Who else has blade wobble on their black Calypso Jr?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Who else has blade wobble on their black Calypso Jr?

Post by GarageBoy »

Me and one other member so far have gotten Calypso Jrs which wobble like crazy..Any remedy other than send it in? (it was supposed to hold my PMillie's place while that is in W&R)
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

GarageBoy wrote:Me and one other member so far have gotten Calypso Jrs which wobble like crazy..Any remedy other than send it in? (it was supposed to hold my PMillie's place while that is in W&R)
If your talking about wobble side to side in the closed position, then yes, both of mine do that. But when they are open, they are both rock solid! I don't care so much when closed, but when it's open it should be like Fort Knox. :eek: ;)
swede

Post by swede »

When I was at SFO a few years ago, they had Caly Jrs on sale at a really good price. I went through a big box of about 50 knives and couldn't find one that didn't wobble from side to side. Sometimes the blade actually scraped the handle so badly, you couldn't close it easily. I never did buy one, although my more recent collectors model has no problems. Go figure!
Dave
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=452023 mine wobbles just like eCrypts
Were these SFO Caly Jrs Grey FRN or ZDP?
will_77

Post by will_77 »

I bought two black zdp caly jrs. Both have some slight wobble when closed (all my caly jrs have this). One had wobble when open, or side to side blade play. I took this one as my user, kept the other as my keeper. I laid down my 3 lb hammer on its side to use as an anvil, and gently tapped the rivet (with the clip removed) on the wobbly one. It tightened right up. Don't hit too hard, or you will deform the rivet, just lightly tap. After working the knife open/closed for a while, the action is now buttery smooth and no side to side play at all. I think it's just one of those things with riveted knives.
swede

Post by swede »

The ones I looked at were Grey FRN.
Dave
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

my gray frn caly has no blade play, fwiw.
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I had 3 of the grey ones, ROCK soild open and closed
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I have 1 black FRN Caly jr.

Despite having a terribly warped blade, the knife is solid when open ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
santiago

Post by santiago »

I've got one of the Grey FRN Caly Jrs... buttery smooth opening action and rock solid when open and closed. It's why I can't bear to carry it around.

Gotta pick up one of those ZDP's on the market now as a beater.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Yup, the reason I got mine and don't really care that it wobbles as long as it locks up, I love my Grey one too much
Texas guy

Post by Texas guy »

My two burgundy Calys are solid all around, they have the least blade play of any of my frn Spydies.
swede

Post by swede »

Actually, I was wrong in my post above. The ones I handled at SFO were the early black FRN. I went back and checked my grey and burgundy models, and they're tight.
Dave
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

I was actually considering getting my hands on one these ZDP189 Caly Jrs. but I have seen multiple posts here and on BF of the wobbling and/or warped blades. Holding off until this is addressed by Spyderco.
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

OuchThatsSharp wrote:I was actually considering getting my hands on one these ZDP189 Caly Jrs. but I have seen multiple posts here and on BF of the wobbling and/or warped blades. Holding off until this is addressed by Spyderco.
I wouldn't hold my breath. These appear to be issues that have plagued the Caly Jr. throughout its various iterations. I'm sure the company is aware of them, so if they weren't addressed with this latest run, I unfortunately don't think they ever will be.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Today I got two Calypso Jr.'s with black FRN and ZDP-189 - both have blade wobble in closed position - and to my surprise rock solid when opened :confused:

None of my others (FRN grey + burgundy) have wobble.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Padawan is right.

The Caly Jr has had minor problems throughout that have been fairly well documented. Just one of those things.

STR recommends correcting blade wobble by placing a razor blade between the handle and blade before tapping with the hammer. This supposedly keeps you from rendering the knife useless.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The new ZDP ones have pretty straight blades, however.
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

My ZDP caly jr. also has wobble in closed position but in locked position is the most solid locking backlock I have ever handled.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

My black ZDP Caly Jr also has some wobble side to side in the closed position and rock solid when open. Let's do some cutting.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian