What about a new DOUBLE BLADE Spyder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

What about a new DOUBLE BLADE Spyder

Post by JD Spydo »

Well any of you who know me at all and a few of you do know me>> Well then you all know that my # 1 daily EDC carry is the C-44 Big Dyad. I truly have justifiable needs for a premium, plain edged blade and I have much need for a fully serrated blade. The Big Dyad has truly been a GOD-send in that regard. And the Dyad fever is slowing but surely infecting more and more of you.

But Spyderco for what ever reason is not going to bring back the big Dyad. OK I can see Spyderco's angle on this>> Because it is understandable that they would want to move on to new models, new designs and new concepts. That's how a corporation of any type stays competitive in this economic environment. So I think I have the solution.

Instead of lobbying to bring back the big Dyad why not just lobby for a brand new, completely unique, High Quality Double Bladed Spyder with a new design, locking system and blade genre. Whereas the Endura and Delica were the seeds which spawned some of the greatest folders in production knife history. In the same sense the big Dyad could be the platform for a brand new Double Bladed Spyder. Also have a big and small/medium versions to select from just like you had with the Dyads.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I wouldn't mind seeing a new double bladed knife from this company... but it'd have to be lefty friendly for me to buy it. As I recall, one or both of the spyderhole's was partially occluded when the knife was riding southpaw.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As long as it's 100% lefty friendly, has two PE blades, double bolsters, and nice natural material scales, count me in. Otherwise, I would not be interested.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Tell you what I've always wanted to see... and I don't know if this is exactly feasible... is a two bladed spydie that had both blades at the same end and oriented in such a way as to be mutually accessible. Naturally, there would have to be a right and left handed version since this would be even less off hand friendly than the original dyad... but I think it'd be very useful, no need to reorient the knife to use the other blade.

Here, I jotted something of what I was thinking down in paint... jpeg is attached.
Attachments
knife.JPG
knife.JPG (27.69 KiB) Viewed 2445 times
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
JD Spydo

The pluses and minuses of the DYAD

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm glad you 2 leftys chimed in with your complaint. Because I have heard that from at least 4 left handed guys I've talked to. That's one of the main reasons I started this thread was in hopes that any of you who have a complaint(s) about the big or small Dyad we could put it on the table and discuss it.

Because this is an excellent way to find out what shortcomings the first Dyad may have had that might have been a turn off to serious knife users. I had 2 different fishermen tell me that the lack of a good lanyard hole made them not use it for their job. Now I am right handed and the Dyad has never presented any problems for me in that regard.

The great availability of a plain edged and a fully serrated blade both in one knife is just simply great for my needs. That's why I just don't want to see this concept die out or get lost in the shuffle. I am really surprised that some major knife company didn't make a premium quality, double bladed knife before Spyderco did.

Here are 3 items I think need to be considered.
# 1 > lanyard hole
# 2 > Ambidextrous
# 3 > maybe a Different locking system
#4 > newer/better blade steel
# 5 > possibility of a different handle material ( More Grippy)
OK Woody and Yablanowitz I am counting on you guys especially. And Felly I know you got some suggestions. And all the rest of you who have ever owned or handled a big Dyad I look very forward to your input. :)
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Mmm... I'd say a complete overhaul of the Dyad would be in order.

First of all, a comp lock, so that the blades will obscure the opening holes as little as possible (or preferably not at all). That'll require dual liners, although it might be possible to just have a single liner (so right handers will have as much trouble as lefties :D ), but I don't know how that will work, strength wise.

Second, I'd personally like it big enough that the opening hole forms part of the handle when the other blade is open.

Blade length or type can vary, so I've just left both of them as long PE blades. Personally though, I'd prefer at least one Wharncliffe in there.

Admittedly, it's still pretty ugly (30 mins work?), but here's a concept drawing and rendering.
Attachments
Two Blades Render.jpg
Two Blades Render.jpg (26.91 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
Two Blades.JPG
Two Blades.JPG (32.84 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

That is pretty cool Will, at least a person could use it in relative comfort vs. the Dyad.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi JD Spydo - Without going into much detail I can tell you that, from what I have seen on the Leeds and Amsterdam mini shows, Spyderco is very much into the return of a two bladed model. Be it again a Dyad or some other model....
Especially in Amsterdam, Sal got engaged in a conversation over such a model. He also received new user input and feedback just like your initiative and feedback and ideas posted here.
Keep the ideas coming and don't stop your suggestions to Sal & Eric. I know that Sal will be reading this!

The old Dyad design died because of the introduction of a knock-off model from Asia. This killed the sales and thus the Dyad. Now, with Spyderco's widened production possibilities, they might be able to pull it off and beat the (unfair) knock-off competition.
Jurphaas :)
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Jurphaas wrote:The old Dyad design died because of the introduction of a knock-off model from Asia. This killed the sales and thus the Dyad. Now, with Spyderco's widened production possibilities, they might be able to pull it off and beat the (unfair) knock-off competition.
Is that hinting at a Byrd model? :D
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Th232

Post by Th232 »

zenheretic wrote:That is pretty cool Will, at least a person could use it in relative comfort vs. the Dyad.
Thanks. I always felt that the handle didn't look right (having never held one myself).
Jurphaas wrote:The old Dyad design died because of the introduction of a knock-off model from Asia. This killed the sales and thus the Dyad. Now, with Spyderco's widened production possibilities, they might be able to pull it off and beat the (unfair) knock-off competition.
Is that hinting at a Byrd model? :D
Will

Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Nice concepts , good to see creative people at work . Yes I too carry a C44 almost daily along with JD . My thoughts still are with the Salt H1 line if a double blade is to be seen in the future , seems to make sense as a work type in tough conditions , lanyard could be a problem ? . As stated earlier a Byrd type double may be an economic solution and pave the way later to a new Spyder type if sales are good .
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

My thoughts would be along the lines of a two bladed version of the C27 Horn. One larger pointed blade, and one smaller sheepsfoot one.
Paul
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

The Deacon wrote:My thoughts would be along the lines of a two bladed version of the C27 Horn. One larger pointed blade, and one smaller sheepsfoot one.
I like it, I like it!! :cool:
One question though Paul. Would you want it retro fitted with that ultra-sexy C27 clip or would you prefer it clip less? :p :D
JD Spydo

Please don't change the SE blade

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:My thoughts would be along the lines of a two bladed version of the C27 Horn. One larger pointed blade, and one smaller sheepsfoot one.
Well Deacon I am sorry to once again disagree with you. Although we don't disagree often :D . But that is one feature of the big Dyad that I love is the full sized, sheepsfoot serrated blade that it has now. If there is anything I don't want to see change is that big serrated blade with a bit of convex belly to it. That blade has really come to my aid on more than one occasion.

If I might ask what is it about the SE blade on the big Dyad that you find undesirable :confused: ??

Now I will agree with you that a beefier plain edged blade would be a welcome change. I wouldn't mind seeing a plain edged blade with more spine than what the current model has.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Will - I like your concept, especially for 30 minutes worth of work.

Flip one of the blades to open from the other side (front and back sides). When one blade is open, the handle that comes into contact with the fingers would not be touching the other blade. The palm-side would not touch all of the blade, and the area around the thumb (where most pressure is) wouldn't touch a blade.

Does that make sense?
Fusion

Post by Fusion »

Kind of going out on a limb here, just an idea, but...

What if it were to have 2 totally different blades, like the Tasman for one, and the Endura for another? Seems cool to have a curved and a straight blade in one convenient package to me...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:Well Deacon I am sorry to once again disagree with you. Although we don't disagree often :D . But that is one feature of the big Dyad that I love is the full sized, sheepsfoot serrated blade that it has now. If there is anything I don't want to see change is that big serrated blade with a bit of convex belly to it. That blade has really come to my aid on more than one occasion.

If I might ask what is it about the SE blade on the big Dyad that you find undesirable :confused: ??

Now I will agree with you that a beefier plain edged blade would be a welcome change. I wouldn't mind seeing a plain edged blade with more spine than what the current model has.
Well JD, it's simply that I have no need for a SE blade, so carrying a two bladed knife where one blade is serrated is foolish for me, as I will only ever use the PE blade.

In reality I'm fine with things just the way they are. I carry my Kiwi for tasks where a smaller, straight edged blade is the most logical thing to use, or the least likely to offend, and a Stretch or full size Persian for tasks where a longer blade, or one with some belly is more effective. That gives me choice, and two knives which are both very comfortable to use.

The Dyads, on the other hand are the most uncomfortable knives Spyderco has ever produced. They feel terrible, regardless of whether they are held in the right or left hand, due to the hump of the blade not currently being used. I really doubt if any two bladed knife would provide as good a combination of blade lengths and shapes and doubt even more that one could be built to provide them both in a package that would be anywhere near as comfortable to use as my two current knives are separately.
Paul
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Fusion wrote:Kind of going out on a limb here, just an idea, but...

What if it were to have 2 totally different blades, like the Tasman for one, and the Endura for another? Seems cool to have a curved and a straight blade in one convenient package to me...
I think it'd be really cool to see a Salt dyad, SE Hawkbill blade and a PE salt 1 blade would be the coolest thing ever. It might be a little trickty to get it to be comfortable when closed though.
Gibsoniam

A Two Headed Snake?

Post by Gibsoniam »

I've actually thought about a new/revised twin blade knife a lot. I, too, really like the big Dyad (though I've never owned one) as well as the mini dyad.

I would have to vote for a calypso or delica shaped blade, preferably flat ground, accompanied with either a wharncliff style pe blade or a sheepsfoot serrated edge, or a recurve blade with partial serrations.

Beyond that, if it would work in the form factor, I would love to see both blades lock with the ball bearing or, for our more restrictive shores, double mag locks would be cool.

I'm partial (now) to CF, but a G-10 handle would be good too. As long as its some color other than black. Another slick option would be bolstered with kopa like scales.

Keep in mind, I'm not a designer. Just a dreamer.

So long!
Mike :cool:

<><
1 Peter 3:15

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Winston Churchill

EDC
Spyderco Meerkat Sprint
HDS Systems EDC Executive 140W
Fisher Space Pen
edkrueger

Post by edkrueger »

Th232 wrote:Mmm... I'd say a complete overhaul of the Dyad would be in order.

First of all, a comp lock, so that the blades will obscure the opening holes as little as possible (or preferably not at all). That'll require dual liners, although it might be possible to just have a single liner (so right handers will have as much trouble as lefties :D ), but I don't know how that will work, strength wise.

Second, I'd personally like it big enough that the opening hole forms part of the handle when the other blade is open.

Blade length or type can vary, so I've just left both of them as long PE blades. Personally though, I'd prefer at least one Wharncliffe in there.

Admittedly, it's still pretty ugly (30 mins work?), but here's a concept drawing and rendering.
Make the holes more gunting like and make it a lockback.