Installing a new motherboard...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
KSDbass

Installing a new motherboard...

Post by KSDbass »

Here's the deal. I bought a motherboard from Gigabyte, but I can't get it to work. It came with a drivers CD, but I'm not sure when to install it. I'm using the same hard drive I've been using, so it's got alot of stuff on it, so I'm not sure if this is the problem. Should I install the drivers on a completely empty harddrive? Or one with just XP? or what?

I tried installing XP on an empty harddrive, but whenever I try to boot to it, after it verifies the VMI Pool (I forgot the acronym, it should be something like that) it just says "

Boot to CD/DVD:

Boot to CD/DVD

*cursor here*"

Then when I try to install on the harddrive with the stuff on it, it brings me to the "Xpress Recovery 2" screen, which is one of the drivers it comes with, and it gives me the option of either rebooting or backing my hard drive up, because that's what the program does. Well, I hit reboot, and the CD tray opened, so naturally I took the CD out. It reboots, I think it POSTs, but then I get a blue error screen for around half a second, and my computer reboots again.

Help, anyone?

Edit: I also tried installing the drivers on my old computer, and it brought up an installation window, but the installation went in an endless loop, so that doesn't work either...
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
cgjones

Post by cgjones »

Will the computer even boot into Windows with the new motherboard?

The drivers will need to be installed once you have Windows up and running, assuming that Windows doesn't already have drivers for the new components.

Are you using an XP install disc, or recovery discs that came with the computer?
Carson
*Cho*

Post by *Cho* »

What is the primary and secondary boot drive setting (forgot what it is called) set to in the BIOS?

If it isn't set to HDD0 (or whatever the HDD setting is) and if your harddrive isn't labelled as that drive then it won't boot from the Hard drive.

To get into BIOS (even though I'm pretty sure you know how too) keep hitting Del on the post screen (first screen).
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

CGjones- no, it won't boot into windows, and I'm using an XP install disc.
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
sanman951

Post by sanman951 »

When it tries to boot does it BSOD? If so boot from the WinXP install disk then reinstall windows. It will ask you if you want to format or repair the current installation and you should repair. What this does is relocks the hardwear to the install but leaves your settings the same and you should be fine at that point but you will need to redo all the updates.

The reasion it is doing this if it's doing what I think it is, is because WinXP locks it's install to your CPU and Mobo and if you change one of them you have to reinstall.

If it doesnt BSOD, check your clear yoyur BIOS and make sure it reconizes your HDD (jumper settings are correct). Other than that I couldn't tell you what the problem is with out actually seeing it or talking to you while its booting.

Hope you thae best of luck, i know it can be a pain I've been there
Darkfin

The FINAL Solution...

Post by Darkfin »

There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Try this-

Good information that might help you.

This also!