the silent spyker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clovisc

the silent spyker

Post by clovisc »

it intrigues me why the SPYKER hasn't sold out of vendors' stock and become a collector's item long ago... i mean, a spyderco with stylish CF, S30V, a unique design, limited one-time production... come on! a hefty price-tage, but surely the materials and design are worth it.

also, there's very little discussion of it here on the forums. never hear it listed in EDC rotations, never see pictures... what about the spyker turns people off? the writing on the blade? the fact that it's a collaboration with ken onion / kershaw?

hmmmmmm... :confused:
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

weak lock, enormous labeling on the blade, many don't like the inlays. this knife had a lot of potential but fell short in a few major aspects.
"A little temperance is a good thing" -- Sal Glesser

ozspyder

Quality issues

Post by ozspyder »

I bought a Spyker cos the design intrigued me. Unfortunately though I had to have it returned as it was absolutely digusting in its finish quality. The Spyderhole had massive burrs in it, and it ruined what essentially (IMHO) was a quality knife with good fittings etc.

Didn't have much time to play around with it, but the knife seemed to be very solid and weighty for its size, but if I remember correctly the liner lock seemed rather thin for the size/ weight of the knife.

I still haven't got my replacement Spyker as yet. I like the kris-like wavy blade and the Kershaw/ Onion collab looks unique. I too am surprised that the knife hasn't been as well received....similarly the Volpe, I believe hasn't yet sold out. ???? not sure why.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I personally find it ugly and I have only heard bad things about the lock. I hate to say it but if I wanted a knife like it, I'd go Kershaw.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

Is this knife an 'assisted' opener?
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Darkfin wrote:Is this knife an 'assisted' opener?
Nope, I think it's just a manual.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Granted, the fit and finish are above average. But for me, the silly looking silver CF arcs in the handle and billboard writing on the blade make it look cheap. Couple that with my general dislike for recurves, swedge grinds, G-10, and handed locks and there was nothing much left to like about it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

This was a 3000 piece run IIRC. That's a large sprint run. Too big to really make money on as a collector.For me personally, It's one of the few spyders I bought that I never carry. Mine is built well, but for some reason I never got in the habit of carrying it. When I bought it I didn't have the spyderco sharpener, and figured I'd ugly it up sharpening it on my DMT's due to the recurve. I can sharpen it now, but I now also have other largish knives I like better like the BG42 Millie, the stretch, R2 etc. Between these and my always with me Endura I still have no need for it.

The market is getting better and better all the time. Lots of really great knives keep on hitting the market regularly. In the mean time the Spyker still sits on the shelf. I have yet to see it get discounted, or sold at clearance rates. Chances you will see it around for awhile. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
A. Stanton

Post by A. Stanton »

I bought one too and never carried it. I like the inlays in the handle. However, if I had to sum up the entire knife with one statement that would be: "This knife looks like something you would see on an episode of Star Trek." The wavy-gravy blade is a bit much.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

as a fan of Onion designs and recurves .....IMHO the Spyker is a well made piece.....No I don't like the big SPYKER on the blade....the silver twill inlays is kinda like the Volpe....either you like it or hate it......Using the knife is a Joy....the linerlock on mine is as tight and reliable as the one's on any of my Military's......As a show queen....it ain't too pretty....but as a user blade....it shines.... :cool:
to sharpen, I use a $4 ceramic "steel" (non tapered) for the "hawkbill part" and a strop/benchstone for the "upswept wharnie" part of the blade....
I've read stuff about failing locks with Spine Whakkking....but IIRC Zen described this happening with some CF Militaries until the liner lock "seated" or got worn in a little bit.....
I agree the knife ain't cheap.....esp in light of more affordable recurves like Kershaw's Junkyarddog 2 (which I've ordered.... ;) ) .....but I think the Spyker is getting a "bad rep" that is undeserved....my 3 cents...
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
druid

likeing the spyker

Post by druid »

I like the knife I'm not fanatical about it mine came with burs in the spider holes. the Twill which I like has some small gaps, the lockup was not great before I sent it back for a touchup and now it is fine, in fact it is a recess nature of the liner lock I find it more secure than a military,at least in my mind
someone pointed out that the design is very comfortable closed and the fittest in this is true I also find the handle works in the number of group decisions very well. I think it fails as a collectors piece do some quality control issues. but if you can get a good one much I have it makes a great upscale user. :p
why
JD Spydo

Function versus beauty

Post by JD Spydo »

OK, OK so the Spyker has some features that some of you don't happen to like. But let's turn that thinking around for a minute. For the first serious "recurve design" I think the Spyker is a really well designed blade. Now I have not seriously put mine to hard use but I certainly wouldn't be hesitant to do that.

