strider question...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

strider question...

Post by 5150 »

uh... yeah...please forgive my ignorance, but i have not been able to handle any strider folders for myself...yet i find myself pondering a purchase. how is their fit n finish? i understand they are hard use folders, but i am wondering how they are regarding things like blade play and lock up, the durability of the finish on their blades, basically overall presented quality?? i'm thinking for their asking price they should be fairly "tight" and impressive... :confused:
thoughts? :confused:
thanks!

p.s. i'm not trying to start a war here. :)
SPYDERCO doesn't blend...and i like it!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

My Strider SnG has good tolerances & locks up tight. So far I have not marred the finish, but then I have not used it for anything hard. With use the finish on the blade will get marred, but if you are worried about that you need to buy a showpiece. I have heard of people getting Striders that did not meet their fit/finish expectations but 99.9% of the time Strider has resolved the issue with them.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

I got to handle the AR i won my cousin and it had some of the best fit/finish ive felt. they are pretty solid in my opinion :)
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I have a few, and they are top-notch, ultra-hard-use knives. Engineering/quality/materials are outstanding. They're expensive, but you get what you pay for, and their warranty cannot be beaten.

I know dozens of people who stake their lives on them daily, and never spoken to a user who has been let down.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

The Strider thing confuses me... there seem to be at least two makers making very similar knives both which are called "Strider" and both of which look the same.

Buck, and Strider. I am confused.

"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
para-force

Post by para-force »

dedguy wrote:The Strider thing confuses me... there seem to be at least two makers making very similar knives both which are called "Strider" and both of which look the same.

Strider collab'd with Buck to make some less expensive production knives with the Buck label on them.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

All the Striders I've handled have been well finished. There are some models where I think the price is not commensurate with the overall level of the product (usually based on the market's premium on supposed exclusivity) but there are others I feel are a fair value. I don't know that I'd call any of them impressive, but that's subjective to a certain degree.
~ Nate
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

dedguy wrote:The Strider thing confuses me... there seem to be at least two makers making very similar knives both which are called "Strider" and both of which look the same.

That Buck version is a collaboration with Strider knives.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Ah I see, Buck also makes a wood handled one if I'm not mistaken.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

I have a SnG Tanto that has excellent lock up, blade centered perfectly and fit and finish is very very good (for a $400 knife). In fact it's one of the very few production/mid tech knives I've bought that has zero blade play. It's best to buy the knife from a dealer who inspects each knife twice, once when they arrive and then again before going out to a customer. Striders are known as "hard use" knives so people have a tendency to ride em hard and put em away wet, therefore some used Striders are not in the best shape.
Cheers,
Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

While I don't have any presently, I've owned four and found them to be very consistent in fit&finish. I also found them to be well-centered. One of my SnGs had the slightest hint of play when I grabbed the blade and put pressure on it, but it didn't leave me with any concern. I found one of the Striders I had(a RCC with Gunner grips) had better finish than my Seb and had amazing grinds. Thing is, I came to the conclusion I wouldn't use a $400 knife as hard as I should, so I decided to let them go.
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

I have 40+ Striders in my collection. All have excellent fit and finish. They are an excellent knife. I would highly recommend them.

The Buck-Strider collab knifes I found to be less than exciting after owning a real Strider.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

They are good knives but some do have blade play and some have locks that IMO travel to far over.When buying one I ask if there is blade play and how far the lock travels on the tang.25 to 50 % lock travel on the SMF-SNG is IMO Ok.
MY SMF locks solid with no blade play and has a lock that rides at 50%.In the last couple years Strider has gotten much better in fit so its not as much of a gamble getting a really good one.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]

Post by 5150 »

thanks for all your responses!
i'm seeing a trend here that these are regarded as a pretty high quality folder.
does anyone have any advice on what would be a better first buy...a pt or sng...for edc that is? is a pt basically as tough as a sng, but just smaller? :confused:
thanks again! :)
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

smf!!!!!!!!!!!!
"A little temperance is a good thing" -- Sal Glesser

WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

The PT is much smaller than the SnG, more of a small precision cutter, it's very nice and well built, but does not compare to the SnG or SMF for brute strength.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The SnG is about the size of a Large Sebenza.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

5150 wrote:thanks for all your responses!
i'm seeing a trend here that these are regarded as a pretty high quality folder.
does anyone have any advice on what would be a better first buy...a pt or sng...for edc that is? is a pt basically as tough as a sng, but just smaller? :confused:
thanks again! :)
I prefer the SnG because of the size - it's nearly perfect for my EDC. I've found the PT to be a bit smaller for all-around use than I like. Both are rock-solid designs, though, so you won't go wrong with either.

The USMC SOCOM issues Strider SMF's - 'Nuff said. They don't issue junk gear. They could have chosen any knife in the world, and they chose Strider. They're not the only unit to issue Striders, either.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!

Post by 5150 »

interesting... :confused: i was thinking the pt would be just as tough seeing as it seems to have about the same thicknesses as the sng, except it's shorter of course. :)
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

5150 wrote:interesting... :confused: i was thinking the pt would be just as tough seeing as it seems to have about the same thicknesses as the sng, except it's shorter of course. :)
The SnG has a larger Pivot Bolt, a more massive frame.