Sharpmaker Q

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zeppelin

Sharpmaker Q

Post by Zeppelin »

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. I've really made good use of my sharpmaker in the last couple of years I've had it, but it's getting to the point where if I try and sharpen something with the white stones, the points on it get gummed up with metal dust after only a few strokes. I take them out and clean them with some Comet cleanser and a sponge until they're white again, but then after just a few minutes, it's gummed up and not functioning as well as it should once again. Have I messed up my stones or is this just something I'm going to have to get used to? Even with this problem the thing is still lightyears ahead of the plain old Arkansas stones I once used. Thanks
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Good question Zeppelin.

I discovered the same thing with my white stones :confused:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
JBE

Post by JBE »

I have an old 203 Sharpmaker and have noticed the same thing with the whites. Maybe it's just a long-term effect from all the sharpening (esp. with the harder, modern steels) causing the whites to lose some of their "fineness" and becoming a bit coarser. Or it could be that the knives you're sharpening have their angles set over the long-term from using the Sharpmaker and your hand positioning and are now having more of the edge abraded by the stones.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I noticed this only on the corners of white stones. Especially they are getting saturated fast when I sharpen serrations. I use Mr. Clean eraser to clean corners. It is work great, just one pass.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian