Models that you wish were available in SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Models that you wish were available in SE

Post by JD Spydo »

It really perplexes me as to why some Spyderco knives are not available in the fully serrated variety :confused: . With Spyderco being the quinitescential Godfather of serrated blades I just sometimes wonder why certain models of them are not available with TEETH? :cool:

One model in particular that I would pay dearly for in the serrated version would be the C-111 Captain. It is a superb blade in plain edge. But I could do a myriad of additional jobs if I had a serrated Captain. Even it's creator/designer said on another Forum thread that he originally designed it with the curved part being serrated. hint, hint :D

So with all of the Great Golden Colorado Spyders currently not offered in fully serrated as well as a few specialized models I ask you all which ones do you all wish they would offer in fully serrated. I would also buy a Chinook III in a heartbeat in fully serrated. So which ones do you all desire in serrated?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Ooooh, this thread needed to be started.

I definately agree with the captain. I think a lighweight (read: more affordable) captain with SE inside the curve would be an awesome work knife.

I'd also like to nominate the Lava. It has amazing egros and blade, but a short blade would definately benefit from teeth. The old SS copilot had teeth, and the one I have chews like a pirannah.

I think even the Manix could benefit from teeth. But then again, I don't have one...
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

I've often wondered how a Persian / 75mm Persian would cut with a full Spyderedge....I'd buy one of each for sure... ;)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
JD Spydo

Curved serrations: It just makes sense

Post by JD Spydo »

[quote="jaislandboy"]I've often wondered how a Persian / 75mm Persian would cut with a full Spyderedge....I'd buy one of each for sure... ]

OH I wholeheartedly agree Brian :cool: That and the Chinook III model both. Serrated blades with convex belly are not only nice to the eyes but very functional as well.

Not to mention the fact that my serrated Ayoob is one of my favorite SD carrying blades as well. AGain I say that SE gets a bum rap. There is just a great deal of misconception about serrated blades.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

How about a Kiwi with smaller serations?
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Here's a whole group that needs serrations: The byrds.

I'm really dissapointed that only the finch and robin are the only two SE blades in the bunch. I'd personally love to see a full SE raven (or catbyrd ;) )
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

JD Spydo wrote:OH I wholeheartedly agree Brian :cool: That and the Chinook III model both. Serrated blades with convex belly are not only nice to the eyes but very functional as well.

Not to mention the fact that my serrated Ayoob is one of my favorite SD carrying blades as well. AGain I say that SE gets a bum rap. There is just a great deal of misconception about serrated blades.

Yeah, the Chinook 3 with full SE or even the Rhino Lil Temp with Spyderedges sounds awesome....it wasn't until I got my Massad Ayoob SE recently that I've come to realize that when slicing, the Spyderedge seems to perform best on a blade with some belly...as an example...Ii took an old Tshirt to cut up into rags..... while the relatively "straight" SE blade on my Pacific Salt or the hawkbill SE on my Harpy will usually snag, tear, or rip the cloth (a little bit), the Ayoob's teeth sliced effortlessly thru the cotton with surprisingly very little friction.......much to my amazement! :cool:
...so I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a fully SE Chinook3 (SE Trailing Point Lil' Temp, sounds good too) sounds great to me (as does the Lava).....perhaps with VG-10 blades :rolleyes: in light of recent threads posted on chipped teeth :eek: !
Now i understand why you like the Dyad's SE blade so much....
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Th232

Post by Th232 »

[quote="cobrajoe"]Here's a whole group that needs serrations: The byrds.

I'm really dissapointed that only the finch and robin are the only two SE blades in the bunch. I'd personally love to see a full SE raven (or catbyrd ]

I'd second that. Give the Catbyrd its teeth and claws back!
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

steeltiger

Post by steeltiger »

On all the upswept blades I own (nonspyder's) I think that the forward half of the blade only should be serrated, to aid in slashing and in harder to reach cutting media, whilst leaving the plain edged portion available for normal utility use, I don't have to much use for serrations, as a wikedly sharp edge from a DMT extra coarse can do most everything a SE can, but thats another issue. I think a Dodo and the yojimbo could probably do well with a full serrated edge :cool: .
_''the ultimate awnser to life the universe and everything is......42''----
douglass Adams
_Thats my window on the world, if you dissagre please pm me
_''free and easey down the road I go''-Dierks Bently

TWO BILLION YEARS......
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

the full-size manix would be a good option for fully SE, thought the combo-edge is OK for me too.
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

I'd like to see a "Mini-Captain" (maybe called the "XO" :) )--sort of a 3/4 size captain, with CE/SE offered as one of its options.

But the REAL need is for a PE Whale blade! (j/k--I still can't figure out how those things help whales.)
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Darkfin wrote:I'd like to see a "Mini-Captain" (maybe called the "XO" :) )--sort of a 3/4 size captain, with CE/SE offered as one of its options.

But the REAL need is for a PE Whale blade! (j/k--I still can't figure out how those things help whales.)
The Whale blade was custom made to free whales who got entangled in fishing nets and other terrors o' the sea.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

The back of an impala blade would seem to be the thing for net cutting.
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
s11ews

Post by s11ews »

got to be a spyder edge chinook 3, and if i could have it all my way i would also love a spyderedge ukpk, lots of cutting power and it'll still be legal :cool:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

None. There is nothing I do with a pocket knife where serrations are an advantage and a number of things where they are a distinct disadvantage.

