Sal is lightning fast!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
oregon

Sal is lightning fast!

Post by oregon »

At OKCA this morning Sal was kind enough to demonstrate the reverse grip pull of my waved Endura 4.

Bernard Levine, Sal and I had been discussing the late unpleasantness. Mr. Levine was called away and a Spyderco enthusiast walked up and wanted to know about Spyderco knives. I showed him the E4W regular deployment pull several times with Sal watching as I talked about the Emerson wave. Sal took the knife, centered it in his front pocket, and did a reverse grip pull so fast, inches away from our bellies, that the other guy and I were stupified with fear and amazement. Sal is as quick as chain blue lightning. There may be snow on the roof but there is fire in the furnace.

Reliving that moment makes me want to go get a pillow for my head.

This one event was well worth the $5 gate fee.

Came home with a $25 Japanese red oak boken, $50 stainless machete with leather sheath (El Salvador), a $35 rainbow leak with a $5 leather zippered pouch, a giant $17 Navaja (I know) and a smile on my face. Another great, must see, show.

oregon
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Hi Oregon, I am glad that you had a good time at the show. Congrats on your purchases! This should be attached to your thread " Hi my name is Sal.......and I too Wave!" Way to go Sal! It is said that nothing leaves planet Spderco without the Top Man's approval! :D
swede

Post by swede »

Isn't it a great show? I really missed going this year. I had about the same experience with Sal and Ed Shempp 2 years back. Lots of interesting stuff there.
Thanks for the story.
Dave
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

I had exactly the same reaction the first time I saw him Spyderdrop a Military in person.

Greased lightning! :eek: :cool:
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

Yeah, Sal showed that to me too, and I just about pissed myself, I definitely had a few minutes where I could not remember my name....

I was not interested in the waved Spydies, until I saw that. Wicked...
tgiannes

Post by tgiannes »

any links to were i can see this??
will he be at the blade show in Atlanta?
Ron_Miami

Post by Ron_Miami »

oregon wrote:At OKCA this morning Sal was kind enough to demonstrate the reverse grip pull of my waved Endura 4.

Bernard Levine, Sal and I had been discussing the late unpleasantness. Mr. Levine was called away and a Spyderco enthusiast walked up and wanted to know about Spyderco knives. I showed him the E4W regular deployment pull several times with Sal watching as I talked about the Emerson wave. Sal took the knife, centered it in his front pocket, and did a reverse grip pull so fast, inches away from our bellies, that the other guy and I were stupified with fear and amazement. Sal is as quick as chain blue lightning. There may be snow on the roof but there is fire in the furnace.

Came home with a $25 Japanese red oak boken, $50 stainless machete with leather sheath (El Salvador), a $35 rainbow leak with a $5 leather zippered pouch, a giant $17 Navaja (I know) and a smile on my face. Another great, must see, show.

oregon
Is there ever going to be a waved trainer? I would really like to practice pushing the evelope safely.
Gollum

Post by Gollum »

Ron_Miami wrote:Is there ever going to be a waved trainer? I would really like to practice pushing the evelope safely.
Sometime this year ???
Attachments
amsterdammeet2007_enduratraineropen.jpg
amsterdammeet2007_enduratraineropen.jpg (87.55 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
amsterdammeet2007_delicatrainer.jpg
amsterdammeet2007_delicatrainer.jpg (91.27 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
krazichinaman

Post by krazichinaman »

oregon wrote:At OKCA this morning Sal was kind enough to demonstrate the reverse grip pull of my waved Endura 4.

oregon

Could you possibly take a quick video of you doing this and maybe place it online for all of us to see? Im very interested in this but I cant picture it from what is written.

Or maybe Sal, could you post a video of you doing this? I have the wave, but im only aware of opening it one way from the pocket.
________
Dr-Z400
________
Ava.Doll
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

I would love to see a Sal demo video! (But also realize he has better ways to spend his time than fulfilling our voyeuristic knife-draw fantasies.)

That's a great story, a similar to a couple of others' descriptions of Sal expert technique. Sal -- if you ever come to a show on the East Coast (NYC or Philadelphia region) I'll be there hoping to see your reverse grip wave opening. :D

Sounds like you had a great day, oregon. Thanks for posting.
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Awesome, I like that "snow on the roof, but fire in the furnace" saying, never heard that before. :p

Eric (and Sal too probably) is also VERY handy with a bali, another reason to mourn I guess. :(
oregon

Post by oregon »

krazichinaman wrote:Im very interested in this but I cant picture it from what is written.
I don't pretend to have Sal's ability with the reverse grip (I am delighted with the forward grip). And, frankly, Sal's right hand moved so fast that I'm not sure that I saw the reverse grip draw and slash move today. I saw it when it started and I saw it after his hand completed the arc. He asked me to watch closely and I tried. He only did it once.

