchase when deploying the blade......it's nice to see a shiny polished hole every once in a while.... ;) :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
JD Spydo

Assist I> under appreciated for sure

Post by JD Spydo »

The ASSIST I and the Titanium ATR are the only 2 Cobra hooded Spyders that I really like enough to make USERs out of them.

I've heard that they have cease production on the GLASSBREAKER model :( I hope that's not true. But Spyderco is a constantly changing company and they often move onto newer ventures.

The Assist I is truly among the "unsung heros" as far as obscure Spyders go. When it gets wacked from the line up then you'll hear a lot of good about it. It's happened so many times before. Great thread
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!