H1 Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Darkfin

H1 Steel

Post by Darkfin »

H1 is known for its resistance to rust, but how does it compare to other steels as far as usage? What other less corrosive resistant steels does it compare to as far as performance/edge retention?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I do not have any H1 blades yet, but here some info for you
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22168

H1 is work-harden steel, so with use Rc on the edge will increase and edge retention should get even better.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

Thanks, BH. Hard to believe it doesn't get brittle at the edge!

BTW, apologies in advance for duplicative posting, I is a new guy! Thanks :cool:
HoB

Post by HoB »

I was surprised at that as well (edge not getting brittle), but sofar no reports of significant chipping anywhere on the boards (and the Salts have been out for several yeaers now) and I haven't seen much either.
lerman

Post by lerman »

i was thinking the same, i bought my Friend a Pacific salt, and after four months of HARD use, it Had some chips but after a good job on the sharpmaker it was like new and i think one of the sharpest spyders I've seen.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i've beaten the bejesus out of my SE pacific salt for over two years now, and am amazed at how it still outcuts nearly every other folder that size that i own. still a regular cornerstone of my EDC. never had any chipping problems, and i have REALLY abused that knife!

my H1 tasman i've owned and abused for perhaps a year now, with similarly pleasing results.

the salt series is astonishing -- can't imagine what my stint in the peace corps in africa (which involved a 7 month rainy season, and continual, daily hard use around water) would have been without them. the only other folding knife that did me almost as well out there was my S440v mili, and i wouldn't carry it in the rain or use it around ponds, because it gets awfully annoying cleaning the little rust spots off of it time after time. and then even when it's not raining, there's a lot of sweat assauting the steel...

in other words -- GET A SALT! no, GET TEN! get as many salts as you can afford, and beat them up for years and years and years! i can't think of a better outdoor user... for someone who REALLY uses knives outdoors!

can't wait for the fixed utility blade!

to perhaps answer your question a bit better, SE H1 holds an edge for quite a LONG while, and sharpens up pleasingly easily. PE H1 compares to AUS8, i'd say, with similar ease of sharpening... GREAT for a field knife.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I am interested to see how the Schempp Camp Knife holds up to chopping.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Zac

Post by Zac »

Initial usage of H1 is similar to 440C, with a bit less edge retention. If you have a serrated H-1 knife, it gets hard very quickly with hard usage. Impact resistance is impressive.
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.