Mini Manix CE Questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
niknud

Mini Manix CE Questions

Post by niknud »

I have a few Mini manix questions. I am thinking of upgrading my hiking / camping folder from the PE Native 3 to the Mini Manix CE (I am committed to knives with finger choils - preferably deep as I have very small hands.)

I recently picked up the Native 3 SE for my tool box to see what all the SE fuss is about. I am blown away by the cutting ability of the SE. Its ability to slice through cardboard like butter and wood... Its tremendous! Leading me to rethink my strategy in the field that I should not be with out a SE.

That said my first question is: Does the mini manix CE offer enough of a PE & SE on one blade to be effective? I know the mini manix blade is not all that long to share... could it be the geniuses at Spyderco found a way to squeeze all that goodness into one blade effectively or am i going to be in the field disappointed?

I am a firm believer that while I now do see the wonderful new virtues of the SE you can not be with out a PE. But let's be honest, how often do you really need your PE all the way up to the handle? So is there enough SE on the Mini Manix CE?

My second question is that I see a few different variations in the aggressiveness of the SE and I am Wondering why and how much effectiveness is lost on the what appears to be a less aggressive mini manix SE?

For example: the Native 3 has a Much more aggressive scallop then the mini manix CE. Why and how much is lost?

My last question is does anyone have any better recommendations other than a mini manix for my purposes based on the following criteria:
1. CE
2. small hands (I have held a Chinook II and I simply can not handle a knife so big - opening is a problem as well as hitting the lock - The Native fits perfect & I am assuming a mini manix is as large as I can go.)
3. I am a lefty so liner locks are preferred. I usually carry in my right pocket and open righty but I can and often do open & close lefty. In fact I threw out all my knives a few months ago when I discovered spyderco - finally a lefty friendly knife company. Of course years of righty knives leaves me ambidextrous like all other things in life.
4. I am a 1 knife at a time guy. I would prefer not to carry a SE & PE at the same time if possible.

Thanks in advance to all who can make any suggestions.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Well if you were open minded enough to try SE and realized the benefits you are correct to assume that CE will also be good.

The SE grind looking more aggressive is simply a function of the blade grind and the thickness of the blade. Those two variables will make one blade style "look" more agressive. I doubt any difference for performance could be noted by an average knife user...if such a difference does exist it is minimal.

I believe the CE to be perfect for camp/hiking purposes.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

There is always the perfect solution if you can find one - the C44P&S Dyad. One full flat ground trailing point plain edge blade, one curved sheepsfoot hollow saber ground full serrated blade, wrapped up in Micarta scales. One knife, both edges. Problem solved :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
WJR

Post by WJR »

I have a Mini-Manix CE and I really like it.

I bought it as a camping knife and have used it a little, but certainly not to its fullest ability.

I say go for it.

WJR
Zac

Post by Zac »

I chop with a Manix CE...you cannot beat it and it has toughness that other brands cannot rival.
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
Zdenek

Post by Zdenek »

niknud wrote:2. small hands (I have held a Chinook II and I simply can not handle a knife so big - opening is a problem as well as hitting the lock - The Native fits perfect & I am assuming a mini manix is as large as I can go.)
Are you joking? All Spyderco folders are small knives.
Zdenek

Manix, Mini-Manix, Military PE, LAVA

No other since then.
niknud

Post by niknud »

Zdenek wrote:Are you joking? All Spyderco folders are small knives.
Zdenek - I am going to assume you are just having fun here? A cricket & a Chinook could not both be considered small?

Actualy, I have a hard time finding gloves that fit - XS :mad: but don't let them fool ya :cool:
niknud

Post by niknud »

Zac wrote:I chop with a Manix CE...you cannot beat it and it has toughness that other brands cannot rival.
Zac - I was hoping chopping with the CE would be possible... thanks for confirming this.
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I bought a CE Mini Manix for camping/hiking use. Although it's a little heavy for, say, a short day hike, it's one solid knife. (And sometimes those little hikes can turn unexpectedly long...) I'm a big fan of CE and like having some SE in case I have to "rip" through something tough such as poly rope. You won't be disappointed with a Mini.
STR

Post by STR »

I think the Manix and Mini Manix are the two best knives Spyderco makes personally. I want a Mini and hope to find one here used or for trade since selling my full size one. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either edge you pick. The Mini is a great knife in the pocket and the hand with ample edge, and a great deep choil for super grip.

For what its worth, I rate all the knives I get to review and evaluate, work on for others or buy by a ten point system I made up. Its subjective to my own liking but then again it was made for my own way of deciding which ones met my standards best of all in what I call the 'perfect' folder, or as close as possible.

I basically look at all folders the same, looking for imbalances in the system as a whole by comparing the strength and weaknesses I see in the design and the way things all come together. Spyderco did it all correctly with these two knives.

My system gives a possible 10 points for each aspect with progressively lower scores based on my criteria. The whole criteria and scoring order is three pages long. The short version is like this. I look at comparing how each aspect works in balance with each other to make the folder work.
Those consist of:
1) Pivot pin rating
2) Stop pin/or lock bar and pin rating
3) Blade steel and function rating ( options IE, serrated, combo, pe )
4) Liner rating
5) Construction rating (whole of the parts and the quality of each used)
6) Rear spacer (s) or spring holder/spacer rating
7) Lock rating
8) Pocket clip rating (number of positions, mounting position for comfort in hand)
9) Ambi use rating (total ambi, semi ambi or not at all)
10)Fit and finish rating

The Manix and Mini Manix are one of very few folders I've scored 100 points for in all ratings. The closest ones to compete with this are the HK34 and HK29 by BenchMade which I give a 97 on my scale of a possible 100 points.

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
Zac

Post by Zac »

niknud wrote:Zac - I was hoping chopping with the CE would be possible... thanks for confirming this.
The flat grind, thick blade, strong lock, and weight of the Manix make it close to a fixed blade. Indeed, the lock is stronger than many fixed blades. It will indeed be good for chopping even in the CE, as the Spyderco teeth are very strong and will not chip like lesser serrations.
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
Zdenek

Post by Zdenek »

niknud wrote:Zdenek - ... you are just having fun here? ...
Actualy, I have a hard time finding gloves that fit
Me too have a problem to find gloves that fit my small hands, but a folder with a blade under 5" is, by my guess, a relatively small knife. And I mean what I say. My EDC is Voyager EL.
Zdenek

Manix, Mini-Manix, Military PE, LAVA

No other since then.
niknud

Post by niknud »

STR - Mini Manix gets 100 out of 100! that's most impressive...

Knifewing - I agree that the Mini-Manix is a bit heavier than what I would prefer [titanium liners anyone.?] Like you said short hikes can sometimes turn out to be long hikes which is where tough knives with CE's become important - thus my original post and almost definitley my soon to be purchased mini manix!