What was the last album you listened to?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dedguy

What was the last album you listened to?

Post by dedguy »

I figure on this forum with the rather diverse crowd we have we'll get a rather diverse cross section of album reviews. I always find it difficult to find new music and am always looking for new music so... I'll go first.

2raumwohnung - 36grad

I love 2raumwohnung (literally "2roomapartment"), one of probably my top 10 favorites. They use both acoustic instruments (often looped) and synth drums and other instruments to create "pop" music that is very much unlike anything you may be used to from the US market. European pop tends to be more complex and musically interesting than US pop while still maintaining catchy hooks and a beat you can dance to. Even among European pop 2raumwohnung to me sticks out. Their unusual use of acoustic instruments and the odd composition of thumping danceable beats and mellow dreamy female vocals really create a unique sound.

I'd highly suggest checking them out for anyone looking for something new to listen to at the office or are a fan of Euro-pop. The one thing you may have to get past is that fact that all their lyrics are in German so unless you know German singing along is rather difficult.

Albums also by 2raumwohnung (in chronological order): kommt zusammen, in wirklich, es wird morgen.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
butch

Post by butch »

korn unpluged
yes there now sellouts but i like unpluged CDs

if you count right now like this very second i have the sneaker pimps playing :D
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

the first recordings of the velvet underground -- a new acetate was recently discovered and the tracks were put online. similar to their first official album, but different mixes on some songs and different takes on others, plus a different sequencing. amazing stuff if you like VU.
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

Considering I don't listen to music all that much - Nelly Furtado's latest "Loose".

- gord
java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

Woke up with a yen to listen to some old Robert Plant Fate of Nations and The Police Synchronicity......

May slide back later into some retro-synth Tangerine Dream or cow-punk-metal D.A.D. courtesy of Voxnaes..

:D
j
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
:spyder:
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i've got some strange and eclectic taste in music...

i've been listening to dillinger, the early/mid-70s "toast" style reggae artist... kinda this gangster/trickster character who chatters and rhymes over instrumental tracks. that whole genre of music is what led to the development of the hip-hop we have today.

also have been getting a kick out of listening to ABBA. :eek: i love the cheese and nostalgia -- reminds me of singing karioke and watching central european VH1 in africa.

listen to a lot of lycia -- gloomy, atmospheric "goth" music... almost "new age" music for goths! :eek: doesn't get much funnier than that!

when i want to listen to blood-pumping metal, it's usually converge... don't think i've ever heard any recordings that sound harder or heavier than they do. anyone who likes metal should really check them out.

the stooges are still one of my all time favorites...
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

Black Snake Moan soundtrack
"A little temperance is a good thing" -- Sal Glesser

dedguy

Post by dedguy »

clovisc wrote: listen to a lot of lycia -- gloomy, atmospheric "goth" music... almost "new age" music for goths! :eek: doesn't get much funnier than that!
Sounds like Delerium.
clovisc wrote: i've been listening to dillinger, the early/mid-70s "toast" style reggae artist... kinda this gangster/trickster character who chatters and rhymes over instrumental tracks. that whole genre of music is what led to the development of the hip-hop we have today.
Sounds like dub?
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Godsmack 'Alive', Die Krupps 'The Final Option', Linkin Park 'Meteora' and Pink Floyd 'Meddle' are on my shuffle... along with 100+ other songs. Everything from classic rock(cash, young...) to techno (mainly Oakenfold) on there.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
ront

Post by ront »

I have been listening to a new cd by a band called "The Showdown" The cd is called "Temptation Come My Way". It is a pretty good cd!

Ron
buferoe

Post by buferoe »

Hi There,

My latest album I was listening to is: Asylum 45 from Non-Divine.
This is a band from the Netherlands and there Music style is Groove Metal.
They have a great Bass player, he's called Paul Groeneveld and he's my Nephew. ;)
It's there first album and it's great.
You can here some sound clips on there Website: http://www.non-divine.com

kind regards,

Werner
The only good knive is my sharp Spyderco........
snuffaluff

Post by snuffaluff »

The last album I listened to was:

Hallelu Et Adonai
Ted Pearce
Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

In honor of their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame:

Van Halen's, Women and Children First.
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
lerman

Post by lerman »

pearl jam-ten
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
ASA NISI MASA
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Well, my two favorite bands of all time are:
The Cure and James so when I can't think of anything else I'll play the greatest hits of those two on random. The most recent thing I've listened to other than that is Eyes Open and Final Straw both of those are albums by the band Snow Patrol
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Slvgx wrote:Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
those guys are really interesting and intelligent... i saw fly pan am about 4-5 years ago, and talked to them for a while about glen branca's music.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Harry White wrote:the first recordings of the velvet underground -- a new acetate was recently discovered and the tracks were put online. similar to their first official album, but different mixes on some songs and different takes on others, plus a different sequencing. amazing stuff if you like VU.
yea -- what a great band! i think people are out of their minds when they talk about how "experimental" and "influential" the beatles are, when meanwhile the velvets and the stooges were so much more out there during the same period of time... and have had much more of an impact on music nowadays!!!!!
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

clovisc wrote:those guys are really interesting and intelligent... i saw fly pan am about 4-5 years ago, and talked to them for a while about glen branca's music.
Cool cool. I'm listening to the GYBE! + Fly Pan Am Amazezine 7" Split right now.
ASA NISI MASA
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Harry White wrote:the first recordings of the velvet underground -- a new acetate was recently discovered and the tracks were put online. like VU.

Are you talking about the album bought for 75 cents at a garage sale 2 years ago in NY and put on Ebay last years and went for over 75 000.00$ :eek:

It' ON-LINE .. Where!?!?!?

I don't care for the vinyl.... I just want to listen to it...

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook