Is Sharpmaker right for me

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
markd85

Is Sharpmaker right for me

Post by markd85 »

Hi All
I'm interested in getting my fish filleting knife as sharp as possible. I've been using a Lansky clamp type which does o.k. but is a real pain to use due to the long flimsy blade. The blade is 6" or 7" long so you have to re-clamp it 3 times to keep close to the same angle. So is the sharpmaker the right choice or will I still have problems sharpening due to the flexing on the tip of the blade? As a newbie, it seems logical to me that a pull through type sharpener would be the way to go for a blade like this but from my internet research nobody has very much good to say about these types. On the other hand, the sharpmaker seems to be the industry standard but is it right for me? Thanks for the help.
Mark
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

LJK

Post by LJK »

Welcome markd85: I've been using a Sharpmaker for about 5 years. I have two thin bladed fillet knives I keep shaving sharp with it. (Plus all my kitchen, hunting and EDC knives) I have a Lansky and used it alot before the Sharpmaker. Works ok, but once I got the hang of the 204 I put the Lansky away and never used it again. Its only weakness is heavy reprofiling. But all in all if your into knives the Sharpmaker is best 50.00 you'll ever spent.
TheSavageRabbit

Post by TheSavageRabbit »

My Sharpmaker could only be better if it were self cleaning. The instructional DVD speaks to the flexible blade issue.
I strive to be the man my dog thinks I am.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Sharpmaker is for everybody.
Luke_A_P

Post by Luke_A_P »

Another yes for the sharpmaker.

I use it to sharpen a 12" ham knife which is very flexible. You can't put so much pressure on a flexible knive, so it takes a little longer than other knives, but I easily keep that ham knife shaving sharp along the entire length.

Luke
markd85

Post by markd85 »

Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to give the Sharpmaker a try. To my knowledge, they are not carried in any store near where I live and I've seen the price vary quite a bit on the internet. Where's the cheapest place to buy with reasonable assurance I'll actually get what I paid for? Thanks again.
Mark
Saint-Just

Post by Saint-Just »

The Sharpmaker is probably by far the best possible choice. The fact that you cannot press as hard is actually an advantage, I think one always tries too hard at the beginning, applying more pressure than needed.
Do not hesitate to watch the DVD several times, because you will understand very easily the first time but there is more to it and watching Sal again after your first try will be of great benefits.
It was for me.
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre!
Gal. P. Bosquet, 25th Oct 1854
A. Stanton

Post by A. Stanton »

Mark,
I bought two (2) sharpmakers from Best Knives out of Fl. They are pretty good. And if you buy a sharpmaker, I would strongly advise you to also get a set of ultra fine stones from New Graham in VA. Once you get the edge to where you want it, you can maintain it by only using the ultra fines. This has been my experience.
LJK

Post by LJK »

Both New Graham and Knifeworks are top notch companies to deal with.
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

markd85 wrote:Is Sharpmaker right for me
I would have to say no!
"A little temperance is a good thing" -- Sal Glesser

markd85

Post by markd85 »

This is a great forum. Thanks to everybody for the advice. I love fishing and in the beginning I was only interested in getting my fillet knife sharp. Now I'm actually getting interested in knives and the sharpeneing process! Just what I needed, another hobby! Thanks again for the help. And to severedthumbs, why do you think sharpmaker is not the right choice? See Ya.
Mark