I personally like that inlay on the handle myself. AS far as the printing on the blade>>> Well what the heck would that have to do with how good of tool that the Spyker could potentially be? I really love that blade design myself. It is one of the first recurves that I came to like. It doesn't seem like any of you guys are basing your dislike on anything other than what it looks like. But I'll take FUNCTION over aesthetic appeal anyday.

As far as the liner locks are concerned: I have never had a Spyderco liner lock fail on me. At one time I had a fully serrated Military model that I used hard. Never a problem. My Captain model has a liner lock. AGain no problem so far. I admit that I do like the lockback and compression locks somewhat better but I have never had any Spyderco lock ever fail on me. This is a classic case where a Spyder knife didn't pass the "LOOKS TEST". I really think that's all it boils down to. I've heard the same type of comments about the Captain. And it's becoming one of my personal favorite Spyders.

I know we are not all going to like the same blades. But I do challenge you guys to at least try to use one before you make your final analysis of the Spyker. :)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I train MBC with tip-up trainers, I don't carry anything that's tip-down, plus the hideous writing. Expensive too. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

JD Spydo wrote: It doesn't seem like any of you guys are basing your dislike on anything other than what it looks like. This is a classic case where a Spyder knife didn't pass the "LOOKS TEST". I really think that's all it boils down to.
:)
Don't worry JD, as history shows, the ugly knives that at first are slow sellers will become hotter than the proverbial popcorn fart and once the Spyker is sold out everyone will want one because of it's bad looks and the next generation of Spydie-knuts will be all over them. ;)
Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

[quote="fellyjr"]Don't worry JD, as history shows, the ugly knives that at first are slow sellers will become hotter than the proverbial popcorn fart and once the Spyker is sold out everyone will want one because of it's bad looks and the next generation of Spydie-knuts will be all over them. ]

Too true, Felly! Too True!!!
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

JD Spydo wrote:OK, OK so the Spyker has some features that some of you don't happen to like. But let's turn that thinking around for a minute. For the first serious "recurve design" I think the Spyker is a really well designed blade. Now I have not seriously put mine to hard use but I certainly wouldn't be hesitant to do that.

I personally like that inlay on the handle myself. AS far as the printing on the blade>>> Well what the heck would that have to do with how good of tool that the Spyker could potentially be? I really love that blade design myself. It is one of the first recurves that I came to like. It doesn't seem like any of you guys are basing your dislike on anything other than what it looks like. But I'll take FUNCTION over aesthetic appeal anyday.

As far as the liner locks are concerned: I have never had a Spyderco liner lock fail on me. At one time I had a fully serrated Military model that I used hard. Never a problem. My Captain model has a liner lock. AGain no problem so far. I admit that I do like the lockback and compression locks somewhat better but I have never had any Spyderco lock ever fail on me. This is a classic case where a Spyder knife didn't pass the "LOOKS TEST". I really think that's all it boils down to. I've heard the same type of comments about the Captain. And it's becoming one of my personal favorite Spyders.

I know we are not all going to like the same blades. But I do challenge you guys to at least try to use one before you make your final analysis of the Spyker. :)

yeah great points JD.....
Spyderco's are all about Function 1st and foremost, the looks are always secondary.....I guess everyone knows how the Delica/Endura used to be called "the fugliest kids on the block" but after folks USE the knife as Sal made it to be.....then they "understand" why its a :spyder: ....
Its one of the more expensive clipits out there no doubt, but to me my Spyker is everybit as good Functionally as my CF Military is....
So if i want a "pretty boy" :spyder: i'll get a Kiwi or Kopa esp. those SFSW versions.....the Spyker is as druid stated ....a "great upscale user".... :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."