Least Favorite Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spygineer

Least Favorite Spydie?

Post by Spygineer »

Do you guys have a least favorite spydie? Not trying to be blasphemous - just plain curious. Plus I believe there is a lot of market research value for asking such a question.

OK, so here is mine…OCELOT. No reason other than I’m not feeling the handle design. (pls. easy on the hate mail :D !)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've never seen anything I hated from Spyderco and I remember back to almost the beginning, when the worker first began getting publicity. I typically don't carry anything that is too small and slippery and sharp for easy carry in my not real dexterous hand. I tend to cut myself on the spin if not carefull, though I really like mine. It's not the knifes fault, just me. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have a great many least favorite Spydies, and they all have stainless steel handles ;) :D

It isn't the fault of the designs, I just don't like metal handles. Having tried fifty or so, I have concluded that I never will.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
markg

Post by markg »

For me it was the FRN Dyad Jr.

Just did not work for me.
bigkahunasix

No SS

Post by bigkahunasix »

Have to agree with Yablonowitz. SS handles just do not work for me, at all.

Bigk6
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

Kumo. I really thought I would love the knife, especially with the similarity to the wrapping of a Japanese katana, which really works well for me. With the resin on the cord, however, it feels like a plasticy piece of crap in my hand. It just sits in its box in the safe.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Mostly out of fear of getting cut and not knowing how to "use it" properly, I guess i'll nominate the Karambit.... it just sits in my Spyderpac, out of harms way... :eek:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I agree, Spygineer, it's a good marketing question. I'll admit I avoid the "big handle small blade" knives (making an exception for the Yojimbo). And I usually don't buy FRN either (making an exception for the Caly Jr.). I'm not defending my choices because they're not particularly logical. De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum--there's no disputing of taste.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

military is one of my least favorite.
"A little temperance is a good thing" -- Sal Glesser

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

D'Alton Holder Toad. Possibly the most lefty hostile knife Spyderco ever produced. On top of that, even if there had been a dedicated LH version made, the short, thick blade, poor ergonomics and lack of a lanyard hole make it a model I'd never carry.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
lycanthought

Post by lycanthought »

civillian. 'nuff said.
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

lycanthought wrote:civillian. 'nuff said.
good one.
"A little temperance is a good thing" -- Sal Glesser

Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Of the ones I've had and carried,

(hang on while I put my Nomex on)

Sorry guys, but it has to be the Caly Jr. :(

The point on the top of the blade makes it uncomfortable to reach past in my pocket, the clip would pull the blade off center, and it is a bit small for my hand. I end up cutting myself on too small knives. It is an incredible slicer however.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
catamount

Post by catamount »

My least favorite :spyder: is one that doesn't have a lefty friendly lock and/or ambi clip; especially when it's a design I really like otherwise.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

I'm going to go off the ones I own.. for me my least favorite is my FRN Endura 3, the one made before they had liners, the lock is weak.. but I LOVE THE BLADE DESIGN AND ERGOS.. so I'm just holding out for an E4 ZDP
spyder spyder spyder spyder
Blades

Post by Blades »

I have never liked the Navigator. I have had 2 or 3 over the years, tried them, but either sold them or traded them off. I just don't care for it.
I think I am the only person in the world who doesn't like it. :)

Blades
--Jason--
KaliGman

Karambit

Post by KaliGman »

jaislandboy wrote:Mostly out of fear of getting cut and not knowing how to "use it" properly, I guess i'll nominate the Karambit.... it just sits in my Spyderpac, out of harms way... :eek:
I have noticed a small trend on the forum in regard to people being a little leery of or having been cut by their karambits. Due to questions from students in my Kali class and other individuals, I am thinking of posting something on my website in regards to using a karambit. There will be somewhere between 2 to 4 short QuickTime videos on the subject, as well as a write-up. It will probably take me around 3 to 4 weeks to film this, write it up, edit everything and get it up on the web, due to my other commitments. If anyone is interested, once I have it completed, I could post a new "Karambit" thread with a link to my site (so I am killing my bandwidth and not Sal's :D ). Let me know if anyone thinks this would be worthwhile or helpful. If no one is interested I'll put it on "the back burner" and work on some other projects I have in the works.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Hannibal Lecter

Hmmm...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friends,

Honestly, of all of the Spyderco knives I have handled, the stainless Native is my least favorite. I can't explain precisely why - I have several stainless-handled knives, so I doubt that is the issue. There is just something about how it fits in my hand, I suppose.

The FRN versions are fine, BTW. :D

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

I'd have to say the Karambit. I don't own one but I have handled one. Frankly, it scares the heck out of me. I KNOW I would get seriously injured if I owned one. This is not a criticism of its functionality. To me, its more intimidating than a Civilian or Matriarch. :eek:
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

For me it would have to be the Spyker. I just don't like the huge wording on the blade, the blade shape, or the silver G10 on the handle.

If I had it my way I would own every Spydie ever made but not the Spyker. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford