11 Year Old Arrested for using a Rubber Band Gun

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

11 Year Old Arrested for using a Rubber Band Gun

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

11-Year-Old Arrested For Using Rubber Band Gun
June, 2007

OCOEE, Fla. -- An 11-year-old Ocoee boy was arrested for playing with a toy gun. Police said the arrest was necessary, because it was a safety issue.
The boy was using a rubber band gun and his father said the kid did nothing wrong, but police said they take it as a serious threat and the 11-year-old is facing felony charges.

The crime isn't very common, but Ocoee police said it is serious. It centers on an 11-year-old boy and his toy short-barreled shotgun.
The incident started Sunday afternoon, when the 11-year-old was riding in his dad's pickup near Clarke Road and White Road in Ocoee. Someone driving nearby called police after they said the boy pointed what looked like a real gun out the window. The victim told police she was afraid for her life.
"With that type of behavior, it's hard to tell if it's a real gun or not, especially in their car," said Sgt. Randy Conyers, Ocoee Police Department.

But, according to the charging affidavit, the 11-year-old's dad said nothing was wrong with what his son had done and that he used to do it as a kid. The boy even told police he was pretending to be a cop and thought the victims were laughing with him.

The gun itself only fires rubber bands and was checked into evidence. Police didn't comment on the weapon's color or release any images. Still, the victims said they were frightened and, police said, toy or no toy, the charges are justified.

Eyewitness News spoke to the father of the suspect on the phone. He said his son is out of juvenile detention and that a judge told him the case would be dropped. He also confirmed that the gun was black, but that it looked more like a stick than a gun.
__________________....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
i.v

Is there no limit to paranoya?

Post by i.v »

There is nothing left to do but sigh...
Can you teach the stupid how not to be stupid? maybe we were doomed to lose from day one...
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

People are fools....
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

It's stories like this that make me want to stock up on knives, guns, food, survival items, etc, for the inevitable downfall of our current society.
Back from an extended hiatus.
JBE

Post by JBE »

i.v wrote:There is nothing left to do but sigh...
Can you teach the stupid how not to be stupid? maybe we were doomed to lose from day one...
Exactly.....You can't fix stupid and there's no cure in sight...Sometimes I'm amazed how people like that have actually survived in today's world. Chalk another victory up to the frenzied, liberal-fed masses.... :mad: Poor kid...
Jason
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

This is asinine!! :mad: There is no common sense left in this world!!

Good Lord, yu should have seen the toy guns I played with as a kid!! :eek:
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Stenny

Post by Stenny »

You guys don't understand it... it was a serious hazard!
I wish to move here... NOT.
What a bunch of paranoic chickens. The day similar cases will surface in central Europe, I am heading for woods.
...but no, no, you know it all, it's harmless little bunny...
huugh

Post by huugh »

Look on the bright side: they didn't shoot the boy, did they? :D
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Thats BS, Ive been caught with a high powered sling shot(one that goes over the wrist) and I had Metal Marble Balls I was shooting. I was 19 and didn't get in trouble and they are vastly illegal in NYC. I was in the wood shooting soda cans, but I mean there is a time when police just need to let things go and save themselves the trouble.
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

Absolutely crazy. They are charging him not because he did anything wrong but because the women felt threatened.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
Agent Starling

unbelievable...

Post by Agent Starling »

is there no end to rampant stupidity and paranoia...?

Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."

Post by 224477 »

What can I say, the world`s just getting crazy......... :rolleyes:
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Vincent wrote:Thats BS, Ive been caught with a high powered sling shot(one that goes over the wrist) and I had Metal Marble Balls I was shooting. I was 19 and didn't get in trouble and they are vastly illegal in NYC. I was in the wood shooting soda cans, but I mean there is a time when police just need to let things go and save themselves the trouble.

You lived in the USA I always dreamed about.........

And it seams it doesn't exist anymore....

Shame...

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

psimonl wrote:You lived in the USA I always dreamed about.........

And it seams it doesn't exist anymore....

Shame...

Simon

what the heck are you talking about.
Episteme

Post by Episteme »

Hoplophobia (one of the forumites mentioned this term not too long ago in a thread that I started) knows no limits. I'm appalled. :mad:
-Michael
"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me." -Immanuel Kant

"I do not worry about what will happen; only what needs to be done". -Lucious Hunt, "The Village"
ken

Post by ken »

Must have been a slow day for the OCOEE PD...

Maybe those officer's should have stayed at the donut shop a little longer!
This has to be a joke.
ken
dialex

It's a shame!

Post by dialex »

That's only another symptom that the world is falling down. It's a sad and well deserved faith :(
All those who whine about seing people carying dadly SAK knives and children playing with toy guns will have something to think after (not if) the Arabs and such will have their own Enduring Freedom Operation over the US and the rest of the "civilized" world :mad:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.