Knife for cousin who is about to finish basic for the ARMY.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Vincent

Knife for cousin who is about to finish basic for the ARMY.

Post by Vincent »

My cousin is about to finish basic Training in the Army, at the end of January. I feel it is my responsibility to get him a good knife. Something he can really depend on. I was looking at a Para as it is one of my favorite spydies, other than the Lil temp. Though I think the blade might be to small. the Military is a option, though I may end up keeping it for myself and well I'm not sure about a Liner lock. I do love the Military and think its awesome, it just in my experience, under hard use starts to loose its strength, as the liner lock becomes looser and then looser until the entire knife becomes a maraca. also not sure if a folder is better or a fixed.

let me hear it guys.

he will probably be infantry.
Zac

Post by Zac »

For field usage, I would go with an open spined knife like a Para, ATR, or Millie (partially open). Realistically, they are easy to clean. A Manix or Chinook is much harder because of the closed designs and these locks can have issues when too dirty. I would avoid backlocks as I have found using them in dirty areas can cause engaging problems.

I would go for the Para. At 3 inches, it is sufficient. Additionally, it has a very friendly handle. For field usage, the Reeve Frame Lock and Spyderco Compression Lock are the best compromise of strength, reliability, and ease of cleaning a knife can be found.
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Vincent, a Native, The Para, good old Endura...all will do him well...but I can't help to think if it was my cousin I'd be getting a Kabar USMC Fixed Blade or variant thereof...Just my thoughts......Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
i.v

Native

Post by i.v »

I spent 2 years out of my military service with a Native SE.
It's a good reliable knife, tough, light weight and easy to carry.
Never had any problems with dirt in the lock or anything of the sort, if you need cleaning just rinse it with water.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I'm wondering about the same for a friend of mine. I was going to get him a late christmas present before he ships out. He told me that on his base in arizona three inches is the limit for blades. I was thinking a native would be great, but it's an eighth of an inch over.

I'm thinking a foliage green delica would seem appropriate, but I'd like to hear what other people think too.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

cobrajoe wrote:I'm wondering about the same for a friend of mine. I was going to get him a late christmas present before he ships out. He told me that on his base in arizona three inches is the limit for blades. I was thinking a native would be great, but it's an eighth of an inch over.

I'm thinking a foliage green delica would seem appropriate, but I'd like to hear what other people think too.
I would say the Delica is an exellent choice ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
butch

Post by butch »

get him a IOU
wait till he gets to his unit and see if there is a blade lenth restrection
then get him a good small strong fixed blade (-6 inch blade) and be happy knowing that it will not fail as quick as any folder
if a folder is a must i loved my millie while i was in the corp
pm me if you have any ? other wise
butch
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
butch

Post by butch »

cobrajoe wrote:I'm wondering about the same for a friend of mine. I was going to get him a late christmas present before he ships out. He told me that on his base in arizona three inches is the limit for blades. I was thinking a native would be great, but it's an eighth of an inch over.

yep that happened to me i made a good friend of mine a OB knife fixedblade and now he cant use it (he shhiped from fort bliss to the gulf a while ago) :mad:
i haddent made it to open letters on his desk when he got back :mad:
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Full serrated whatever. Grunts are as bad as everyone else at sharpening knives. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
CWO

Post by CWO »

Wait until he completes AIT (comes after basic) and gets to his permanent duty station. AIT posts/schools have restrictions - including no knives in some. Avoid getting him a large knife. When you are a new soldier trying to learn your job and establish credibility - nothing says "Rookie" more than a new guy with a big knife.
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

A Leatherman tool..........

Not really a knife he'll not always want to cut!
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
eastr

Post by eastr »

yes wait till he is were he is going then buy your gift i would say delica mini manix or para milli all very tough and for the fixed blade well i just love the temprance. :spyder: rocks :cool:
"THE ROUGH RIDER”“FAR BETTER IT IS TO DARE MIGHTY THINGS..THAN TO TAKE RANK WITH THOSE POOR. TIMID SPIRITS WHO KNOW NEITHER VICTORY NOR DEFEAT.” THEODORE ROOSEVELT 1899
spyderco making mans oldest tool mans most advanced tool:spyder:
THE GREATSET POWER IS OFTEN SIMPLE PATIENECE
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

Simon G beat me to it, I know quite a few military guys, And almost all of them has said that at first they had their mall ninja gear all clipped up, but in the end they ended up using a leatherman/Gerber multitool and a Spyderco/Benchm*de etc. etc.
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I know at Ft. Campbell, circa 1995-99, the blade length for folders was around 3 inches. They did not really measure it, just kind of estimated it by eyeballing it. Initially I carried a SE Delica & a Gerber Multi-Tool, of which the Multi-Tool saw the most use. Prior to getting out I had moved on to a SOG Power-Plier Multi-Tool and a Emerson CQC-7. While the CQC-7 was technically over the 3" rule I never got any flak about it.

As other have said, hold off till they finish AIT and get to their permanent Duty Station. When they get there I would suggest the Delica if the rules are strict. If not I would suggest the Para-Military.

Forgot to add - Don't forget to include something to sharpen whatever knife you get them.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

I'd be looking at knives with a primary purpose of utility over any type of combat applications. They have enough stuff to effectively kill people over there. I'd be looking at a multitool of some sort and maybe a 3.5" and under folder.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

oh well if defiantly not for combat. that stuff is a joke if ya ask me. not to offend anybody, but a m16 or mp5 is alot more useful than a pocket knife in combat.

Why would the army or military in general have tighter restrictions on knives than civilians do. doest make to much sense, Police and firemen are allowed to carry pretty much anything they want including auto's.

He went back to fort Knox today, we were all surprised they get off for some time for Christmas.
Saint-Just

Post by Saint-Just »

Vincent wrote:Why would the army or military in general have tighter restrictions on knives than civilians do. doest make to much sense, Police and firemen are allowed to carry pretty much anything they want including auto's.
In the Army you do not ask "Why?". There are rules and you follow them! One might think it's a given, but apparently not.

Butch and CWO (his name is a hint, take it!) gave you the best possible advise.
Vincent wrote:I feel it is my responsibility to get him a good knife.
Exercise it wisely then. Happy New Year
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre!
Gal. P. Bosquet, 25th Oct 1854

Post by 224477 »

Army = Military C36 ???
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."