I do wish the PE versions of the all stainless versions of the C14 and C45 and the FRN C45 had been made. Also wish Spyderco would continue the practice of offering both edge types on the Salt series knives when they release the Saver Salt.

No need to be perplexed JD, Sal has explained on numerous occasions that the decisions as to what is available in what edge type are market-driven. Put simply, he's had to "eat" too many SE custom collaboration models to be anxious to set himself up for another such meal. You, and a few dozen others here may want them, but, as with some of the things I crave, that's not enough to warrant production of a batch of them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bma

Post by bma »

JD Spydo wrote: So with all of the Great Golden Colorado Spyders currently not offered in fully serrated
Aren't the Military/Paramilitary made in Golden, and have serrations?
JD Spydo

SPECIAL ORDERED: Paid in advance

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:None. There is nothing I do with a pocket knife where serrations are an advantage and a number of things where they are a distinct disadvantage.

I do wish the PE versions of the all stainless versions of the C14 and C45 and the FRN C45 had been made. Also wish Spyderco would continue the practice of offering both edge types on the Salt series knives when they release the Saver Salt.

No need to be perplexed JD, Sal has explained on numerous occasions that the decisions as to what is available in what edge type are market-driven. Put simply, he's had to "eat" too many SE custom collaboration models to be anxious to set himself up for another such meal. You, and a few dozen others here may want them, but, as with some of the things I crave, that's not enough to warrant production of a batch of them.
You know Deacon you make a good point as far as Sal not having success with some of the past models that he made in serrated that obviously didn't sell well. But there is a way around that though. You could make certain models available in SE by Special Order ONLY. That way the blade would already be sold before you even ground in the serrations.

Or it could be done strictly and only on a PRE-ORDER basis. I am not the only one that has echoed the desires for a serrated version of the Captain. AS I said even it's designer said that he originally designed it with the curved part being serrated. I know that the few of us who like serrated blades are in the minority so to speak. But if they are special ordered and paid for in advance there would certainly be no way for anyone to lose on that note.
JD Spydo

A few but not many Golden models in SE

Post by JD Spydo »

bma wrote:Aren't the Military/Paramilitary made in Golden, and have serrations?
Yes I had a Paramilitary once that was fully SE. However that was about 2 to 3 years ago. I have also owned a Military model ( 440V version) that was fully serrated but I have not seen any of the newer ones with fully serrated blades. If I'm wrong I'd like to know about it. AS far as I know the Lil T and the TI ATR were both made fully serrated and from Golden.

I would love a fully serrated Military again. However I would be content with one of the older 440V versions without having to make a new one. 440V was not bad steel at all. However it was a MONSTER to sharpen :eek:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:You know Deacon you make a good point as far as Sal not having success with some of the past models that he made in serrated that obviously didn't sell well. But there is a way around that though. You could make certain models available in SE by Special Order ONLY. That way the blade would already be sold before you even ground in the serrations.

Or it could be done strictly and only on a PRE-ORDER basis. I am not the only one that has echoed the desires for a serrated version of the Captain. AS I said even it's designer said that he originally designed it with the curved part being serrated. I know that the few of us who like serrated blades are in the minority so to speak. But if they are special ordered and paid for in advance there would certainly be no way for anyone to lose on that note.
I can see a two obvious problems with that, JD. Neither one of those methods would work with Seki models like the Captain where an MINIMUM of 600 pieces must be ordered by Spyderco. Would you really want to pay in advance for one in the hope 599 other people also want one enough to do so? As for the Golden made knives, Sal has on a number of occasions explained that he feels Spyderco's limited manpower there can be put to more productive uses than operating a custom shop. I could be wrong, but I think accepting "special orders" or "pre-orders" for knives with a "non-catalog" edge type would fall into the category.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:I can see a two obvious problems with that, JD. Neither one of those methods would work with Seki models like the Captain where an MINIMUM of 600 pieces must be ordered by Spyderco. Would you really want to pay in advance for one in the hope 599 other people also want one enough to do so? As for the Golden made knives, Sal has on a number of occasions explained that he feels Spyderco's limited manpower there can be put to more productive uses than operating a custom shop. I could be wrong, but I think accepting "special orders" or "pre-orders" for knives with a "non-catalog" edge type would fall into the category.
A simple way around that is to just get enough orders in advance before you do it. AS far as having to order 600 at a time there is a way around that also. Let's just say you have about 200 brothers who want a serrated version C-111 Captain for instance. Just tell the brethren at Seki to make 200 out of that batch of 600 in serrated and the remainder in the popular PE version. AS much business as Spyderco throws at them I can assure you they would be glad to get the extra business and that could add up if enough demand for enough models would occur over time.

Also I guess you would have to have pretty broad appeal for a certain model but I have already heard several echoes concerning the Captain model in SE. If the demand is there for certain models it can be accomplished. I do know that profit is certainly the bottom line. You could also have a provision that any pre-ordered or Special Ordered Spyders would also have to sell for full retail. Where there's a WILL there's a way. JD