Right-handed: clip the waved knife into the middle of your right pocket, as you pull the knife twist it in your hand so that as the hand traces a belly high flat arc the butt of the knife preceeds the blade, in a slashing motion the blade points to your right and sweeps from your right to your left, the blade trails the butt of the knife.

Come to the show next year. Pay your $5. See legends in their own time doing those things which make them legends.

Sal's been practicing and working on his moves with stunning results.

oregon
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

OK....I can do that ;) ...it's a really cool opening and slashing move, I have been practicing it ever since I got a waved Endura....I'm gonna have to have a quick draw contest with Sal and see whose's quicker on the draw ;) ...Doc :D
Hint:
The key to quickness is to place the index finger behind the Endura (thumb on the clip side) and twist (counter clockwise) as you pull it from the pocket, hence the reason the knife is placed in the middle of the pocket as opposed to near the end. It should come right into your palm in Pikal Grip blade facing out (my favorite grip position), and one can incorporate a horizontal slashing technique from right to left very quickly.
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

oregon

oregon!! I was there on Saturday!!! So sorry I didn't get to meet you! :eek:

I know exactly what you are saying about Sal and using the wave! Did you see him wave the Pkal?? Unreal!! After seeing and holding this knife, I understand the practicality of it for SD!!! (Eric, love your redesign of the ball lock!!)

A Navaja, eh? Nice!! *Wink* ;)

Glad you had a great time, oregon. We're going to have to meet next year!

Tim :D
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
oregon

Post by oregon »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Hint:
The key to quickness is to place the index finger behind the Endura (thumb on the clip side) and twist (counter clockwise) as you pull it from the pocket, hence the reason the knife is placed in the middle of the pocket as opposed to near the end. It should come right into your palm in Pikal Grip blade facing out (my favorite grip position), and one can incorporate a horizontal slashing technique from right to left very quickly.
Excellent! Thank you kindly for the tip on finger placement.

I think I've got it: To begin the move you have a two finger grip (thumb on clip indent and index finger on inside handle) which flows into a full fist grip.

orgon
krazichinaman

Post by krazichinaman »

[quote="Dr. Snubnose"]OK....I can do that ]

Could you please possibly take a video or ,take a step by step picture of the process? The more I read about this technique, the more I want to learn it.

~Brian
________
Ordinary Life Insurance Forums
________
WIKI VAPORIZER
oregon

Post by oregon »

Puyallupknifegu wrote:oregon!! I was there on Saturday!!! So sorry I didn't get to meet you! :eek:
Tim :D
Next year my friend.

You would have had your work cut out for your following me. I had four tables on my hit list: Levine, Crucible, Kershaw and Brunckhort. Then quick scan of every single table and every single item. Then revisit my targeted tables for purchases, out to the car to unload, and back for more purchases. Then a couple of more quick scans of maybe/maybe nots.

Quite exciting for me. Despite my swift pace I manage to meet some terrific people, learn new stuff and have a ball. This show is soooo different from say a gun show: no armed guards, everyone is an enthusiast and everyone is polite and knowledgeable.

All the best,

oregon
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

oregon wrote: This show is soooo different from say a gun show: no armed guards, everyone is an enthusiast and everyone is polite and knowledgeable.
I always find everyone EXTREMELY polite at gun shows, at least in the Southeast. I noticed this one time because when I bumped into someone else, he was quick to apologize to me! I chalked this up to the assumption that everyone is carrying and you really don't want to piss off a redneck with a gun on him.... :D
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

krazichinaman wrote:Could you please possibly take a video or ,take a step by step picture of the process? The more I read about this technique, the more I want to learn it.

~Brian
Kraz: Ask anyone here...I'm techo-no phobic...chances are I wouldn't be able to do the video or take step by step pics...and certainly if I could would know where to begin on how to post them...cept to ask other forum buddies to do it for me...but if you have any questions about what I already described...PM me and I'll try to walk you throught it....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

oregon wrote:Excellent! Thank you kindly for the tip on finger placement.

I think I've got it: To begin the move you have a two finger grip (thumb on clip indent and index finger on inside handle) which flows into a full fist grip.

orgon
Oregon...You are welcome...you seemed to have gotten it! Good Job!....Doc :D